1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Forgiving yourself

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rlvaughn, Apr 15, 2017.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Over the last week and a half I have heard two preachers on the radio promote the concept of "forgiving yourself." I don't find where the Bible teaches the idea of forgiving yourself. One of them, a popular Baptist radio preacher, started with Psalm 103 -- about God's forgiveness -- as his beginning text. This seems like a modern re-framing of the simple fact of accepting God's forgiveness.

Do you think the Bible teaches you must forgive yourself?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say its more of a "feel good" issue

3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If someone "forgives themselves" does that mean they usurp the power of God to forgive "self"?

My opinion is that a person needs to understand God's forgiveness and realize they are "accepted in the Beloved" and they wouldn't worry about "forgiving self".

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That seems to be the gist of it.

5. reformed_baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly did these men mean by talking about 'forgiving yourself'?

If they are talking about letting go of your sense of guilt then surely that is simply the logical conclusion of being forgiven however if it something more then that - maybe something caught from modern culture and counselling then it is wrong - we don't need to forgive ourselves, we need to be forgiven.

6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is hard to say, since it is usually not defined, just talked about. Your statement brings up a good point. Are they talking about something that is biblical using bad terminology, or are they using bad terminology and talking about something that is unbiblical.

Again, it is hard to say when terminology is not clearly defined. IMO, the Baptist radio preacher was mostly talking about accepting the fact God has forgiven you. I Googled the topic and found one site that had a point called "What is self-forgiveness?" But after I read the paragraph, I still didn't know just how they defined it.

Maybe the common thread is that forgiving yourself is to stop carrying around -- even nursing -- guilt and condemnation for past sins (with which I agree, but don't like the terminology). Some say being positive about yourself rather than negative, which may be something that moves within the arena of Christianity or outside of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's impossible to forgive self, I didn't violate my own commands, I violated God's. Receiving forgiveness from the one you Violated should decrease the guilt and shame of the violation. If one still feels guilt about what they have done, then they aren't fully understanding the forgiveness they have received. Forgiving self is unbiblical and anti-scriptural

• Like Like x 1