1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Get your hands off our God...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gunther, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Gunther

Gunther New Member

This quote is taken from FoxNews just moments ago.

"Get your hands off our God, God haters!" yelled the wildly gesturing, red-faced man who initiated the chanting.

The 10 commandments = God?

Just a couple of thoughts here.

1. This is idolatry.
    2. This is no different than the Jews proclaiming that the golden calf was God.
    3. This is what you get with these moralists.
    4. God is not interested in a moral America. He is interested in salvation that reaches the ends of the earth.
    5. God is no more pleased with unregenerate moralists than he is unregenerate pagans.
    6. {Some try}* the guilt by associate with the ACLU. Well, better them than idolators (btw, I am very conservative politically and am against just about everything they do).

*Member's name edited from post. Please direct your grievance toward the issue, not the person holding the opinion. Thank you. - CK

[ August 27, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

2. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

I heard that to. I also heard a man around him say that "that is not our God". The protestor told him "I know, but it represents what they(authorities) want to do". In other words he knew it was not God, but he knows that it is the purpose behind the opposition to the monument, is to remove God out of our society. That seems to negate your whole post.

Also, Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove [them].

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I cringed when I saw this.

I then cringed further when they showed the gay guy trying to calm him down.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The last time I checked, the Ten Commandments are not God. Referring to them as such is idolatrous.

5. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Mike, How do you know that guy is gay?

Johnv Please go and reread my post above.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I read it. It's still an idolatrous statement, regardless of the man's motive.

7. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Johnv reread my statement. No idol worship is there, except in your mind.

8. poetrob68

poetrob68 New Member

The Ten Commandments are not God?
    They are just His words.
    What our lives should be guided by.
    Our morals.
    Our stand on things.
    Judge Moore was not standing up for
    the Ten Commandments.
    He was standing up for the ideals our
    country was founded on.
    As for the ACLU, they jump on every wagon
    that comes to town attacking our right to
    worship God.
    My thought on this is:
    Where were the Christians when this Judge
    was standing up for God? Many said " Obey
    the laws of the land"
    Sorry God! you aren't important anymore. (Sarcasm)
    I have to obey the laws even if they tell me I
    can't acknowledge you. Later. (More Sarcasm) [​IMG]

9. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I was really shocked when I heard this quoted on the radio news here in Wake Forest, NC. However, I was really moved to tears when I heard, on the same radio broadcast, a man weeping in prayer for God to forgive our nation for our offense to Him and His word. That is/was a much more proper response. That man stopped where he was and stood in the gap in prayer for our nation. That is what we all should be doing.

10. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

And still, the question remains: How is taking a 5000 pound piece of stone an offense to God?

11. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Psalms 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, [and] all the nations that forget God.

12. Gunther

Gunther New Member

I wonder if Jailminister knows that "nations" does not refer to political entities in Scripture. Probably not.

13. ScottEmerson

I wonder if Jailminister knows that if we need a 5000 pount piece of rock to remember God, then we have ALREADY forgotten him.

14. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

I wonder if scott or gunther know [anything]?

[Edited due to complaint about the phrased used.]

[ August 30, 2003, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: BibleboyII ]

15. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

And still, the question remains: How is taking a 5000 pound piece of stone an offense to God? </font>[/QUOTE]Well...

First, you negelect to mention the fact that the "5000 pound piece of stone" was inscribed with a passage of Scripture (God's Word). Like it or not there is a very real movement within certain circles in our nation to do way with any reference or mention of the existance of God, His Word, etc. in any public setting. There really are folks in our nation that want to push such an aganda and thereby force our nation as a whole to turn its back on God and His Holy Word.

[ August 30, 2003, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: BibleboyII ]

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While it points more to ethnicity, it corresponds to the modern meaning of “nation”.

KJV Exodus 9:24 So there was hail, and fire mingled with the hail, very grievous, such as there was none like it in all the land of Egypt since it became a nation.

Goy or goyim in Hebrew.

1471 {go'-ee}
    Meaning: n m 1) nation, people 1a) nation, people 1a1) usually of non-Hebrew people 1a2) of descendants of Abraham 1a3) of Israel 1b) of swarm of locusts, other animals (fig.) n pr m 1c) Goyim? = "nations"
    Origin: apparently from the same root as 01465; TWOT - 326e
    Usage: AV - nation 374, heathen 143, Gentiles 30, people 11; 558

HankD

17. poetrob68

poetrob68 New Member

I can tell by some of the responses, this is
    a forum I will not post in very often.

18. ScottEmerson

Than, maybe - just maybe, our goal isn't to keep a 5,000 pound stone in the middle of a public place. It is to reach out to a country which finds Christianity outdated, intolerant, and ignorant. Making a big deal about a rock is only addressing something that is an effect - we should be addressing the cause instead. Otherwise, we are merely giving that population more fuel to their fire.

Talk to non-Christians. You'll hear them say the same thing about what the ordeal in Montgomery is doing to their perception of Christians.

19. KenD

KenD New Member

Here is a good question to ask. How many of the people that protest the removal of the monument have something like it in their yard? How many wear shirts displaying the 10 commandments? I know that some do, but not all, and nobody is preventing them from it. There are plenty of private yet visible places that Christians can display whatever they want. We should not need the government to do it for us. Judge Moore could move the monument to the middle of shopping mall if the owners would allow it. He could pay to display the 10 commandment on a billboard. The government cannot stop public display on private property. At least not yet.

KenD

20. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Originally posted by KenD:
    The government cannot stop public display on private property. At least not yet.

If I recall, the American Center For Law and Justice is involved with a case right now where a judge has ordered a town to remove something, The Ten Commandments I believe it was, from a property that is privately owned. I can't believe this judges' decision will stand, but this could be indicative of a slippery slope toward banning expression on private property if it can be seen and deemed offensive to someone.