1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free Will\Arminian Baptist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Squire Robertsson, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Many here accuse the non-Cals among us of being Arminian or
    Free Will. "This video discusses the largest Free Will Baptist denomination, the National Association of Free Will Baptists (NAFWB)"

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I listened to the whole thing. Several times he said that the denomination is Arminian, with no qualifiers.

Women ministers is a no-go biblically. Although he said that that is a minority, it is still a denomination that has not come down on the scripturally side and put a stop to it.

3. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the denom is unquestionably Arminian. Not that I agree with their positions. But, in discussing it there are no straw men.

4. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. So there is no controversy. Their cards have been laid on the table.

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting video.

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As much as I like free will Baptists in general there are a number of reasons, I in good conscience, could not join a free will Baptist church. While I believe firmly in Sunday worship, I do not believe in a Sunday Sabbath.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many Baptists call Sunday the Sabbath.
    I dont - I make mention that the Sabbath has always
    been on Sat, I just dont get in a freenzy if they do.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wonder also about the Evangelical free Church, as they seem to be basically free will baptists!

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh brother!

"Free" in their context is historical reference to separation/independence from the State churches (Lutheran) of Scandinavia.

Celebrating Our 70th Anniversary • EFCA

"two denominations of Scandinavian background would merge into one. The Evangelical Free Church Association was the body of Norwegian-Danish background, celebrating its 63rd year. The Evangelical Free Church of America was the body of Swedish background celebrating its 66th year. Both had been founded in the 1880’s of immigrants seeking a new life with freedom to worship outside the state church in their home countries, but also in a new country with better opportunities for jobs and farms. As the European immigrants settled here, churches were started and began to work interdependently to send missionaries and train pastors, while maintaining their own congregationally-led local church polity."

#9 Jerome, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

11. Keith Mullins

Keith Mullins Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know of any Free Will Baptist who would ordain a Woman minister or associate with one that does.
    However, each Church is Independent, so nothing would prevent one from doing so. Said Church would be dismissed from Association.
    Aren't Independent Baptist the same?

12. Keith Mullins

Keith Mullins Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also don't know of any FWB churches who Preach a Sunday Sabbath. I do know a few old timers who practice this to some degree.

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free Will Baptists are, mostly, Classic or Reformed Arminian, as opposed to Wesleyan Arminianism, which often differs on how one loses salvation, entire sanctification, and imputed vs. imparted righteousness.

I have never run across a Free Will Baptist church that does not have services on Sunday. There are some Seventh Day Baptists, but that's a different group.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Attended a local church awhile, and their doctrines seemed to be quite baptist like!

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was an intern pastor of a Free will Bap when I lived in WV.
    In that association - the churches had agreed that only the Association
    could ordain a person to the ministry.

16. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We attended a FWB Church and I was a member prior to our marriage. Our pastor there actually performed our marriage. I attended there for 5 years and my wife for 2 years after we got married.

The position on the ability to lose your salvation was "you cannot lose it unless you specifically say 'I reject Christ and want no part of Him'". That said about half the church did not believe you could lose your salvation.

In that time I attended multiple association meetings and never once came across a women minister. It would not be tolerated and they would be cut off from the association. Our association was Conservative for sure. I am not sure if that was the same association at the one above or not.

The foot washing ordinance ceased to be routine the year after I joined.

17. Keith Mullins

Keith Mullins Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is correct. We believe that Salvation is by faith and rejecting faith would result in the rejected being lost.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always thought a traditional Baptist church was basically a sort of moderate Calvinist church.
    1. They believe in total depravity but don't believe that man is totally incapable of making a move toward God.
    2. They believe that man cannot come to Christ unless the spirit draws him and convicts him but regeneration is not before faith.
    3. Election is those who believe or will believe.
    4.Christ died for everyone, even though everyone is not going to get saved.
    5. Once you are saved you are always saved.
    But above all, they just don't put so much emphasis on the theological specific actions and motives from God's point of view but leave that to God and focus on how a man can be right with God.

I've been in a Calvinistic Baptist church for 12 years but am I close at least? And by the way I respect those points above.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of the Missionary Baptists, Southern Baptists, Union Baptist and Independent Fundamental Baptists that I know believe what you posted above and could likely be termed "Moderate Calvinist".

You'll run into issues with the Free Will Baptists on one end with point #5 and the Primitive, Old Regular, and Regular Baptists on points #4, #1 and maybe #3 and #2 and these denominations would all be considered fairly "traditional" I think.

• Informative Informative x 1