1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured FYI on Hyper-Calvinism:

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Mar 13, 2012.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

No old grudge *tom, I'm simply recounting your ways. You don't possess enough acumen theologically, nor otherwise to effect me to hold a grudge.

The point is, you need to start owning up. To you.

Several have noted this and have made such a suggestion.

My bet is it will never happen. Your pride (which is ridiculous and unfounded) won't afford you such an ample opportunity.

2. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you couldn't find any examples, could you?

Yes, I am proud. On that you are right. And it is not a good thing. But it is not on the thing that you think. For those things that seem to rankle you (and I am sorry about that), on those things I am actually obdurately thankful. I am speaking of those doctrines that are usually summed up as "Preterism".

Either way I am very thankful for God's mercy and grace, that He is merciful to me in my many faults - but you have none, I assume? Or your Bible does not have Rom 2:1? Or Matt. 7:1-4?

And I am thankful for the wonderful things I am learning concerning God's kingdom, the spiritual nature of both it and of our King.

I am also thankful for the give-and-take here at BB, even (or especially) from those who differ, though graciously and with open Bible.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 25:8-11

New International Version (NIV)

8 Good and upright is the LORD;
    therefore he instructs sinners in his ways.
    9 He guides the humble in what is right
    and teaches them his way.
    10 All the ways of the LORD are loving and faithful
    toward those who keep the demands of his covenant.
    11 For the sake of your name, LORD,
    forgive my iniquity, though it is great.

And

Matthew 5:22-24

22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister[a] will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’[c] is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

23 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.

good night

4. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am already invited, in true Steve fashion, to prove something I don't believe. I do not believe that the ebb of morality here is strictly Jewish. Neither do I believe that Paul is speaking here of an improvement. Frankly, I don't even see the connection. This has been one factor in holding off on comment.
    And, again, you are arguing against Preterism from within a futurist framework (though unconsciously assuming it is a universal one): "New heavens and new earth" is a theological term, an eschatological idiom, that needs to be understood from it's Jewish Old Testament foundation, not modern literal futurism. BTW, when Paul speaks elsewhere about being a "new creature" he is drawing upon this idiom.

In the "New heavens and new earth" the wolf and the lamb will lie together. The asp will still be - is right now - on Mount Zion. This is all to say that the Kingdom of Zion is right now concurrent with the deprecated kingdoms of the world. But the citizens of the Kingdom will, throughout, be overcomers and conquerors. They will be unharmed, never snatched from the Saviour's hands. They will - they do right now - follow Him wherever He goes.

Though Paul was writing here to a half-Gentile ministering in a largely Gentile city, he himself was a Jew, thoroughly versed and soaked in the Old Testament. When he wrote to Timothy, "all Scripture is inspired of God, etc." he was referring to the Old Testament.
    See above.
    Not relevant here. The peril here, as you yourself seem to have noticed, has to do with morality. Actually, to be more precise, spirituality.

A good study here would be to look up all of the perilous verses, along with clear synonyms and similar phrases ("Why are we in danger at every hour?", etc.) [This is actually a note to myself]
    I don't care that much whether you take me seriously, Steve. I am sorry to say that you have gone down in my estimation just from the countless attacks you have done to me. I really believe that you are sincere in your beliefs - as am I - and that you are a brother.

But you are, at the same time, a perfect picture of what happens when someone loosens their hold on Scripture and allows something else to take its place (to some degree, at least). The censure or praise of such a person has relatively little value to me.

#144 asterisktom, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

That's what I thought Tom, yet even some well-known American dictionaries seem to define "high church" in the same way as we do here.
    Merriam-Webster: favoring especially in Anglican worship the sacerdotal, liturgical, ceremonial, and traditional elements in worship

American Heritage Dictionary: Of or relating to a group in the Anglican Church that stresses the historical continuity of Catholic Christianity and maintains traditional definitions of authority, the episcopacy, and the nature of the sacraments.
    But I'd better not drag this thread off course, so I'll stop there. Thanks again!

6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

According to the American Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
    a close friend

7. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, David. I probably should have just been satisfied with using "traditionalist", seeing that "high church" apparently evokes a wider association than I had intended.

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks, Tom, but let me assure you - my post wasn't intended as a criticism! :laugh:

9. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rest assured, it wasn't taken as such. But this little episode has reminded me to be extra careful in my terms.

10. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well David, next time I come amd preach for you, I shall be wearing a stole, a cassock, a dog collar and a purple shirt. I shall be preaching from the Apocrypha and in Latin. I hope you don't mind. :laugh:

Steve

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Steve, dont forget the holy water & the candles....cross yourself often & what no miter. Maybe you can hear my confession (im a bad boy!) :smilewinkgrin:

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

What? Listen Brother, he doesn't have all week, ya know...:smilewinkgrin: J/K with ya Brother, youse knows???

fahgetaboutit!!!

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    no he would probably need a month Im sorry to say....but I admit it! :smilewinkgrin:

14. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks fort letting me know, Steve! It gives me time to get an order in for the associated paraphernalia (incense, candles, plainsong sheet-music, a cross to lead the "procession" and "recession"......) :laugh:

15. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

What's the difference between a Hyper Calvie and just a Calvie? The Hyper Calvie is logically consistent.

16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can well believe it. It might be more than my delicate nerves could stand. :laugh:

Steve

17. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Actually, that is at least partially true, at least in terms of Supralapsarians. True Blue Infralapsarian Calvinist Compatibalists, like myself, believe very strongly in God's Sovereignty, AND man's responsibility, so this would not be true there. We are not willing to compromise God's Sovereignty, like the Arminian, nor are we willing to Compromise man's inherent responsibility (at least logically speaking) before God, like the Supralapsarian.

Of course, if Arminians were consistent, they would all be Rick Warren types, performing whatever "tricks" are necessary to yank a decision out of someone.

18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#158 Martin Marprelate, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
  19. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a few short comments for now:
    The essence of faith is not to "wait for something that has not yet occurred" but to believe in eternal things invisible, even though sight and seeming experience seem to tell us otherwise. It is, ultimately, to be assured of God's presence and goodness - and in the victory of His Kingdom - even though outward circumstances point to an opposite conclusion.

It is loving His presence even more than His coming. The latter is a temporal event, the former an eternal reality.

As far as your link is concerned, those are all impossible for me to get. This country does not allow access to most blogs.

20. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doubtless it is both those things. What it is not is to scoff at those who wait patiently for the fulfillment of God's promises (Heb 11:9-10).

The first Century Christians knew the truth of God's presence among them (Col 1:27), but that did not stop them eagerly awaiting His coming (1Cor 1:7; Phil 3:20f; 1 Thes 1:9f; Titus 2:13; Heb 9:28 etc.).
    That is a shame. I have just posted a further study, specifically on Matt 24:34. Perhaps I will cut and paste an extract for you in due course.

Steve