1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free Will

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martindr, Nov 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, I feel the same way. The fact that my personality is naturally abrasive is proof that there is abiding sin in my life. I have to purpose not to play in the mud when it comes to message board participation. Those times that I have is shame on me, not my interlocutor.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 10:35 PM Pacific.

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would not believe how much you infuriate me with your threat of conformity. You go tell the moderators to kick me out of BB because of your accusation of me being a Pelegan. is slander.
    MB

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made no such accusation!

Far from it.

Rather, assuming your exuberant personality on display in the threads, I offered you the most gentle of cautions about discussion of the topic in which you seem to be drifting toward discussing. I have no desire to see you leave the BB.

Rather, I truly long for your growth and maturity. I have seen evidence of it occurring, and desire more gain. You leaving would not benefit, you or us.

Now, let me encourage you to read from multiple sources about the subject concerning this thread. I ask that, not to change your thinking, rather, so you will know a bit of the historical influences upon the subject and some of the pitfalls of each.

Paul did not leave the former advanced teaching behind when he became a believer which is why he was so very effective in his witness. He knew the subject matter form many viewpoints, and was able to point out the strengths as well as the weaknesses.

Theopedia is a good starting source that gives balanced briefs on a great number of topics.

5. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will definitely agree that both Adam and Eve were changed after they ate the forbidden fruit. I also agree that that change affected their offspring as shown in:

Genesis 6:5 NLT
    [5] The LORD observed the extent of human wickedness on the earth, and he saw that everything they thought or imagined was consistently and totally evil.

But I am thinking that using the term “will” is too problematic and has too much baggage from western thought.

I am not against the idea that God at times, decides to influence his creation in many ways, at other times forces people to do things physically, and rarely but at times even controls or influences the minds of humans.

However, I don’t see the Biblical basis of God controlling every “finger twitch” and every thought of every human being. Not only that but it is counter to the reason why he made us:

Genesis 1:26 NLT
    [26] Then God said, "Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground."

If he created us to rule, why would he micromanage every action and though we had? Kinda defeats the purpose.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.