1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Francine Rivers' "And the Shofar Blew"

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by mr. messy, Jun 17, 2005.

1. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

What do you think of the book "And the Shofar Blew"

I have read only two of her books, "The Sin Eater" and "And the Shofar Blew."

What do you think of her as a fictional author? What do you think of her "And the Shofar Blew"? It was copyrighted 2003, published by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois.
    Both quotes are from the fly leaf cover of the hard bound book.

In addition to all of the above, I am interested in the overall themes of the book as I see it. .
    (1) the growth and then the fall of a local pastor (2) the pastor's wife in all this, the pastor's father and mother, the pastor's son. (3) People who have been misled by the local pastor. (4) Some people who refused to follow the pastor and started or continued their own bible study group/fellowship/church (5) Some senior saints who have prayed throughout the years for this pastor and his wife. (6) the confession, repentance of the pastor (7)the resignation of the pastor of his church (8) the pastor's choosing to stay in the same community and to serve in "a smaller role" (my words) as he seeks to serve the Lord and to gain trust or respect again.

My main question is this...What do you think of the book "And the Shofar Blew" ?

Do I have lots to learn? Yes, obviously.
    I am willing to listen. I will check back at B.B.com as I can.

thanks, mr. messy

2. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

I have read the book and totally agree with your list of overall themes. In fact, it is almost too "true to life" of a church with which I am familiar.

I love Francine Rivers' books. She is an excellent Christian fiction writer, although you have to keep reminding yourself it's fiction! My favorite is "Redeeming Love", based on the story of Hosea and Gomer. It's an extremely powerful book about forgiveness, and obeying God whether or not you understand or agree with His plan.

CJ