1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured FOUR REASONS PROFESSOR WRIGHT IS WRONG ON JUSTIFICATION

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I sugggest you reread what I said, but slowly and take in for what I am saying. It is foolishness to conclude or even infer I am denying Christ as the second Adam but rather I am explaining it to include MORE than mere humanity as mere sinless humanity cannot save anyone but himself.

it is not I, but you that are missing the point. It is Jesus THE SON OF GOD and SON OF MAN the second person of the Trinity who is the man of the everlasting covenant who fulfills all the covenant obligations IN BEHALF OF sinful men. There are NO CONDITIONS in this covenant for any SINNER to fulfill as there is nothing in this covenant they can fulfill. Rather they are the objects of this covenant rather than covenant parties. Read Ephesians 1:4-14 where the covenant parties and responsibilities are spelled out and there is no man but Christ who fulfills these covenant responsibilities IN OUR BEHALF. With regard to gospel conversion we are chosen "to" salvation "through" the SANCTIFICATION OF THE SPIRIT and belief of the truth" thus saving faith is the work of the spirit as "no man can come" in faith to Christ but by the act of God.

I am not challenging your salvation at all and I hope you are not mine, but I am challenging your view of the everlasting covenant of redemption and justification. If we were having this conversation face to face, most likely it would not come across so direct and intent. That is just my style of writing. I don't mean to intentionally offend you.

#61 The Biblicist, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    L
    I was not implying such a thing. I said that you and I need not devolve into such foolishness. Yet here you are.

My point is that by speaking of Christ as becoming man I was not rejecting that He is also God. I was saying that Jesus met the covenantal requirement of man, as man. Jesus is the Word made flesh, God become man (completely man) and obedient to the Father even to death.

Given your objection, I will consent that it is probably fair to say that on the Cross God died. But since we are talking of a physical death as Jesus became a curse for us, I don’t think the comment specific enough to be useful. The Cross represents Jesus, as God’s Righteous One, laying down his life in obedience to the Father.

Now, if you have any questions of why I determine that the Righteousness of God is not based on a morality but instead holiness, and the righteousness of men based on that same holiness in terms of God "dwelling with man" (which is, BTW, the ultimate promise of the covenants), then please feel free to ask me. Otherwise, we disagree. I am not interested in arguing against you, or learning your view here (I already know your view, we've had this discussion before). I simply have no interest in being the target for you to express your position. That is neither dialogue or communication.

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

In other words, I should be quiet and not respond to your position unless I have a question. So you are the teacher here and everyone must be students. So you get to express your position but I shouldn't respond and give in response what I believe is the correct view? That is your idea of a dialogue???

For the sake of argument lets drop the term "moral" as it is not found in the bible but the terms righteous, righteousness, unrighteousness and holy and Holiness are found. Ok, what is righteous as distinct from unrighteous and what Biblical basis do you have to make that distinction? Second define holy and what Biblical basis do you have to make that definition?

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

By giving voice to the very idea is inferring it!

"I trust that this is not a denial of Jesus as the "last Adam" (although in fact, this seems to be what you are doing)."- Jon

This is much more than an inferrence but a direct accusation as the word "in fact" does not merely infer but is a charge.

Yet this is not the worst of it, in your last post you not only deny you did infer it, but attempt to shift the blame on me for responding to this charge when in fact you are the one who did make that inference, and then deny it and then attempt to blame me for it. Stop the silly game of words.

#64 The Biblicist, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your objection to my explanation of Jesus as the "last Adam" representing mankind in a covenant was that Jesus was not merely man. I know Jesus was not merely man. I am saying your statement seemed to be opposing my (and Scriptures) use of the term to deal with Christ's humanity. You seem unable to cope with Jesus being fully man by the simple fact you will not allow the truth to stand without the qualifier "Jesus was fully God". While both are true, you seem (I.e., your comments appear, to me, to in fact deny the humanity of Christ in terms of any application).

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    QUOTE="The Biblicist, post: 2285428, member: 11148"]In other words, I should be quiet and not respond to your position unless I have a question. So you are the teacher here and everyone must be students. So you get to express your position but I shouldn't respond and give in response what I believe is the correct view? That is your idea of a dialogue???[/QUOTE]
    No, not at all. What I am saying is that we are not arguing or even discussing the disagreement between us. We have not really even defined where we depart.

What I am saying is that you have not taken the time to even begin to engage my position but have instead chosen to lecture me on yours.
    Excellent. This is what I mean by discussing our disagreement.

I am, of course, willing to drop the term “moral” as this was my insistence all along (that “moral” needed to be dropped from “moral righteousness” in order for it to be biblical). But on the grounds of our discussion here, I cannot because it is exactly what I am arguing against (you are asking me to drop my argument in order to argue). I am saying that God’s righteousness is based not on his moral character but on his Word (it is not that God is moral, but that God is always faithful to act as he has revealed himself to man). It is God’s expressed faithfulness to his Word, his covenant, his promises freely given that forms his righteousness, not an obligatory sense of morality he is bound to follow. And the basis of our righteousness/unrighteousness is God’s righteousness (it is God’s faithfulness to his Word, not his moral character known through law…although this is obviously not excluded).

Throughout Scripture the term “righteousness” is used to describe God on the grounds of divine action within context of God’s own revealed character, and specifically within God’s promises with man. God’s “righteousness” is God’s faithfulness to His Word.

Psalm 119:137-139 Righteous are You, O LORD, And upright are Your judgments. You have commanded Your testimonies in righteousness And exceeding faithfulness. My zeal has consumed me, Because my adversaries have forgotten Your words.

Is God’s righteousness here is based on his Word, those promises given describing his actions, those covenantal “arrangements” revealing God’s own nature.

Psalm 145- The LORD is righteous in all His ways And kind in all His deeds.
    The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth.
    He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He will also hear their cry and will save them.
    The LORD keeps all who love Him, But all the wicked He will destroy.

The Psalmist speaks of God’s righteousness, but he defines God’s righteousness in terms of faithfulness. God is faithful to those who fear him, God is faithful to destroy the wicked, God is faithful to save those who cry out to him. God’s righteousness here is not one of a moral nature, but of God’s faithfulness to his Word, to the promises he has made with man through his own revealed character (ultimately through Christ).

Isaiah 45- And there is no other God besides Me, A righteous God and a Savior; There is none except Me. Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth; For I am God, and there is no other. I have sworn by Myself, The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness And will not turn back, That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance. They will say of Me, 'Only in the LORD are righteousness and strength.' Men will come to Him, And all who were angry at Him will be put to shame. "In the LORD all the offspring of Israel Will be justified and will glory."

Again, here we are not talking about a moral standard (even if it is “God’s moral standard”. Isaiah is dealing with God’s faithfulness, his righteousness, in accordance with his word (here, his covenant with Israel that all the offspring of Israel will be justified and will glory). This is not moral righteousness.

Isaiah 5 Therefore My people go into exile for their lack of knowledge; And their honorable men are famished, And their multitude is parched with thirst. Therefore Sheol has enlarged its throat and opened its mouth without measure; And Jerusalem's splendor, her multitude, her din of revelry and the jubilant within her, descend into it. So the common man will be humbled and the man of importance abased, The eyes of the proud also will be abased. But the LORD of hosts will be exalted in judgment, And the holy God will show Himself holy in righteousness. Then the lambs will graze as in their pasture, And strangers will eat in the waste places of the wealthy.

Isaiah is not declaring that God will be shown, ultimately, as morally right (God is morally right by default, this is implied because God is that standard). God will be shown to be faithful to all he has declared, to his word, to the revelation of himself to man. God is as God has revealed himself to be, and God’s Word will endure.

Daniel 9 As it is written in the law of Moses, all this calamity has come on us; yet we have not sought the favor of the LORD our God by turning from our iniquity and giving attention to Your truth. Therefore the LORD has kept the calamity in store and brought it on us; for the LORD our God is righteous with respect to all His deeds which He has done, but we have not obeyed His voice. And now, O Lord our God, who have brought Your people out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand and have made a name for Yourself, as it is this day—we have sinned, we have been wicked. O Lord, in accordance with all Your righteous acts, let now Your anger and Your wrath turn away from Your city Jerusalem

Daniel is not appealing to God’s sense of moral justice, but to God’s covenant, his promise, his Word, that if they turn from their iniquity he will turn his anger from them. Daniel is appealing to God’s promised grace, his mercy, not his morality.

2 Chronicles 12 Then Shemaiah the prophet came to Rehoboam…and he said to them, "Thus says the LORD, 'You have forsaken Me, so I also have forsaken you to Shishak.'" So the princes of Israel and the king humbled themselves and said, "The LORD is righteous." When the LORD saw that they humbled themselves, the word of the LORD came to Shemaiah, saying, "They have humbled themselves so I will not destroy them, but I will grant them some measure of deliverance, and My wrath shall not be poured out on Jerusalem by means of Shishak. But they will become his slaves so that they may learn the difference between My service and the service of the kingdoms of the countries.

Again, God’s righteousness is not a “moral righteousness”, but instead is based on God’s covenant given to Israel. God is faithful not only in wrath but also in mercy. God is faithful to act within the context of his own revelation, his own word, his own covenant with man.

In Scripture God’s righteousness is God’s faithfulness to his word. It is a covenantal righteousness and it is a covenantal righteousness that will determine the justness and justification of mankind. For Adam it was a covenant that God would dwell with him (God placing Adam in the Garden), but Adam's part was obedience. And this ended with man breaking the covenant and God promising a future redemption.

For Abraham it was a covenant that God would make him a people - God would once again dwell with man - Abraham's part was to believe. The Old Covenant was within this overarching promise. God gave Moses the Law, and this Law showed man his sinfulness (just like the law/command in the Garden showed Adam his propensity to sin...his "lusts" or desires that were not in accord with God's nature) by "making sin a transgression". This also came with "do's" and "don'ts", but the object was to "keep Israel" and to "teach Israel" (not to redeem Israel) until the New Covenant. And then we have the New Covenant, the inaugurating of the Kingdom. In all of this....ALL of this...God is faithful to the word he has given, and this faithfulness (not morality but God's own faithfulness) is righteousness. It is not based on God's moral law, or the Law, or anything except God's covenant with man which is embodied in Jesus Christ.

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

My oh my,you talk about flip flop!

1. "I trust that this is not a denial of Jesus as the "last Adam" (although in fact, this seems to be what you are doing)."- Jon

2.I was not implying such a thing. I said that you and I need not devolve into such foolishness. Yet here you are. - Jon

3."I am saying your statement seemed to be opposing my (and Scriptures) use of the term to deal with Christ's humanity.

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Pishposh! Every reader knows that I have been engaging your position by repudiating precisely what you have been trying to assert.

Ask yourself WHY is God faithful to his Word???? Is it because His word is his righteousness or faithfulness to his word is his righteousnes or because HE IS righteous and therefore faithful to his word? HE IS RIGHTEOUS, it is his inherent righteous nature that produces faithfulness. His moral nature - his inherent holiness demands he is faithful to His Word. His Word is nothing more than the extension of His MORAL character. It reveals his MORAL character not vice versa. His word is righteous because it expresses his righteous moral nature.However, it is a cause (nature) versus effect (expressed words) and you are making the effect the cause and that is why your theory is false.

Ask yourself why Satan or any other fallen creature is not faithful to their word? Is it because their words make them unfaithful or is it their nature that makes them unfaithful? It is their moral nature that produces unfaithfulness.

Why can't God lie? Is it due to words or RIGHTEOUS character? You are confusing the tree with its fruit. You are attempting to make the fruit the cause instead of the tree. It is God's RIGHTEOUS heart that is the cause of God's faithfulness and His words are simply the extension of his RIGHTEOUS heart not vice versa.

Psalm 119:137-139 Righteous are You, O LORD, And upright are Your judgments. You have commanded Your testimonies in righteousness And exceeding faithfulness. My zeal has consumed me, Because my adversaries have forgotten Your words.

Note the order (1) Righteous ARE YOU; (2) Upright are YOUR JUDGEMENTS - character precedes and is the cause of faithfulness.

Psalm 145- The LORD is righteous in all His ways And kind in all His deeds.
    The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth.
    He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him
    ; He will also hear their cry and will save them.
    The LORD keeps all who love Him, But all the wicked He will destroy.

The Lord is righteous in all his ways because of his righteous nature.

No, His faithfulness to his word is the RESULT of HIS RIGHTEOUS NATURE. His everlasting covenant is a RESULT of His righteous nature.

You are confusing what God IS with what God says and does. Jesus says it is the heart that is the cause of attitudes and actions (Mt. 15:17) and it is the tree that makes the fruit good or bad. The same is true with God. God is by NATURE holy and that is precisely why his words and his actions are holy not vice versa as your theory demands.

#68 The Biblicist, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's not get silly here. Of course God's faithfulness is based in God being God. That is not what we are debating here. God's faithfulness, righteousness, justness, love, wrath,..... all are in accord with God's nature.

So the question is not whether or not this righteousness relates to God's nature as we both affirm this truth. The question is whether this is a moral righteousness or if it is a righteousness that carries a significance beyond moral conduct.

In Psalm 119, the Psalmist expresses a longing for God's Righteous word, for God's commands, for God's precepts, for God's statutes as this is God's loving kindness to show his people the "true way".

This righteousness is not a moral righteousness but a holy righteousness. In terms of men, it is being right with God as God has presented through his word, through his covenant.... a part of which is the Law...but it is so much more than moral righteousness.

The difference is what is credited to our account. If a moral righteousness, then God sees us as "law-keepers", and we have a works based Justification centered on the Law (with Christ as the "perfect Law-keepers"). If, however, Scripture is consistent and has God's covenant of redemption in mind, then God sees us as his children, as a covenant people justified by faith alone in and through the complete work of Christ.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To deny His humanity, andthe fact of Him being the second/lst Adam would be to call God a liar, adPaul dead wrong!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Law no longer is in force upon those of the ew Covenant in same sense as was under Old One, as now we are in Christ, and under theGospel of Grace!
    Think he sees th Goepel in he OT times, the Church way back there, an not a NT creation, so woul tend to see tings as h doeson this issue!

12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

This is silly! God's faithfulness is not based in God being God, but in one attribute of God and that is his holy righteous nature. It is not based on his omnipresence,or omniscience or his immutability or his eternal existence or any other attribute but one and that one is his MORAL attribute.

It is about time you and I define "moral." Moral has to do with "right" and "wrong" behavior toward self and others, or righteous versus unrighteous behavior. God's moral nature is defined as righteous or righteousness. In the Godhead that moral righteous behavior is how each Person of the Trinity behaves toward the other Persons and it is called "love." In order for love to exist there must be a lover, a spirit of love and a beloved. That moral or righteous behavior existing within the Godhead toward each other in the Godhead is manifested in THE LAW andt that is precisely why the law can be summarized in one word "LOVE"!!!!!!

Cart before the horse again. His word is righteous because HE IS not vice versa.

You are making a distinction without a real difference as "moral" refers to behavior that is either righteous or unrighteous.

Absurd! It not OUR righteousness or OUR works that is imputed to our account but HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS as defined by HIS LIFE. The law expressed in the life/works of Christ are called LOVE!

Scripture is consistent but not with the nonsense you are asserting. The "complete work of Christ" is his SUBSTITIONARY work whereby His SUBSTITUTIONARY life and SUBSTITUTIONARY death is the object of justifying faith ALONE!

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

No, the law is the REVEALED righteousness of God but the law is not God's righteousness. God IS righteous due to his MORAL nature which the LAW simply reveals but does not exhaust. The everlasting covenant is an expression of God's righteousness but is not God's righteousness. You are confusing the tree with the fruit again.

Let me say it this way. God is not the Law but God IS righteous. Your theory would demand God IS the Law because the Law IS righteous.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly! "Moral" is based on behavior.

I am saying this righteousness is not based on behavior.

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

What do you think behavior includes? attitude, words and actions which all have "moral" value and constitute what makes a person to be a person. God has a MORAL nature, His attitudes have moral value, his words have moral value, his actions have moral value.

Have you forgotten that sin is a moral term that deals with attitudes, words and actions and the Law therefore is moral as it deals with attitudes, words and actions and the Law is merely the extension, the manifestation of the righteous nature of God because God is a moral being as his attitudes, words and actions have moral values.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While we were yet/still sinners, Christ died for us, thejust/godly died fo te sake of unjust/ungodly!

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture teaches that behavior are manifestations of our heart. It also teaches that sin itself is birthed from our own lusts. You are wrong - the problem is not behavior but the heart behind that behavior. God is not a slave to a set of moral laws or rules. Those things point to God's nature. And this is why you teach a confused doctrine.

The Psalmist's often appeal to God's righteousness. They are not saying"God, you are a moral God, therefore you are not able to lie, so based on your moral inclination..." No. That is foolish. This n Psalm 119 the Psalmist says "God, you are faithful to your covenant. You said if we turn to you that you would deliver us, and we have, know you will deliver us." NOT because God is moral but be cause God is faithful.

Look, I could work with your interpretation because it is implied in mine. I think it far too shallow, but I certainly agree that behavior is involved in righteousness (at least in that we are not considered"immorally righteous"). To borrow from an illustration, you are more concerned with the effects of the wind than the source.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The expressed morality of God are in the10 Commandmnts, correct?

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. While we were sinners Christ died for us.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is, IMHO, the larger problem with thinking in terms of a "moral righteousness". The Law did not exist for a very long time (sin was not a transgression as was Adam's sin). The Law dealt with behavior. But it really didn't. This is what Jesus taught the Jews. The Law says not to kill (behavior/moral). But Jesus says you break the law by hating your brother.

But is that really true? Not if we are justified by a moral righteousness it isn't. The problem transcends morality/behavior and goes straight to the ontological. To be made right under God's covenant we must be born again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.