1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Food Stamps

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, May 1, 2011.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then it would be safe to say you consider Income Tax theft also. Why dont you write a letter to the IRS & complain to them. Also didnt hear a word from you when I posted the 2 NYC Wall St Banker Executives wives collecting 220 Million from tax payers? How bout the 1 Billion we give to the Pakistani Govt for anti terrorism....was that thievery? Well it's a bad world son & I didn't make it. Just remember that there are some who are so on the balls of their cans that they are destitute & cant feed themselves & for lignite reasons. Would you take money out of their mouths? I can assure you from many experiences that they cant work & not because they dont want to. To these people, its embarrassing that they cant work. They really want to.

So in a perfect world the churches should help these people......but they are also strapped. So what do you suggest? I would prefer to manage through the force of facts & not through the force of opinion. Nobody has of yet answered my questions involving qualifying for FS. You want a meaningful discussion then lets discuss that. Until then, you come up short in my eyes.

Blessings

#41 Earth Wind and Fire, May 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011
  2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

That is an absurd statement. How is a person who is paying 10,000 dollars a year in taxes, stealing by taking back 2400 a year in food stamps? I guess you don't take tax deductions (especially "pre tax" deductions!), use public roadways, public parks, or school systems? You are simply illogical.

Also, I think your calculator is broken.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

I would say when it comes to food everything comes back to nutrition!

"Health nut" "expensive health food" "logic that fails on liberals" "it would take at least two months to die on potato chips" "radishes VS potato chips equals cost, therefore potato chips" is not even logic, it is rhetoric, don't have time to explain that right now.

Bottom line, your ideas of supplying the body its needs would end up costing those who are earners much more in medical bills than the food ever did.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, if they make enough to pay 10k in taxes, then they shouldn't be eligible for food stamps. So if they're getting food stamps, then they are probably defrauding the system.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Thats not true. The bottom income bracket, which pays NO federal income taxes, pays between 45 and 55 percent in total taxes. Thus, if you are making 20K per year, about 10K goes to taxes.

Consider Texas taxes (which do not have state income taxes, even)...

8.2 percent sales tax
    6.2 percent Social Security tax (which younger earners will never see!) DOUBLE this if you are self employed
    1.45 percent Medicare DOUBLE this if you are self employed
    40 cents per gallon gasoline tax
    Property tax (County and City) average 1500 dollars per year for a 60K dollar (modest) home
    Vehicle registration fees (basically making you "rent" your car from the government) my 2001 dodge pickup was just under a hundred bucks...we will go with that.
    40 bucks (average) State inspection fees
    .6 to 2 percent Electricity Tax
    Transportation taxes on everything you buy in the store

All of this does not even count the compounding tax burden of goods and services. For instance, look at a snickers bar. The factorys/ farms where each of the ingredients are made, have taxes on employees, services, etc. Then the Snickers company has those same kinds of taxes when they put it together. Then they the stores have taxes. Also, the transportation from each of these facilities is taxed, including the employees. This ends up making a 5 cent snickers bar cost you a dollar at the register...plus the 8 percent sales tax (compounding on the earlier taxes)...

The government is robbing us blind. Take EVERY penny you can. At the same time, invest the money you save on getting people into office to fix this mess.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can get a home for 60K....really, where?

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Probably not in New Jersey. But, there are places where you can get a very modest home for 60K.

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you.

State, not federal.

For benefits that they will already receive back.

For benefits that they will already receive back.

State, not federal.

County and city, not federal.

Not a tax.

Not a tax.

State, not federal.

...which are passed on to the consumer in the retail price, not through taxes.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :confused:

Taxes to support the proper role of civil government is not the issue. Is the proper role of civil government to take your property without your permission and redistribute it for the private use of individuals who did not work for it?

That's theft.

But even under the law, no one was commanded to give money to the poor. The poor were to be allowed to glean the fields after the harvesters. They had to work for their assitance, and the work entailed their picking up the grain and grinding it themselves to make their own bread.

And so under the Gospel, it is said that if a man will not work, neither shall he eat. And even in the cases where mercy if fitting, it's not commanded, as anyone who opposes the practice of paying tithes will attest.

Government is not the solution to poverty. It's the problem.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welfare programs are theft. As said to EW&F, God established civil government, and He established it for a specific purpose. Anything not within the scope of that purpose makes civil government the transgressor.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly right :thumbsup:

No, it is not the role of govt - and yes it is leagalized theft.:tear:

I actually have respect for those who go "bottling" (collect bottles for the 5 cent deposit)

II Thes 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat [/QUOTE]
    Sad but true

12. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

If you are saying that the Government is a thief for taking more than what it should (income redistribution), then I wholeheartedly agree.

If you are saying people are stealing by using whatever legal recourse they have to get back some of that money, then I disagree.

13. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Foodstamps in Texas use not only federal funds, but local revenue as well.

Preposterous. That money has been stolen by the U.S. government, and will never be returned to anyone who is under 40.

Preposterous. That money has been stolen by the U.S. government, and will never be returned to anyone who is under 40.

Foodstamps in Texas use not only federal funds, but local revenue as well.

These taxes subsidize welfare income.

Yes it is. Calling a tax a "fee" does not make it any less a tax. It has been a long standing argument of conservatives, like myself, that having fees associated with ownership is nothing more than an "ownership tax."

Yes it is. Calling a tax a "fee" does not make it any less a tax. It has been a long standing argument of conservatives, like myself, that having fees associated with ownership is nothing more than an "ownership tax."

Tell you what, then. Under your logic, we will do away with all taxes, but have fees in the same amount charged to everyone, that do exactly the same thing. Then you should be happy, since it is no longer a "tax."

Again, this goes to subsidize welfare programs, and is no less a "tax."

... and are therefore taxes on consumers. Putting a middle man in, changes nothing. It is still coming out of the pocket of struggling families.

14. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, we don't know that. You can't steal money based on what you suspect might happen.

Unfortunately, we don't know that. You can't steal money based on what you suspect might happen.

Fine. Let them use the local funds.

No, they go for things like schools, roads, police, etc.

OK. Clearly this is over your head, but the government taking your money is a tax. A company charging you more is not a tax.

LOL...excuse me while I clean the coffee off my keyboard.

Nor does calling the retail price of a product a tax make it a tax.

You're a conservative like Crabtownlittleboy is a rocket scientist.

I don't see how that would work, but OK.

Private companies do not and cannot charge you taxes. The state can make them collect sales tax, but that's the state, not the company.

15. billwald

billwald New Member

>Nor does calling the retail price of a product a tax make it a tax.

THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT OBSERVATION! When making a purchase one should only consider total price, not advertised price. Either the product or service is worth what you pay out or it isn't.

16. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WOW! Reading really is a lost art.:D

I have no problem helping those that really need it, but more needs to be done to root out the abusers - and I see plenty of abusers where I work.

IMO - food stamps should only be used at a grocery store for milk, eggs, meat, potatoes, rice, beans, fresh fruits and vegetables ect. No candy bars, no chips, no pop.

17. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Unfortunately, we DO know that. Funny that you call it "stealing" when it is our money. It is the government who is "stealing."

The government shouldn't keep stealing OUR money, based on the possibility of maybe giving us a small percentage of it back. Let us keep our money, and we can put it in our own 401k, and get ten times the yield. Don't steal our money, and claim you are putting it away, when actually you are just spending it.

Fine. Let the people keep their social security and medicaid money, as well as their self employment tax.

No, they don't. Least not here. However, if you want to talk about schools, we can talk about those. That is just another welfare system. Quit robbing single, non-producing people's money, to pay for OTHER people's kids.

LOL. Apparently you have no idea what you are talking about. We are not talking about a company charging you something. We are talking about the government charging you yearly "fees" to own something. If I have to give the government a 100 dollars a year to put a sticker on MY vehicle, that I have already bought and paid taxes on, then I am renting my car from the government. That is what liberals are always trying to do...eliminate personal property.

I could only wish...

If 80 percent of the price of a product is recouping taxes that were charged by the government? Not sure how you defend that position.

Apparently you need a dictionary.

#1 I believe in reducing the size and scope of the Government, including vast reduction of the welfare system.

#2 I believe in vastly reducing taxes, particularly corporate taxes.

Both of those are the conservative position, last time I checked. Apparently you are a liberal with a bone to pick, who likes the high taxes that the government charges everyone...I don't.

I am a Tea party supporting, Newsmax reading, right wing crazy. And I think I should be able to keep MY stuff. If the government steals it...I am going to do everything possible to take it back.

When the government charges huge regulatory fees and taxes to companies, who do you think ULTIMATELY pays the price? We do. That is why reduction of corporate level taxes is so important.

Apparently you like high taxes, and the government stealing our stuff; or at least believe that we should just "quietly accept" it. I don't.

18. targus

targus New Member

I don't know if it is still happening but at one time food stamps were used to buy street drugs.

Dealers accepted the food stamps at a reduce rate and then resold them.

19. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I've seen that happen before. Now they are given through an EBT card.

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

This post shows two things:

1. Absolutely stunning ignorance of the job churches, and government, does. (Perhaps Robert should come to Alabama and see the job churches are doing in light of the tornado damage...never mind; it would upset his communist apple cart).

2. A resentful attitude toward those who actually do help other people. Probably a guilty conscience. I feel certain RS is a believer...and he's convicted because he's letting the government do the job that God wanted him to do.