1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

From Saul to Paul

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Nov 19, 2022.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We find the Pharisee Saul with two names, in which I take…

1. Saul - Hebrew name with regal connotation
    2. Paul - Roman name

Adopting his Roman name would allow Paul to approach the Gentiles to whom he was sent and speak to them in their own language, becoming as one of them and setting them at ease. It is also possible that Paul gave up the use of his Hebrew name, Saul, with its regal connotation and chose to use his Roman name, Paul, meaning “little” or “small,” because he desired to became smaller in order to present Christ as greater. - When and why was Saul’s name changed to Paul? | GotQuestions.org

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wondering also on the impact of Sergius Paulus - Sergius Paulus - Wikipedia

Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus, a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God.- Acts 13:6

That was a rough first ministry journey! It wouldn't be until Acts 18 when the Lord would say...

7 And he departed thence, and entered into a certain man's house, named Justus, one that worshipped God, whose house joined hard to the synagogue.
    8 And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.
    9 Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:
    10 For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city.
    11 And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.- Acts 18

I can imagine a needed rest!