1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Rhetorician, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To whom it may concern:

I ran across this statement of Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism at Central Baptist Seminary. I thought I might like to get some of my Fundamentalists breathren to parse it out and discuss it for me. It seems irenic and thoughtful concerning the two. So I thought I would post it. Please let me hear from you and what you think and the direction you believe the movement is going.

On Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism | Central Baptist Theological Seminary

Waiting to hear back from you.

sdg!

rd

2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My first impression was they are narrowing the definitions edging out Arminians (Which by the way is a good thing in my estimation) and taking a stronger or more dogmatic stance in their convictions.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be interested in having them define "manipulative exhortation"

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev: Central and Maranatha Baptist University are in the top tier of Fundamental seminaries. So, this article from Central deals with matters not necessarily pertaining to the SBC. In this case, I would say "manipulative exhortation" would include
    Overly long invitations.
    Getting folks to raise their hands muliple times. (the late Dr. B. Myron Cedarholm recounted his experience at a evangelistic meeting where William Beidwolf was the preacher.)
    In my way of thinking, it's prevalent in the Hyles sector of the Baptist galaxy. It comes from the revivalistic thinking of Finney.

#4 Squire Robertsson, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2