1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gardening

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Beth, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Beth

Beth New Member

For those of you who garden, what are you planning to plant this year?

I just got my seeds from Gurneys and Johnny's in Maine. I am pretty excited about planting in the spring, despite us having three to four feet snow drifts!!!

2. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

We try to grow at least a couple fruit trees a year. Between the sudden frosts and the deer, we've lost a few. WE are also trying to get some berries growing here and there. Those are practically maintenance free.
    We grow a few vegetables. Snow peas, carrots, lettuce, potatoes...all taste better when really fresh.
    I don't usually bother with ornamental stuff, unless it's something perinnial I really like. Just too hot here in the summer to work outside any longer that necessary.
    I like experimenting with very unusual plants, too. I can get them through catalogs.

love,

Sopranette

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I'm thinking......grass. LOL!

I have two very black thumbs and tend to kill everything I come in contact with unless it thrives on neglect. I do much better with living things that can move and make noise to remind me they haven't been fed and watered. Poor, poor plants!

I might grab a few more vitex saplings when the extension office has it's spring sale. The ones I bought last year did really well considering they spent the summer in pots instead of in the ground. They finally made it in the ground at the end of summer. Stayed green for another month or so and I haven't actually looked at them since then, but I'm fairly sure they survived. Maybe. Oh well, if they didn't I only spent $3 on them all, so I'm not out much and it will be par for the course!

Black, black thumbs!

4. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I love gardening. Last year I planted lots of shade plants (hostas, coral bells, lenten rose, ferns, acanthus, ajuga, mondo grass), but due to our severe drought here, I'm afraid many of them didn't survive. I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised!!

Because of our relatively mild winters, I can usually grow lettuce all winter in pots on the deck. But this year, I didn't plant any because we are not allowed to water anything. We are under a complete watering ban. But I have to say our Governor Sonny Perdue held a prayer service for rain a few months ago, and it has rained every week since. Maybe this spring will be OK!!

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I plan to have some tomato plants in 5-gallon buckets on our deck this summer. Should I plant the seeds indoors now, or wait? Usually I just buy plants, but thought I'd start from seeds this year.

6. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Never have had a green thumb.... but I need the sunshine, the exercise, and the fresh food....

So....
    Hoping to have a garden: The farmer, who grows cotton on the surrounding land, disked a portion of my yard this spring when he cut in his field, and I've already broadcasted (because I have no spreader) some lime over the area. I'm hoping to get someone with plows to lay out some rows... but may have to work up hills with a hoe.

I have corn, okra, cuccumbers, canteloupe, squash, tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, and onion sets. I also have lettuce, radish, mustard, collards, spinach, but most of this would do better in fall and winter and early spring....not summer.

Have been checking with the local feed and seed about some chicks expected any day now.

Already have blueberry and pecans. Never had luck with fruit trees...but it may be my black thumb....lol. I do have some caladiums including the Elephant Ear to plant this year.....

Oh yes! I'm trying to go organic as much as possible. Recently disposed of all insecticides and herbicides on hazardous waste amnesty day. Will be using chick droppings, bone meal, epson salts, diatomaceous earth, fish meal and other organic fertilizers for growth and pest control. Hopefully the chicks will also help in insect control without destroying too much of my garden..... Have already made plans to supplement their food with kitchen scraps and kitchen grown sprouts... Have decided to allow free-range or not. This may be determined better after I see what predators they attract after I get them started....if any.

Would like to hear others plans, ideas, problems and solutions....
    And best wishes for 'your' successes!