1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Galatians 5: 5-18 Using Multiple Translations

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by RipponRedeaux, Aug 9, 2021.

1. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

In the Apostolic age and in the primitive church, of which the Corinthian church was one, there was an apostolic gift of tongues. All 5 of those special gifts are mentioned in the last two or three verses of Mark 16, if your particular train wreck even contains those verses. Some train wrecks don’t.

The point of addressing tongues in this church is to early on affirm and confirm that the exercise of this gift was only when Jews were present and then only by an apostle or a prophet. Why? Because tongues was a sign to them. A sign that they as a people was under the chastening hand of God and he was not speaking to them in their own language. Paul quoted a passage from Isaiah in chapter 14 to make the point.

1 Corinthians 14:22
    Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, (Gentiles) but to them that believe not (Jew’s): but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

So, you have conveniently taken that argument out of context as your custom is.

This is a gentile church, BTW, so don’t require much tongue speaking although they were getting a lot it seems.

I have told you this over and over. One does not need a bible to witness and to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ but the preacher must have a personal testimony of salvation. This is the reaso it is called witnessing. Your own words will do just fine if you have that.

#21 JD731, Aug 21, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  2. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    duplicate

#22 JD731, Aug 21, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  3. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But a lot of what you say should be full of scriptural content. It should not be a Me, Me, me thing.