1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free meals on Vets Day

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 4 weeks we will be honoring Veterans Day.
    Many restaurants offer free meals on Vets Day!

BUT

1) Suppose you were at a restaurants and saw someone claiming to be a vet - but
    you know for a fact - that they are NOT a vet
    What would you do.

2) Should a Vet take advantage of only one meal a day or is it acceptable to go
    to three different restaurants thur out the day - (B-L-S)

3) Should those free meals be only for Vets - should current Active Duty personnel be included?

4) Do you take advantage of at least one meal

5) Other considerations?

Restaurants that will honor Vets in 2019

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For 1), quietly tell the duty manager of your concerns. My local Red Robin has a Veterans Day Special. They ask for some form of ID. I use my VA card.
    2) Why not use all three?
    3)Again Red Robin's deals are for both Vets and Active Duty. I usually see the cadre from the local Marine Reserve Center.
    4) Yes.

3. Latver11Leader

Faith:
    Baptist
    1.) Inform management that someone is taking advantage of the veteran free meal offer. Then without too much commotion, approach the subject and calmly remind them that stolen valor is a crime.
    2.) There is nothing wrong with going to three different places for a free meal throughout the day, after all, we eat three meals a day, right?
    3.) Veterans and active duty, most restaurants I know of do deals for both groups.
    4.) Most definitely.
    5.) None.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My understanding is that stolen valor is only a crime- when there is a financial benefit - and in this case - it would be so
    That wasn't always the case when I was in the Army!!!

The only reason I mention this is that Active duty have their day in May.

5. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1) Suppose you were at a restaurants and saw someone claiming to be a vet - but
    you know for a fact - that they are NOT a vet
    What would you do.
    Me: I have to ask HOW do you know they are not a vet and are you absolutely 100% sure that your source is correct?
    I served, have an honorable DD214, but even then, there are people that go around acting like they are some kind of an authority on who has or hasn't served, causing a mess. Go on YouTube and you'll see a few videos (if you search for them) about "stolen valor", and the mess is causes. In fact, 12-15 years ago I was general manager at a MilSurp store, and I wore BDU's to work. And...I walked to work (it was only a mile from home). I got pulled over a few times by the city PD claiming that only active duty military is allowed to wear fatigues. I had no patches on, no unit ID and no flag or name, and almost got arrested for it several times. I ended up having to carry a photocopy of my DD214 with me so the cop would leave me alone. I'd rather have punched their lights out for what they were doing, but you know, I gotta be a good boy, now.

2) Should a Vet take advantage of only one meal a day or is it acceptable to go
    to three different restaurants thur out the day - (B-L-S)
    Me: I think this is personal choice. If you want to, go for it.

3) Should those free meals be only for Vets - should current Active Duty personnel be included?
    Me: I think that should be up to the business owner.

4) Do you take advantage of at least one meal
    Me: I have, and I have appreciated it, but I have also dealt with businesses that require a CAC card or Vet ID, and I don't have those.

5) Other considerations?
    Me: Not really.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I knew beyond a shadow of doubt - I might ask the waitress their policy - and if they ask for some kind of ID - VA health, 214, ect. If not - then I would ensure that the non-vet realized that I did see him - and that might take care of it.

I dont see a problem -going to all three- I probably would go to different restaurants - but keep in mind - that most vets take someone with them - and that person does pay full price. Also by providing free Vet meals - the restaurant is getting excellent and positive exposure. - Often a GI will return to that restaurant later - paying full price. Its a win-win situation.

Of course its up to the owner - but IMHO - the free dinner should only be for Vets - as that is Veterans Day. In May - they could do likewise for Armed Forces Day.

I try to - but also one year I went to a Dentist - who on Vets day will provide a free cleaning, tooth pulled or fill one cavity at no charge. I missed my meal that day! - I had a tooth pulled.

Normally only the main meal is free - beverage and desert is extra ( which is fine ) but I would like to see where disable vets would get one or the other at no extra charge.

On other thing - Normally if there is only the Vet and his date - they may be seated at a table for four. What I would like to see is to have 2 vets (with their ladies) at the same table - even if they dont know each other- especially if they dont know each other. This past year, we got talking to someone so we had him sit with us - and it was great conversation!
    In addition - it would make seating go a bit quicker!

7. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You see, that's just it. IF you knew beyond the shadow of a doubt. And my question is...how do you do that? Unless you have the person's SSN, which really is no one's right nor business to have, you can't.

IMO disabled vets should get a discount across the board. Lots of places give them, but you have to ask for them. They don't always advertise it.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theres ways to tell - but appears you do not want to know or even consider.
    and you do NOT need a SSAN to know.

IF I owned a business - I would require some proof of military ID and on VETS Day - it would only be for Vets. ON Armed Forces Day - ONLY Active Duty (including AD NG/R) would qualify - and of course CAC would be required.

9. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok, then how would you know, without someones SSN to request their DD214?

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    think outside the box - and this conclude my discussion on this subject.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. I wouldn't do anything. It is up to the restaurant to set its method of validation and I would feel I may be preventing someone a meal (even if gained dishonestly).

2. I think a vet can take advantage of whatever opportunities are offered.

3. If I were the owner it would be for both, but that's up to the restaurant. There is no right or wrong answers.

4. Normally I do not. At Lowes and some department stores I do use a military discount. But I do not like to at restaurants. I do not know why. For some reason it makes me feel odd on veterans day.

12. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Precisely. It's between them, the restaurant and Jesus. Not me.

Absolutely.

Absolutely.

I agree on this as well. It just bugs me sometimes.

13. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You're kidding, right? You have a fuss over me not asking, and when I ask you pull this?
    <PLONK>