1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For the Gentlemen...

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Brother Adam, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Since there isn't a "guy forum" I'll post this one here [​IMG]

For some time I have been being convicted about being lustful and this is something that is very hard to deal with and I take very seriously. If any one else out there on the forum has dealt with lust (or worse as my case is :( ) and would be willing to share some advice and help me figure out what to do I would be ever indebted.

I ask though that since this is a personal issue and I am vunerable in this area that you would write through the private messages as I don't feel comfortable posting much on a public forum. :(

Thanks soo much.

Until Next Post, Adam

2. War_Eagle

War_Eagle New Member

Adam,

I know you asked us to respond privately but this is pretty general and I thought it might help someone else. Hope you don't mind.

First thing, Adam, is don't beat yourself up. You and I and every guy on the planet deals with this from time to time. Frankly, I'd be more worried about you if you DIDN'T struggle with it.

God created us to react to females in a certain way and, unfortunately, our sin natures take it to an unhealthy extreme.

Take it to God. Tell Him about it and ask for help. Ask Him to show you the line of demarcation of where our instincts become lust. He knows your struggles and He's there for you. Just relax, be cool. He'll take care of it if you ask Him to.

Believe it or not, there is some good news out of all of this. The Holy Spirit CAN bring our lust and all of our weakness into submission to Christ if we take it to Christ and rely on His leading. Not only that but if we keep our eyes on Christ it'll serve to build Christ-likeness in you.

3. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Thank you for your response War_eagle, unfortunatly the circumstances extend beyond lust everyonce in a while. Am I talking about sex? No way thank God, but it still goes beyond what i am willing to type on a board like this. . .

On another note school started today- I got a Unitarian Universalist for one teacher and a man as hostile to religion as Walt Witman for another. Have yet to meet the last one.

Until Next Post,
    Adam

4. Ars

Ars New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flyfree432:
    On another note school started today- I got a Unitarian Universalist for one teacher and a man as hostile to religion as Walt Witman for another. Have yet to meet the last one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, I'd advise against debating with any of these people if you are not well versed in the Word. However, I've have found that you are a very bright person and I believe you could stand firm against any of their "attacks". If they choose to make any.

[12] But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.
    [13] And it shall turn to you for a testimony.
    [14] Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer:
    [15] For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.
    [16] And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.
    [17] And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.
    [18] But there shall not an hair of your head perish.
    Luke 21

5. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Luke 21:15

This is exactly why I should stand up for the faith against these people. I'm not afraid to share what I believe. God's Word will stand firm.

Until Next Post,
    Adam

6. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Often in situations like this when someone stands for Christ he finds others that may not have spoken up until he took the lead. I pray that you will find others to help pull the load!

7. preacher

preacher New Member

Just a thought;
    1Jo 2:15
    Love not the world, neither the things that are in
    the world. If any man love the world, the love of the
    Father is not in him.
    1Jo 2:16
    For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh,
    and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is
    not of the Father, but is of the world.
    1Jo 2:17
    And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof:
    but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
    These are the same temptations that satan tried to use on our Lord, & how did he fight
    back? "It is written". It may seem that whatever this particular lust is , that it may overwhelm you, but have FAITH! Jesus said "He that is in you is greater than he that is in the world". It is also written that "sin shall not have dominion over you".
    Stay in the scriptures, & stay on your knees
    & the victory is assured! :D ;)

8. TurboMike

TurboMike New Member

Guys,
    I have the same problem. I think alot of us do.

First of all "sex" is not a bad thing. God created it for us in the first place. But there are guidlines. It is meant as the most loving act between a HUSBAND and his WIFE. Premarital sex if fornication no matter how a person sugarcoats it.

Sex with someone other than your husband or wife is adultery. Lusting after another person is also. For example daydreaming or lustful thoughts of a coworker, customer or a cute girl/guy a fast food place or store. Jesus said to lust in the mind is the same as the heart.

Example 1:Yourdriving down the road and see a beautiful girl/guy standing in a supermarket parking lot... you look and then drive on your way. this is IMO NORMAL. God created the opposite sex to be attractive. It's normal to look

Example 2:Yourdriving down the road and see a beautiful girl/guy standing in a supermarket parking lot... you look and then take a another look...and eventually "rubber neck" and almost rearend the car in front of you. This is going past "normal". Would you do that with your Pastor in your car or your spouse?? i don't think so [​IMG]

Example 3:Yourdriving down the road and see a beautiful girl/guy standing in a supermarket parking lot... you look and then take a another look...and eventually "rubber neck" and almost rearend the car in front of you. You think turn off the next road and circle around the parking lot for another "peek". This is the point to where, IMO, a person is developing a serious problem. There are some that would even go into the store to look.

We don't need to ask God to remove or sexual desires, but to help us control it.

Like I said, I have a serious problem with it to. I think it is, as someone once said, my "demon". But it's comforting to know that other guys, and gals, have the problem also. I think many times we christians like for everyone to think out lives are just wonderful and we never have problems. I dont' think we should air ALL our dirty laundry, but let me say... we need each other.

sorry to ramble on...

9. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Turbo Mike and everyone else: Turbomike your examples are very true. One book that has helped me some (I think it is the best book written on the subject) is "Every Mans Battle".

It is very hard for Christians to talk about a subject like lust (and what lust can cause us to stumble into) and my feelings is that is just the way satan likes it. To keep us quiet.

I have written a short webpage on the subject:
    Christian men dealing with lust

For men who have this problem (9 out of 10) beating it is not as simple as saying "I won't do it anymore" or "I will just pray and it will be all better" There is action that can be taken and it can be beaten...I too have yet to beat it though.

Until Next Post, Adam

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: flyfree432 ]

10. the 'I AM' hath sent me

Someone gave a good suggestion on another website. When these lustful thoughts come into your mind, get it out by reciting verses of Scripture.

What I do is recite the 23rd Psalm. If you can look at someone with lustful eyes while quoting a verse from the Holy Scriptures, you need to fall on your face and ask God for forgiveness. We are weak but HE is Strong. He is our portiion, our sufficiency. The strength He gives us is enough to overcome all the "demons" in this world. But do we have enough will power to say "Get behind me satan"?

God Bless you Adam.

Gloria de Dios, Kenneth :D

11. McGahhey

McGahhey New Member

I knew a guy who befor he was saved would always shout and holar at girls as we were driving by, after he got saved, he didnt do that any more. I asked why and he said "that might be someone elses wife!" You could also think that even if you know that person some what like a coworker that that girl might be some ones future wife!
    I think that we tend to look at girls and personalize the thoughts. That no one else is involved, kinda kepping our sin private. but enter that third party and our privacy is invaded.
    My pastor told me once to think of the other girls as a sister, works for some, but not me personally. But whats weird is I have a friend of the femal gender who is not related to my and I do think of her as a sister, and to be honest, I really dont have lustful thinking problems of this girl.
    Another problem that we tend to fall into is after the lust turns into infatuation, this will ruin any relationship. You build this person up in your mind w/ daydreaming and thoughts of thinking "wouldent it be nice if we got married or if this were to happen? I found that confessing this to some one close that you trust can help you to get over this. God tells us to confess all our sins and to do it to someone that is close and can hold you accountable is even better.
    A really good book on lustfull think is the book by Joshua Harris, So I kissed Dating Goodbye, It has helped me tremendlessly on lust and has shown me in a hundred ways that I was doing things wrong according to Gods will, that I thought that I was right.
    The title I think trows a lot of people of to the book, but it has helped me set a lot of new standards in my life that I can already tell are helping me to grow in Him.
    I just thought that mayby I would share a little bit about myself to mayby help you out, God Bless....Jim