1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For my bretheren who believe they have a "inerrant, word perfect" KJV, how about this

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Spoudazo, Mar 3, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I've never heard this. Every apologetic text I've ever seen that dealt with these two verses merely chalked it up to "scribal error". </font>[/QUOTE]__________________________________________________

It is for this reason that I stick to inerrancy for the KJV.
    It is MUCH to easy to "chalk it up to scribal error" rather than digging into the text and finding out what the "problem" is really about.

In HIS service;
    Jim

2. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

To Quote a good song, If when you read it and you find somethings wrong, then somethings wrong with you. [​IMG] :cool: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. P_Barnes

P_Barnes New Member

For example, here's what Geisler & Howe's "When Critics Ask" says about it on pg. 194:

"This is clearly a copyist error, and there is sufficient evidence to demonstrate that Ahaziah was 22 years old when he began to reign in Judah."

4. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

It lol proves a lack of study. of the writing of books there is NO END.

5. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

First of all.....Good posts Jim.

Secondly, the facts are that Ahaziah reigned in Jerusalem for one year......Whether he was 22,42,or 102 really has no effect on the text when taken in context.

My point? Whether scribal error or co-regency is the case here (and either may be correct), it is really a moot point.

Just a thought.

6. P_Barnes

P_Barnes New Member

From John Haley's "Alleged Discrepancies of The Bible" Pg. 398:

"The perfectly simple explanation adopted by Gesenius and most critics is, that the copyist mistook one numeral letter for another . . ."

Like I said, this is really the only "explanation" I've ever heard about this, so I was especially interested in what other ones y'all have heard.

7. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I didn't "ignore the facts."

I said if you had read my reply,
    "Finally that is one explanation that needs to be heeded. I wasn't aware of that one.

I certainly don't go through the Bible searching for "errors" but rather it finds erros with me.

The well-known Norman Geisler among a host of other Christian authors have referred to it, and that's actual a reasonable explanation. I'll look into it further.

In this instance it seems my original assertion is incorrect, so for that I appreciate the kind correction (by some).

However, that still doesn't answer or refute the assertion that KJV-onlyism has indeed torn about many Christian groups and friends."

BTW, azguit. you seem to be a little impatient with your posting, calm down! :D

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Spoud says,"However, that still doesn't answer or refute the assertion that KJV-onlyism has indeed torn about many Christian groups and friends."

And I say, "Did you miss this?"

AV1611jim
    1,000 Posts Club
    Member # 4215

posted March 04, 2005 12:03 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can't answer or refute the fact that churches have been torn apart by carnal christians who jump on a hobby horse and wreak havoc on a body of "harmless" believers.
    Does that mean that the issue is flawed or is it that the persons are?
    I submit, it is the persons.
    To say churches have been torn apart by X-issue is incorrect. You can easily see this by the multitudes of issues that arise and split churches. Some are as ridiculous as the color of the new carpet, or pews-vs-chairs, or what hymn book to use. Do red carpets split churches? Are pews more holy than chairs?
    So let's all get REAL here. It is NOT the teaching or point of view that is at fault. It is the MANNER in which people use it.
    It boils down to ONE word. PRIDE
    I admit that the issue over Bible versions is a hotly contested issue. But so is Calvinism.
    Some Calvinist say the KJVo issue is wrong. Some do not. Some KJVo-ists say Calvinism is wrong. Some do not. BOTH will use Scripture to try and prove their point while their opposite sides will do the same. What is the problem? Human carnality is at the core of it and our NEED to be right at all costs.
    A little bit of humility will go a long ways in solving the problem. But as long as the church is made up of sinners, (both saved and lost sinners) we will have the problem.
    I really doubt if it will go away by convincing arguments. I think it will take a Divine Intervention.

EVEN SO, COME LORD JESUS!

In HIS service;
    Jim

BTW, I am NOT exempt from this assessment.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posts: 1330 | From: Montana | Registered: Aug 2002 | IP: Logged |

Just wondering. You made this staement TWICE on the same page. My post is BETWEEN your statements.

Are you reading at all?

I might add that issues don't split churches OR relationships. PEOPLE do.

In HIS service;
    Jim

9. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Yes, I read YOUR response and I wasn't responding to your POST, but azguit.'s post.

I enjoyed your post and sorry for not clarifying. Though you and I don't agree on everything, I appreciate your level-headedness which isn't too prevalent in Christendom these days, sad to say.

your brother in Christ,
    [​IMG]

10. Britney

Britney New Member

This is a good song!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

This is a good song!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, this is a seemingly good song and I've heard it in persons myself several times (revival, etc.).

However, I'm not dealing with the actual Bible, I'm dealing with a translation *of* that Bible.

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

It also depends on WHAT you are reading.

13. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

just got back.. I wasn't speaking to spoudazo.

sorry that it was mistaken. Spoudazo didn't ignore my post.

14. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Ok, thanks for clarifying azguitarist [​IMG]

I wish we could all just talk in person, would make less need for clarifying all the time, hehehe [​IMG]

15. manchester

manchester New Member

16. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I keep telling everybody that I am a Geneva Onlyist, but everybody keeps ignoring me.

Geneva has been around over 50 years longer than the KJV......so which one do YOU think is letter perfect? [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Yeah, that would be great, then when things get out of hand, us moderators could just YELL "SHUT UP!!!!!!" [​IMG]