1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Genesis 1:2

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, May 30, 2008.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed. I hope you know that as I have stated there is no "gap" between Genesis 1:1-2 and verse 3 but a difference in the mode of creation.

Did you know that the Scripture declares that God both created (bara) and formed (yatzar) man?

He "formed" (yatzar) man from pre-existing materials (which He had "created" (bara)).

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed (yatzar) man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Also the earth:

KJV Isaiah 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

Look, what difference does a "gap" make anyway? It's a small flaw in anyones theology compared to some other things people believe, say and/or do.

You have a message, salt it with a little grace brother and people will be more inclined to listen to you.

2 Timothy 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient.

Spurgeon has been reported to have said:

"you don't have to defend the Bible. It's like a lion, just turn it loose".

HankD​

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You go Brother, this is very good ! :thumbs:​

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

There are several words used in Genesis used to indicate that God brought something into existence (first occurrences in KJV) --
    1:1, In the beginning God created (bara')...

1:3, And God said, Let there be (hayah)...

1:7, And God made ('asah)...

1:11, And God said, Let the earth bring forth (dasha)...

1:20, And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly (sharats)...

2:7, And the LORD God formed (yatsar)...

2:9, And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow (tsamach)...

2:22, And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made (banah)...
    Actually, "man" was to be made (1:26), created (1:27), and formed (2:7)!

We also find that "heaven" and "earth" are each described as bara' & 'asah; the "firmament" was brought about by hayah & 'asah; some (or all) kinds of trees may have been both dasha & tsamach; and that some (or all) kinds of "beast" and "fowl" may have been both dasha & yatsar.

#23 franklinmonroe, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008
  4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's pretty undeniable that at one time there were a lotta life forms, both plant & animal, that are now extinct. that fact does not clash with the fact that God formed the PRESENT ARRANGEMENT in 6 literal days & nights. The main change overall in His order of nature since then is that the year is now 365 1/4 days long insteada 360 days, twelve 30-day months as it originally was.

God caused all those fossils to be formed/discovered for a reason. Are the very stones crying out to us?

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Can I say "A-men!" now?

I can't help but be "salty" and I choose to remain with savour.:godisgood:

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you can say amen and you could have all along.

Bless you brother.

HankD