1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Fundamental View of Faith

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Van, May 14, 2012.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think that makes sense.

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Therefore the conclusion of the matter is, whosoever will, may by exercising their free will can elect to save themselves by having faith in Jesus for their salvation.

Much as it was in the giving of the law. God said, "I have put before you this day life and death. Choose life."

Of course every one of those hardheaded suckers chose death. Killed the prophets. So God sent his Son. They killed him. God raised him from the dead and told them again, "Choose life in my Son."

Somehow there is a cycle here that I do not believe belongs here.

Here is what I understand the word of God teaches.

The Son and the Father did something which could them bring about the following.

Hebrews 8:8-12 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
    For this [is] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Through obedience of faith (or faithfulness if you like) Jesus the Son of God, died. God the Father gave Jesus life again, raised Jesus from the dead. That was grace. It was grace because Jesus had been made sin for us and that sin separated Jesus from his Father. The Father raised Jesus from the dead by the Spirit is Life. Eternal Life that was given by promise via the Spirit.

`This Jesus did God raise up, of which we are all witnesses; at the right hand then of God having been exalted -- also the promise of the Holy Spirit having received from the Father -- he was shedding forth this, which now ye see and hear; (Remember Spirit is life)

As Jesus told his disciples, "for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you;"

He had to die and be given live again by the Holy Spirit before the Holy Spirit could be sent to them.

Is this true or not according to the scriptures.

It is this same Spirit that will give you life from the dead.

But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Close, but no cigar. When we elect to turn to Jesus, we do not "save" ourselves. But, if God credits our faith as righteousness, then He saves us. Thus it does not depend upon the man that wills or the man that runs, but upon God.

Second, we are "made alive" when we are united with Christ, for when we are separated we are dead in our sins, but when God puts us spiritually in Christ, we are made alive together with Christ, Ephesians 2:5. After we are spiritually in Christ, we are sealed with the Holy Spirit forever.

No one is "quickened" or made alive or regenerated outside of Christ, for we remain dead (=separated from God) until God puts us "in Christ."

4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The elect, those given the Holy Spirit, by the Holy Spirit are sealed until the redemption of the purchased possession. Are in a covenant relationship to God through Jesus Christ.

For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive [and] remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. (dead) For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.

Are these people dead or not?

Did they die in a covenant relationship to God with a guarantee (the earnest of the Spirit) of eternal life?

They are dead and are in the bosom of the Christ, a covenant relationship.

Do you know what this verse has guaranteed?
    Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing [is] God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit. 2C5:5
    To be clothed in eternal life. Eternal life is the house made without hands.

5. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Long story short, while the calvinists try to tell us that only they believe God has to give the ability to believe, it ain't true.

Even my totally arminian friends, the methodists, teach prevenient grace--that God goes before and gives each person a measure of grace, enough to believe.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason for the invention of "prevenient grace" is to overcome the Arminian acceptance of "total spiritual inability" due to the fall. Since the "T" of the tulip is unbiblical, there is no need to overcome the supposed disability with "prevenient grace" which alters us such that we can hear and respond affirmatively to the gospel. Two wrongs to not make a right.

A question for those holding the Arminian view, why would God give a person "prevenient grace" restoring the ability to respond to the gospel is a fallen person could respond without it? The gospel provides its own revelatory grace to those who hear and understand, and this comes before salvation. That is about as close to "prevenient grace" that can be found in scripture.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Percho, why did you not address my rebuttal to your previous post. Why do you keep changing the subject? Now you seem to be confusing physical death with being spiritually dead, i.e. separated from God.

1. We are not given the Holy Spirit by the Holy Spirit. We are baptized spiritually into the body of Christ by the Holy Spirit, and once in Christ, we are sealed in Christ with the Holy Spirit.

2. Those who physically die before the Lord returns are either in torment in Hades or present with the Lord in heaven.

Percho do you understand we do not save ourselves, but rather God saves us? You need to trust in God and not in yourself.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Nodak is not wrong, without God graciously revealing Jesus Christ to us, we would all be in darkness and unable to be saved.

Isa 9:2 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.

The reason man is blind is not because he does not have the ability to see, it is because we sit in darkness. It is no different from being in a dark room, we cannot see because there is no light, not because we lack the actual ability to see. Once a light is turned on, we are "enabled" to see.

It is the same with the gospel. No man is born knowing the gospel of Jesus Christ. Once God has revealed this to us by the preaching of the word of God, we are "enabled" to believe. We always had the ability to believe, and we all exercise faith in hundreds of ways every day. But no man can believe what he has not heard or does not know. This is exactly what Paul says in Romans 10:14.

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

The scriptures teach we are blind not because we lack ability, but revelation. The Calvinist falsely teaches we lack ability.

We do need God's grace to believe, we need the revelation of the word of God.

#88 Winman, May 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van,

You are the one who says that salvation comes by we having faith in.

I am the one who says that salvation was brought to light by the faith of Jesus plus the grace of God the Father in raising Jesus from the dead making him both Lord and Christ.

I am the one who believes salvation is totally of God. We do not choose to believe; We are called by God through his Son Jesus, set apart by the Holy Spirit of God, unto belief resulting in salvation.

Let me show you something.

Romans 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood,

That is the root of justification. The blood (therefore death) of Jesus, the Son of God. Without that shed blood (death) one could not be justified.
    Yet Paul twice uses the phrase, "justified by faith," Romans 3:28 and 5:1.
    The shed blood (death) is the faith.

John Gill on Romans 5:9
    Much more then being now justified by his blood…
    The apostle here argues from justification by Christ to salvation by him, there being a certain and inseparable connection between these two; whoever is justified shall be saved; and speaks of justification "as being now by his blood". Justification in God's mind from eternity proceeded upon the suretyship engagements of Christ to be performed in time; the Old Testament saints were justified of God with a view to the blood of the Lamb which was to be shed; this blood was "now" shed, and an application of justification by it was "now" made to the persons spoken of; which is the reason of this way of speaking. The blood of Christ intends his death, as appears from the context, and shows it to be a violent death; death by the effusion of blood. There is an emphasis upon it, "his blood"; not the blood of bulls and goats, nor of a mere innocent creature, but of Christ the Son of God; which is therefore efficacious to all the purposes for which it was shed, and particularly justification. This being ascribed to it, shows the concern Christ had in it, his blood is here put for the whole matter of justification; the shedding of that being the finishing part of it; and that our justification before God proceeds upon the foot of a satisfaction made to the law and justice of God: hence such as are interested in it,

You can see from that that Gill understood that justification was by shed blood.------Will come back to this.

The very same thing is seen about justification in the following verse.
    Romans 3:30 Seeing one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through the faith.

Up to the death (shed blood) and resurrection of Jesus justification was in, the blood of the Lamb which was to be shed; by faith
    After the death and resurrection of Jesus justification was through the blood which had been shed; through the faith.

Will come back to this from above. Of course John Gill did not really believe that it was the shed blood, the faith of Jesus Christ that justified man, for he added at the very end; "hence such as are interested in it." That takes salvation out of the hand of God and puts salvation in the hand of the man.

It is either the shed blood that is the faith that justifies, OR it is what the one who is interested believes that justifies.

Either Jesus the Son of God and God the Father save you OR you save yourself by what you believe.

Which is it?

#89 percho, May 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Percho, you continue to post off target.

Did I say salvation comes by us having faith in Christ? Nope. I said salvation comes when God credits our faith in Christ as righteousness.

Salvation was not brought to light, i.e. revealed, by the faith of Jesus. Jesus provided the salvation promised by His faithfulness to those who believe in Him.

We both believe salvation is totally of God.

We choose to believe in Christ or not, and we do so autonomously, we are not compelled by irresistible grace.

Words have meanings, the shed blood does equate with the suffering and death of Jesus, but that does not equate with "the faith of Jesus." Jesus laid down His life for us, all mankind, faithfully following the will of the Father.

Sometimes Jesus is referred to as "faith" because He is the object of our faith, we trust in Him alone for salvation, and not also in our works of righteousness which are merely filthy rags in God's eyes.

John Gills assertions are flawed, misrepresenting the word of God.

No one has said justification to life was not provided by Christ's death as our propitiation or means of salvation. It was!

You seem to have never tried to figure out Romans 3:30. First no one was justified to life before Christ died, for by the works of the Law no flesh is justified, Romans 3:20. The whole silly idea that the OT saints were saved by looking forward to the propitiation of Jesus is bogus and unbiblical.

It is the faithfulness of Jesus, to lay down His life for all mankind, that provides the justification to life to all men.

God saves us by putting us spiritually in Christ based on crediting our faith in Christ as righteousness.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A quick off topic comment on Romans 3:30, by faith and through faith.

The idea is that the circumcision, the Jews, have the Word of God and Jesus is Jewish, so out of the faith they have, comes justification; but the Gentiles do not have the Word of God or Jesus, so believers must take "the faith" to the Gentiles, because through the faith or by means of the faith justification is provided to the Gentiles. So the idea is not a different end point, i.e. being justified, but a different beginning point, with the Jews trusting in the promise of the Messiah, and the Gentiles starting from scratch.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Winman, I completely agree with your post #88, but revelatory grace is a better term, because some published Arminians say prevenient grace restores the total spiritual inability stemming from the fall sufficiently to respond to the gospel, which you correctly disavowed.

#92 Van, May 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood,

Is that in bold the very root of one being justified?

Is verse 9 of Romans the very truth of how one is justified or must one
    believe verse 9 before verse 9 is applied to the one who believes.

Who can have belief in God?

(For [the children] being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth)

Does one have to be called by God before he can be a believer?

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Percho, why did you not address the points made in my post. Are you able to engage in discussion? Now you have changed the subject yet again to Romans 5:9.

Again I say, have you made an effort to actually read and understand the verse? His blood is not our root. Do you have any idea of what scripture means when it refers to the root of someone?

When Christ died, he provided justification of life to all mankind, but only those whose faith God credits as righteousness receive the justification provided when God spiritually put them "in Christ." At the moment we are put in Christ we are justified by the blood of Jesus, not just for our past sins, but for our present and future sins. But more than this, we are saved from the future wrath of God which will be poured out upon those not justified, those whose name is not written in the Lamb's book of life.

Anyone who hears and understands the gospel can have belief in God and His Christ.

Next you present Romans 9, probably attempting to make some point, but I fear, it is your bogus assertion that God's election of two individuals for a purpose, demonstrates people are elected for salvation without regard to belief. Utter nonsense.

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You really misunderstand just how badly the effects of the fall of adam warped we sinners, and you err in not realising that NONE can even get saved by God unless the Lord wills it to get done!

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Yeshua1, you can post these Calvinism assertions till the cows come home, you have no support in scripture for these falsehoods.

Penal substitution is Calvinism's Trojan horse for Limited Atonement, it is a complete fiction.

Next you claim I said something other that we are saved by the shed blood of Christ. Misrepresentation. Truth matters.

Next you falsely claim my position is that God credits our faith as a work of righteousness. Complete fiction. I claim what Romans 4:5 says. Why misrepresent my views. Why demonstrate truth does not matter to you.

You go against the very words of Jesus, I quote them and exalt them.
    Paul said the the gospel is hidden from some who are perishing, 2 Corinthians 4:3, and Jesus told us of the first soil who did not understand the gospel, Matthew 13. However, Jesus told us of the other 3 kinds of soil that could understand the gospel, and Calvinism goes against this revelation and claims no one can understand it.

Finally, you deny that God chooses those rich in faith, James 2:5, and chooses people for salvation through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for the Spirit baptizes us into Christ, and through faith in the truth, 2 Thessalonians 2:13. I support my contentions with scripture after scripture.

The election of the church in eternity was corporate, Ephesians 1:4, but when God puts individuals into the body of Christ, it is down on the basis of faith, just as John 3:16 says, whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

#96 Van, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF election was based upon our faith in Christ, we could boast that I decided to accept him, but since based upon the Will of God...

Those whom HE foreknew, He predestined... Individual election, based upon His active working to bring His elect unto alvation in christ!

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Typical Calvinist falsehood, no reference will be provided for my saying that "it provides salvation for us." What you will find is "Christ provides salvation for us." Yeshua1 simply misrepresents others rather than defend from scripture the false doctrines of Calvinism.

Next, rather than admitting and apologizing for misrepresenting me by posting I said God credits our faith as a work of righteousness, you respond with a question. Shuck and jive, when Christians are supposed to speak with integrity.

I hold to what the Bible says in 2 Thessalonians 2:13, Romans 4:5, James 2:5 and on and on. For example what is the basis of our election for salvation according to scripture. Are we not chosen through faith in the truth, just as 2 Thessalonians 2:13 says. Where is the verse that supports unconditional election? None will be posted because they do not exist. Calvinism is a man made invention.

Here is a typical Calvinist claim, "jesus said the truths of the Kingdom hidden to those outside it." But no verse is referenced. What did Jesus really say, with references? John 3. Jesus said we must be born again to "see" the kingdom. However, the word translated "see" has the meaning of going to "see" the doctor or dentist. It refers to a face to face meeting with communication. Thus the idea is we must be born again to enter the kingdom of God, but Calvinism twists the idea into claimed support for not being able to apprehend the existence of the kingdom while in a fallen state. Pure twaddle.

And finally we have the idea that we cannot boast in Christ. Again, revealing a view that is the opposite of scripture.

In summary, false claim after false claim with no reference to any support in scripture. This is the sum and substance of Calvinism, i.e. false claims and faulty exegesis.

The meaning of the Greek words translated foreknew and foreknowledge is knowledge obtained or formulated in the past being used in the present. This meaning is consistent with 100% of the usages in scripture.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now the word "foreknowledge" as it is used in the New Testament is less ambiguous than in its simple form "to know." If every passage in which it occurs is carefully studied, it will be discovered that it is a moot point whether it ever has reference to the mere perception of events which are yet to take place. The fact is that "foreknowledge" is never used in Scripture in connection with events or actions; instead, it always has reference to persons. It is persons God is said to "foreknow," not the actions of those persons.

The Attributes of God
    by A.W. Pink

God foreknows NOT just what they will do, beilieve in jesus, but causes that to occur,as He has determined to establish a personal individual relationship with them!

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repeating falsehoods without addressing the rebuttal is about all Calvinism has to offer. I listed 3 and possibly four verses where the words referred to actions or attributes. A.W. Pink's view has been demonstrated false.

All we get for Calvinism is false assertion after false assertion, devoid of any scriptural support and in many cases saying the opposite of scripture.

The fundamental view of faith is pretty close to the mark, Christ died for all mankind and therefore 3 of the four kinds of fallen men (Matthew 13) are able to seek God and trust in Christ because of the work (revelatory grace) of the Holy Spirit.