1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fruits of Calvanism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by samarelda, Apr 7, 2006.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

That's the P in tulip, right? Prank Calling of the Holy Spirit? </font>[/QUOTE]That is rather base of you James. Why on earth would you say that?

Holy Spirit conviction is not the same as a call to repentance.

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

And the majority is often wrong.

No, I pointed out how he made claims that are not true. Plenty of non-Calvinists would never make some of the claims he did. He mis-represents the facts.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why, because God predestined the majority would believe in false doctrine?

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Why, because God predestined the majority would believe in false doctrine? </font>[/QUOTE]Everything that happens, happens to fulfill the purposes of God.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Why, because God predestined the majority would believe in false doctrine? </font>[/QUOTE]He certainly foreknew it [​IMG]

6. Dustin

Dustin New Member

You know what I was thinking today, what if perchance God DID predestine people to hell ( I don't belive so) I mean what could we say about? We're all sinners and He's God and we're not.

7. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I think Comfort is right on the money.

8. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

That doesn't work. I know of several people who have tried that and they still disagree with me.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

pipedude, now thats funny [​IMG] , are you a calvinist?

10. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Oh, merciful heavens no!

I'm nothing at all. I follow nothing. I'm influenced by nothing. I've escaped every temptation to bias or misunderstanding or misinterpretation.

I just believe the Bible :rolleyes: and politely endure those who don't.

11. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

One of the fruits of Calvinism is endless argumentation with those who don't believe in Calvinism.

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Oh, merciful heavens no!

I'm nothing at all. I follow nothing. I'm influenced by nothing. I've escaped every temptation to bias or misunderstanding or misinterpretation.

I just believe the Bible :rolleyes: and politely endure those who don't.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I follow Christ, I am influnced by His Word and I study the Scriptures objectivly whcich lead me to embarce the doctrines of grace.

I fellowship and love those who disagree with me. :D

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Dr. Comfort concludes his message with this:

"You know what I’d do? I’d get a job that paid well and make a lot of money and accrue a lot of material possessions and I would live it up. That’s the end result of Calvinism."

Oh really? Thats the end result! Interesting that church history tells a differnt tell of Calvinism's end result- one of a deep love for God and a passion for His glory; one of fervent evangelistic efforts and great missionary movements; one of the Gospel being spread and God being glorified in all things. Seems Dr. Comfort forgot to check the facts again.

14. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Is THAT what makes people embarce Calvinism?

That implies some pretty bad things for those who don't embarce it, doesn't it?

But then, as I think back through the decades in which I've associated closely with those who embarce the doctrines of grace, I do seem to recall that they held similar opinions of those who do not embarce the same doctrines. It's an attitude, in fact, that is as immediately recognizable as a Boston accent.

I'd be tempted call it one of the fruits of Calvinism, except that there are some who don't display that characteristic attitude. So I'll just call it one of the pitfalls that some avoid, and most do not.

Embarce all you wish, ye predestinarians. If we all agreed, it would be a boring forum.

15. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's a description of reprobation (or word-faith, which is also reprobate), not Calvinism.

Statements like that make me wonder about the person's salvation. I know that's a big no-no around here, to question someone's salvation. But I've heard this before, and it's never made sense. Why would people stop soul-winning if God were sovereign? Maybe some folks have never progressed beyong the law. If soul winning isn't some kind of human work based on law, then they won't do it. Maybe they've never had God's law written on their hearts. This is what regeneration does.

For some folks I know, and I know them well, they would not waste their time leading a single soul to Christ unless they could give themselves, or their favorite venerated saint, the credit for it.

16. npetreley

npetreley New Member

IMO, the fruits of Calvinism is that one trusts in God for everything, and is obedient because He says so.

IMO, the fruits of free-willism is that one trusts in man for everything, and is obedient because if men are not obedient, God's will won't get done.

17. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Are you seriously seeking an engaging dilouge on Calvinism or are you just interested in reading your own words? I believe it is the latter.

I have no problem with a person disagreeing with the doctrines of sovereign grace (commonly called "Calvinism"). People disagree with positions all the time. But at least present your own biblical refutation. You can post a link to any sermon you want. Guess what? I can post links to sermons that trash Arminianism. I won't. Why? Because it is intellectually dishonest.

18. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Ez. 2:18: "When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand."

So the prophet who disobeys and does not warn the wicked, does God make him disobey and then punish him with the blood-guilt of the wicked? Is the prophet's decision to obey or disobey God his own decision, or is God making the decision for him? Is God's "absolute sovereignty" (using J.D.'s terminology) at stake if the prophet makes his own decision, whether to obey or disobey?

19. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

My friend, and your "fruits" are not the same? If you really believe one of the fruits of Calvinism is endless argumentation you shouldn't seek to be a mimick.

Hypocrisy stinks.

20. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

My friend, and your "fruits" are not the same? If you really believe one of the fruits of Calvinism is endless argumentation you shouldn't seek to be a mimick.

Hypocrisy stinks.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I never said said anything about argumentation over this issue being right or wrong, good or bad, or whether I was a Calvinist or not. And now, my brother, your incorrect surmisions are putrescible.