1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Following Christ - what is the difference

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Feb 23, 2006.

1. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

Matthew 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

2. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

There is no reasonable answer to support their possision. Will they drop their pride and come here to admit that they were wrong. Will they allow themselvs to learn.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Missing the point.

I am not a bit angry, have called no one a fool or even Raca.

Its just obvious that there is no difference. If it wrong to go to a funeral, it is wrong to have any possessions. In that interpretation both are given as things we must give up to follow Christ.

The Bible answer has been given several times in this thread. Funerals are not prohibited and we are not called to sell all we have to give to the poor. Both illustrations are matters of the heart.

I think it is even clearer now that no one can point out the difference in the two instructions.

4. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I think fols is a typo for folks. But I think you knew this already.

Now deal with his question, please. I am interested in your response.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Whoops, I see it now - thanks deejay.

Of course it is a typo, but it is easier to address that than answer the question.

6. Diggin in da Word

originally posted by C4K:
    Looks like you are calling someone fool or fools.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I apologise agin for the typo. I admit that I am fallible and make mistakes. I meant to type "folks."

Now, can you answer my question. Why is wrong for me to go to a funeral but okay to keep a computer I could sell to give the money to the poor?

8. Diggin in da Word

Are we forbidden to offend God's children? Or to cast a stumblingblock in one's path?

Do you know for sure that someone seeing you go in a pagan place of worship (even for a funeral) is not offended? or that one may use that as an excuse not to go to your fellowship?

Maybe someone sees you go to that pagan place and thinks 'well, if God allows him to go there, it must be ok for me to worship there'

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

That is not the queation. Here is the question again.

Lets not get sidetracked. We were told elsewhere that the key reason for not attending a funeral was that Jesus said "let the dead bury the dead and follow me." I have pointed out that Jesus said "Sell all you have and distribute to the poor and follow me."

We can discuss the appearance of going to a funeral later. That is not the topic at hand. Start a new thread and I will GLADLY answer that question.

For now please answer my question as posed above.

10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

In other words, you do not have an answer to C4K's question, which was...

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

There is no answer pastor. We all know that by now I think. I won't bump this thread again, I think the point is made.

12. Diggin in da Word

The answer to that question, C4K, would be no. Christ did not tell that man to sell all he had, He told him to 'Let the dead bury their dead' Apparently not all have to 'sell all they have'.

I would say they should have that willingness to 'sell all they have if Christ so laid it on their heart.

If one must sell all they have in order to be a complete follower of Christ, then every pastor behind the pulpit, every evangelist who drives all over to preach the Word, every sunday school teacher, etc., is not following Christ today.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

But he did tell another man to sell all he had to give to the poor and follow Christ. Why is it obvious that one was a strict command and the other was a question of willingness?

Why not just admit that both dealt with the person's heart and were not commandments. That is the obvious Bible answer.

We have no right to say, "well, 'let the dead bury the dead' was an instruction but 'sell all you have to give to the poor' is a principle. When we do that we destroy the authority of God's word and our own reasoning becomes the authority. We must be consistant in our interpretation of scripture or scripture is meaningless.

Both situations were dealing with that individuals hearts and are princples for us today. Neither is an overall command for all Chrsitians of all ages.

14. Diggin in da Word

He did not ask that man if He wanted to follow Him right away, or wait until he buried his father.

When the man said, Let me go bury my father, Jesus said, Let the dead bury the dead. But go thou and preach the Kingdom.

Let them bury the dead. I have another job for you that is more important.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

"Sell all you have to give to the poor. I have another job for you that is more important than your possessions."

There is no resolution here. If one is a rule the other is a rule. Neither are rules or commandments. Jesus was trying their hearts to see which was more important to them. He was not telling me not to go to a funeral and He was not telling me to sell all I have to give to the poor.

The greatest abuse of scripture is when we try to make it fit our ideas and opinions. Even worse, when we try to use it to judge the hearts of others.

There is very little that upsets me more than Christians trying to make God's word conform to their own personal standards.

16. Diggin in da Word

trying their hearts to see which was more important to them? He was God in the flesh. He already knew what was more important.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And he was pointing it out to them. The man's funeral was more important and the other man's possessions were more important to them. Of course He knew their hearts, that is why he put the test to them, so that all could see and learn that we too must know what it more important to us.

You stll haven't told me how to tell which is a rule and which is a principle other than your own human reasoning. So are you telling me that I should use human reasoning as a basis for interpreting scripture.

"Well, it is obvious that Jesus was telling us His followers that they cannot to go to a funeral and follow Him, but because my pastor owns a car Jesus could not possibly mean that we have to sell EVERYTHING to give to the poor in order to follow Him."

Consistancy please.

18. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Jesus was just showing that excuses are just excuses.

19. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Exactly! And we are still making excuses today. What can we inaccuracies can we claim, what limitations can we create to keep us from sharing the good news of Jesus Christ?

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Pretty simple when we just take it the way it was intended isn't it?