1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamentalist View On Dallas Theological Seminary Professors

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Truth Seeker, May 13, 2007.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe he was referring to Brother Calvin.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    bingo!

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I look at it in the context of the Trinity. Unless the atonement is particular & effective then we have really destroyed unity & harmony of the Trinity. Then you would be saying that the members of the Trinity don't quite know what they are doing. The Father has chosen the Elect......but the Son has died for All ......and the HS has managed to apply the Atoning Work of Christ to some????? What a flipping scrum that would be. :confused:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually I view it as definite atonement. What the Arminian has is truly limited in the sense of indefinite.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just suggesting that most of them on staff there would themselves call them 4 pointers, as they would hold to unlimited atonement, and agree with other 4 points!

There is a theological term for being a 4 pointer though also!

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alas Tom, your reasoning and logic is human reasoning and logic.
    :)
    The reason we cannot cogitate correctly as God does is because His thoughts are beyond our capacity to even find out. e.g. We are unable to think eternal thoughts but are limited to a beginning and an end.

Isaiah 55
    8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
    9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

The heavens are infinite.

I have no doubt whatsoever that salvation is all of God and none of us.

Thank you for the Ephesians passage.

So do we really need a mortal flesh being to tell us that 1500 years after the greatest display of grace in the universe of that fact?

Christ, the prophets and apostles inspired of the Holy Spirit told us that beforehand.

Hebrews 1:1 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets,
    2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds;

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Ephesians 2
    8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

HankD

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't mean God, I meant Calvin but I think you knew that :D

HankD

8. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As one of this forum's founding moderators, I am issuing this ukase.

• Get back to discussing Dallas Theological Seminary or I will close this thread.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ops, took a wrong path trying to determine who tiptoes thru the TULIPS at Dallas Theological Seminary and what is their official stance assuming there is even an official stance.

My Alma Mater was Calvary University at KCMO. We had an unofficial alliance with DTS and though we had a graduate school at Calvary some of our graduates went on to Dallas.

There was a mixed multitude of 3.5, 4 and 5 pointers at Calvary with an occasional civil war breaking out.

I was a mugwump even then so I stayed out of it.

HankD

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    However, good question. However, that wasn't the path this thread was taking.

11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In compliance with Keith's advice to return to the topic, as my professors at Dallas like to say when accused of being philosophical rather than theological, "think on these things."

Okay, I will be the first to say that Dallas does have its share of Neo-Evangelicals on staff. That was the reason my Church History professor resigned as Chairman of the Department of Church History.

But also be aware that the revisionists have also changed the meaning of "Neo-Evangelicalism" since the phrase was coined by Harold Ockenga:

"Neo-evangelicalism was born in 1948 in connection with a convocation address which I gave in the Civic Auditorium in Pasadena. While reaffirming the theological view of fundamentalism, this address repudiated its ecclesiology and its social theory. The ringing call for a repudiation of separatism and the summons to social involvement received a hearty response from many Evangelicals. ... It differed from fundamentalism in its repudiation of separatism and its determination to engage itself in the theological dialogue of the day. It had a new emphasis upon the application of the gospel to the sociological, political, and economic areas of life."

Ockenga want on to say that Neo-Evangelicalism also wanted to "re-think" such things as the flood of Noah, the days of Creation, and other "problem texts" in the bible.

Fuller Seminary, with Ockenga at the helm, went down hill fast. Even Ockenga's friend and VP of Fuller, Harold Lindsell, exposed the raw underside of the "New Evangelicalism" in his book "The Battle for the Bible." Chapter 6 deals with "The Strange Case of Fuller Seminary." You can read it yourself, here: http://www.biblical-data.org/Fuller_seminary.pdf

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the 1960'S My wife and I attended Tremont Temple Baptist church just 1/2 block down from Park St church which Ockenga pastored. Later we joined Cornerstone Baptist (KJVO).

Park St church was just off the Boston Common Park and in those days we would do street preaching right outside of Park St (in the Common to make it legal).

I don't remember hearing any bad things about Dallas at Cornerstone.
    However New-Evangelicalism (as the pastor called it) and Ockenga was a pariah there.

HankD