1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Get Ready! the entire TNIV will be released next week!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by EaglewingIS4031, Jan 27, 2005.

1. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Re the TNIV, IMHO, it is a perversion of the text, whether you prefer Byzantine, Alexandrian, Majority (HF or RP), TR... Or most of the English MVs. The purpose of the TNIV was to alter the sense of the Greek to make it culturally palatable (easy to swallow) for our modern feminazi society (OK, if you hate Rush, please excuse the limbaughism there).

I printed mine out soon after the free “TNIV NT Preview Edition” was released. I have not be impressed, at least not favorably.

CBMW has a wealth of excellent material regarding the TNIV’s gender neutral bias and the way that the translation has been distorted at this link... They also note where some denominational bodies stand on the TNIV. Very thorough...

http://www.cbmw.org/resources/tniv/

2. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

If you are interested in "try before you buy" the whole thing is available as a PDF download at this link... All you need is Adobe Acrobat Reader... (and a fast connection to the WWW, mine dumped to my PC in less than a minute.)

http://www.tniv.info/pdf/TNIV_Bible_SA.pdf

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I would like to also be on the record for disagreeing with the TNIV also. ANY translator that translates the original Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic (regardless of the source, TR, MT, etc.) in error, on purpose is nothing short of being evil and the first steps towards completely rewritten Bibles.

Things take place in small steps. In I love lucy the actors and acrtresses slept in seperate beds (even if married). Then came one bed, then came kissing, then came kissing under covers with clothes off. Now look at TV daytime shows. These sexual scenes did NOT take place overnight. It took time. In order to make changes, it is necesary to take small steps that people can learn to accept. THIS is bad news.

4. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

I agree with Phillip.....
    Evil many times comes upon us by degrees...We are told to be sober and vigilant, watchful for the intrusion of evil.
    I heard a story which I believe that D. James Kennedy told one time about a frog. He said: That if one puts a frog into hot water, it will immediately jump out. If however, one puts a frog into a pan of cool water, and then heats the water by degrees; the frog will remain until it boils to death, having never realized the water was growing ever hotter.
    I think this is an illustration appropiate to the TNIV and its possible impact upon Christianity.....As I said, a little deception goes a long way! A "little compromise" eventually kills.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I support the TNIV because I believe that in the places where "brothers" is changed to "brothers and sisters" convey the understanding that the original readers would have had. I understand that that can be a "slippery slope" when it comes to translation, trying to establish the original intent of the writer, but don't we do that to some degree everytime we study the bible?

Why haven't groups like Lifeway (SBC) and The Coouncil on Biblical blah..blah come out against the NLT, it follows the same gender policy of the TNIV? Even the HCSB has gender accurate usage like the TNIV, as does the ESV.

6. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

This is where I must disagree, as I believe that the translators of the TNIV have gone far beyond an attempt to render a passage understandably, into the realm of contextual change for the sake of "political correctness" (for lack of a better term). Two such examples taken from the following web site http://www.no-tniv.com/ appear below (There is a concise listing of over 900 such aberrations that may be found at the same site):
    NIV Luke 17:3 If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.
    TNIV: Luke 17:3 If any brother or sister sins against you, rebuke the offender; and if they repent, forgive them.
    Comment: (1) Inserts "or sister," which Jesus did not say. Jesus is using a single male individual ("your brother") as an example of a general truth, but TNIV will not let him do this. (Greek can say "brother or sister" when it wishes, as in James 2:15 "Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.") (2) Translates Greek singular pronoun autos ("he, him") as "them," which is fuzzy grammar in written English and puzzles readers who will wonder if Jesus meant that plural people ("they") had to repent. (This change to what the TNIV preface calls "singular ‘they/their/them’" has been done frequently throughout the whole New Testament.) (3) Adds the words "against you" and "the offender," which are not in the Greek text.

NIV John 19:12 Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jews kept shouting, "If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar..."
    TNIV John 19:12 Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jewish leaders kept shouting, "If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar..."
    Comment: Inserts the word "leaders," which is not in the Greek text. Tends to remove a share of responsibility from the common people. (Similar changes are made about twenty times in John in passages talking about those who opposed Jesus, and in Acts 13:50; 21:11 talking about Paul's Jewish enemies.) Note that John can specify the leaders when he wants to, because six verses earlier, John specifies that "the chief priests and their officials ... shouted" (John 19:6).

I would encourage you to see for yourself if this "translation" is merely an attempt to render faithfully the word of God.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I have been reading the TNIV since it first came out, I am confident that is an attempt to render faithfully the word of God.

I understand it will not be for everyone, but the post-modern and emergent churches now have another tool in the ole box to reach those generations without having to stop and answer the question "If it means man and women, why does it just say man?"

8. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

As I read my previous post, I think that a little clarification of contextual change is necessary:
    In Luke 17:3 is the glaring change that implies that a "Brother of Sister" must sin against you before you rebuke "them". What then of a brother who commits sin not directed specifically against you....According to this passage from TNIV it is implied that in that case we don't have/need to rebuke or correct him.

In John 19:12 the rendering of the TNIV removes all responsibility from the crowd of people who, if I remember correctly, were screaming "Crucify Him".

Seems to me that any way you cut it, these are changes meant to conform to a political agenda or particular mindset.........Not an attempt to make the Word of God more understandable.

9. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I agree with go2church.

10. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

It doesn't bother you that the verses quoted above have been altered from the originals? Adding "leaders" seems to be a deliberate "politically correct" modification if the original language had no such indication.

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I guess we can just keep changing the original Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic to make it sound like we want in order to make another tool for emergant churches.

We can have the "homosexual" neutral Bible (a GOOD tool for a lot of new churches)

We can have the "adultry" neutral Bible (which will fit a lot of deacons in some of the more liberal churches)

We can have the "Evolutionist" neutral Bible and just leave out Genesis.

Yeah, you got it, NEW TOOLS FOR EVERYBODY. PASS THEM AROUND; LET'S evangelize!!!!!!! :D [​IMG]

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phillip aka "Chicken Little", step away from the edge! Hug a KJV and step away from the edge.

13. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was told they took out the reference to God as our Father in some places. Is that true?

14. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother,

Was that 100% necessary?

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Relax, it's a joke and no, it wasn't 100% necessary but I thought it was funny.

16. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

ok the NASB reads John 19:12

12 As a result of this Pilate made efforts to release Him, but the Jews cried out saying, "If you release this Man, you are no friend of Caesar; everyone who makes himself out {to be} a king opposes Caesar."

and the TNIV reads

12From then on, Pilate tried to set Jesus free,
    but the Jews kept shouting, “If you let this man
    go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who
    claims to be a king opposes Caesar.”

Sounds the same to me. No mention of Crucify Him in either Version. You must be thinking of another verse.

17. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Relaxing. [​IMG]

Thought you were being harsh. Its hard to tell on these boards sometimes.

In Christ,

Brooks

18. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Originally posted by Phillip:
    Let's not forget the Egotist Bible: Thou shalt have no other gods beside me and thyself.

19. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Not so much.

20. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

'tis okay. go2church can punch at me anytime. We all good Christians here; playing in our sandbox and occasionally throwing sand in each others eyes. [​IMG] :D [​IMG]