1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Former Desiring God writer Paul Maxwell announces he's no longer Christian

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Apr 12, 2021.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not going to look it up but I will ask. What does he no longer believe? How does one become and or declare himself no longer Christian?

One verse that comes to mind

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "What I've discovered is that I'm ready to connect again. And I'm kind of ready not to be angry anymore. I love you guys, and I love all the friendships and support I've built here. And I think it's important to say that I'm just not a Christian anymore, and it feels really good. I'm really happy."

Paul Maxwell, Former Writer At Desiring God, Announces He’s No Longer A Christian

Remember the Words of Jesus, "Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?" (John 6:67). In response to, "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him" (66). Like these, Paul Maxwell has decided not to follow the Lord any longer. A very tragic decision. :Cry

3. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    John 6, people make these choices to depart and follow demonic doctrines, but they do so because God was not working in their life as in them being born of God and being taught by the Holy Spirit.

35 And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. 36 But I said to you that you have seen Me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.

44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.

60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?”

61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. (you must be born again spiritually to follow Christ) The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”
    68 But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

The ones who remained came to believe and know because they were given to Christ by God, and they had been taught by the Holy Spirit to believe in Him.
    Given to Christ also means they are born of God, so then part of His family, and God saves His children only, not anyone else, (here am I and the children whom God has given me Hebrews 2:10-13)

4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    sbw, we have looked at all the verses with you. Did Jesus mean what he said or was he lying?

Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me,is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.
    ~ John 10:25-29

Not one of us here knows this writer who formerly worked at Desiring God. We can only read what he writes regarding his journey and recognize that he is having a crisis of faith. Whether he was ever a sheep, only time can tell.

What is certain is that no one can build a firm theological foundation upon the rollercoaster of emotional human experience. What you are attempting to do is no different than a pentacostal who lives solely upon perceived experiences with God and rarely upon the firm foundation of God's holy word. I take your thoughts with a grain of salt since they are not spiritually discerning.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we sealed unto the day of redemption by the Holy Spirit, or not then?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we saved and kept by Grace, or kept by works of the Law?

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism doctrine regarding Salvation proper is the most biblical view!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No passage or verse in the Bible rightly understand is against Calvinist position in regards to salvation proper!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He either is saved, but now a prodigal son, or one who professed Lord Jesus, but was not one of his own!

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was about to post the same. Glad I read further.

John 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

I believe a good question is; What is the purpose of the sheep? Why is God taking out of the nations a people for his Name?
    What are they, with Christ, going to do? Luke 19:15-17 Matt 19:28 Rev 1:6.7

BTW what do priests do?

• Like Like x 1
  11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I come back to John 3:16, taken the way that Jesus intended it to be taken, is very clear that God is not willing that any of His created human beings, are eternally lost. There are 2 conditions for salvation, "REPENTANCE of sins, and BELIEF in the Gospel of Jesus Christ", as the Only Saviour for any sinner. Reformed theology cannot accept this plain teaching, and have tried to change what it means, but have failed.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Either the father made potential salvation for all sinners. or else definite for some!

13. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does Paul means by, "if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister", Col. 1:23?

14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Christ as The Saviour of the human race, makes salvation available for those who "repent and believe". For the Death of Jesus to be "actual", it requires that "kosmos" in John 3:16, understood in a "limited" sense, and not for the "entire human race".

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF, as in implied that you will be staying solid in Christ!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus death was sufficient to save all sinners, but was intended to save out his own!

• Like Like x 1
  17. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    "IF" is "ειγε", which is conditional.

18. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The sheep are part of His family, the family of God. just like with Noah and immediate family being saved from the wrath of God in the flood, God also saves all those who belive in Christ who are born of Him. For example the demons believe but are not saved...
    Jesus tells his disciples He no longer calls them servants but friends. And God called Abraham the friend of God.
    So the sheep are friends and family of God and Christ. Being priests means the sheep worship, serve, follow, fellowship with God and Christ. And God leads them into good and wonderful places. Like Psalms 23 says.

James 2:23
    And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God.
    Those who are saved by God have a high calling which was given to them before time began.

As was Moses His friend. Friends will do many good things for each other, may even die for one another. They care for and love one another.
    Exodus 33:11
    So the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. And he would return to the camp, but his servant Joshua the son of Nun, a young man, did not depart from the tabernacle.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, Got it. Just as Paul Maxwell....
    Or you could run about and wave your arms as you shout "taint so..."

As for Paul Maxwell's belief he was not a Christian, that means he thinks he was one, and then became un-born anew. Nope, rather he accepted the doctrines of grace, then rejected them, thinking Christianity is simply a group of like minded people. All that stuff about having a deep root within such that he would be willing to walk through fire for the Lord, just so much lip service.

#59 Van, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not at all.
    Reformed theology is just fine.
    It is sad when false professions show up, however the flesh wears out and they give up their religious veneer, and turn from back to their secret sins.

• Like Like x 1