1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gifts and Miracles in The Early Church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Mar 12, 2021.

1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    JUSTIN MARTYR 100-165

“For the prophetical gifts remain with us, even to the present time. And hence you ought to understand that [the gifts] formerly among your nation have been transferred to us.” - Dialogue with Trypho, ch 82

“But Jesus, His name as man and Saviour, has also significance. For He was made man also, as we before said, having been conceived according to the will of God the Father, for the sake of believing men, and for the destruction of the demons. And now you can learn this from what is under your own observation. For numberless demoniacs throughout the whole world, and in your city, many of our Christian men exorcising them in the name of Jesus Christ, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, have healed and do heal, rendering helpless and driving the possessing devils out of the men, though they could not be cured by all the other exorcists, and those who used incantations and drugs.” - Second Apology, ch. 6

IRENAEUS -130-200

"If, however, they maintain that the Lord, too, performed such works simply in appearance, we shall refer them to the prophetical writings, and prove from these both that all things were thus predicted regarding Him, and did take place undoubtedly, and that He is the only Son of God. Wherefore, also, those who are in truth His disciples, receiving grace from Him, do in His name perform [miracles], so as to promote the welfare of other men, according to the gift which each one has received from Him. For some do certainly and truly drive out devils, so that those who have thus been cleansed from evil spirits frequently both believe [in Christ], and join themselves to the Church. Others have foreknowledge of things to come: they see visions, and utter prophetic expressions. Others still, heal the sick by laying their hands upon them, and they are made whole. Yea, moreover, as I have said, the dead even have been raised up, and remained among us for many years. And what shall I more say? It is not possible to name the number of the gifts which the Church, [scattered] throughout the whole world, has received from God, in the name of Jesus Christ, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, and which she exerts day by day for the benefit of the Gentiles ." - Against Heresies II Ch xxxii

"Now God shall be glorified in His handiwork, fitting it so as to be conformable to, and modelled after, His own Son. For by the hands of the Father, that is, by the Son and the Holy Spirit, man, and not [merely] a part of man, was made in the likeness of God. Now the soul and the spirit are certainly a part of the man, but certainly not the man; for the perfect man consists in the commingling and the union of the soul receiving the spirit of the Father, and the admixture of that fleshly nature which was moulded after the image of God. For this reason does the apostle declare, We speak wisdom among them that are perfect, 1 Corinthians 2:6 terming those persons perfect who have received the Spirit of God, and who through the Spirit of God do speak in all languages, as he used Himself also to speak. In like manner we do also hear many brethren in the Church, who possess prophetic gifts, and who through the Spirit speak all kinds of languages, and bring to light for the general benefit the hidden things of men, and declare the mysteries of God, whom also the apostle terms spiritual, they being spiritual because they partake of the Spirit, and not because their flesh has been stripped off and taken away, and because they have become purely spiritual. ." - Against Heresies", Book V, ch vi.

TERTULLIAN – 160-225

“Let Marcion then exhibit, as gifts of his god, some prophets, such as have not spoken by human sense, but with the Spirit of God, such as have both predicted things to come, and have made manifest the secrets of the heart; 1 Corinthians 14:25 let him produce a psalm, a vision, a prayer 1 Corinthians 14:26 — only let it be by the Spirit, in an ecstasy, that is, in a rapture, whenever an interpretation of tongues has occurred to him; let him show to me also, that any woman of boastful tongue in his community has ever prophesied from among those specially holy sisters of his. Now all these signs (of spiritual gifts) are forthcoming from my side without any difficulty, and they agree, too, with the rules, and the dispensations, and the instructions of the Creator; therefore without doubt the Christ, and the Spirit, and the apostle, belong severally to my God. Here, then, is my frank avowal for any one who cares to require it.” - Against Marcion, Book V, ch. Viii

ORIGEN – 185-254

“And there are still preserved among Christians traces of that Holy Spirit which appeared in the form of a dove. They expel evil spirits, and perform many cures, and foresee certain events, according to the will of the Logos.” - Contra Celsum, Book I, ch. 46

AUGUSTINE – 354-430

"The miracle which was wrought at Milan when I was there, and by which a blind man was restored to sight, could come to the knowledge of many; for not only is the city a large one, but also the emperor was there at the time, and the occurrence was witnessed by an immense concourse of people that had gathered to the bodies of the martyrs Protasius and Gervasius, which had long lain concealed and unknown, but were now made known to the bishop Ambrose in a dream, and discovered by him. By virtue of these remains the darkness of that blind man was scattered, and he saw the light of day... What am I to do? I am so pressed by the promise of finishing this work, that I cannot record all the miracles I know; and doubtless several of our adherents, when they read what I have narrated, will regret that I have omitted so many which they, as well as I, certainly know. Even now I beg these persons to excuse me, and to consider how long it would take me to relate all those miracles, which the necessity of finishing the work I have undertaken forces me to omit. For were I to be silent of all others, and to record exclusively the miracles of healing which were wrought in the district of Calama and of Hippo by means of this martyr— I mean the most glorious Stephen — they would fill many volumes; and yet all even of these could not be collected, but only those of which narratives have been written for public recital. For when I saw, in our own times, frequent signs of the presence of divine powers similar to those which had been given of old, I desired that narratives might be written, judging that the multitude should not remain ignorant of these things... In the same city of Carthage lived Innocentia, a very devout woman of the highest rank in the state. She had cancer in one of her breasts, a disease which, as physicians say, is incurable. Ordinarily, therefore, they either amputate, and so separate from the body the member on which the disease has seized, or, that the patient's life may be prolonged a little, though death is inevitable even if somewhat delayed, they abandon all remedies, following, as they say, the advice of Hippocrates. This the lady we speak of had been advised to by a skillful physician, who was intimate with her family; and she betook herself to God alone by prayer. On the approach of Easter, she was instructed in a dream to wait for the first woman that came out from the baptistery after being baptized, and to ask her to make the sign of Christ upon her sore. She did so, and was immediately cured... An old comedian of Curubis was cured at baptism not only of paralysis, but also of hernia, and, being delivered from both afflictions, came up out of the font of regeneration as if he had had nothing wrong with his body. Who outside of Curubis knows of this, or who but a very few who might hear it elsewhere? But we, when we heard of it, made the man come to Carthage, by order of the holy bishop Aurelius, although we had already ascertained the fact on the information of persons whose word we could not doubt... I know that a young woman of Hippo was immediately dispossessed of a devil, on anointing herself with oil, mixed with the tears of the prebsyter who had been praying for her. I know also that a bishop once prayed for a demoniac young man whom he never saw, and that he was cured on the spot." - City of God, Book 22, ch. 8

CYRIL OF JERUSALEM - 313-386

“If you believe, you shall not only receive remission of sins, but also do things which pass man's power. receivest now remission of thy sins, and the gifts of the King's spiritual bounty. And may thou be worthy of the gift of prophecy also!” - Catechetical Lectures, 17:37

THEODORET OF CYRUS d. 466

"To another the interpretation of words" (1 Corinthians 12:10). This also was a spiritual gift. For often a person who knew only the Greek language, after discoursing with another in the language of Scythia and Thrace, brought an interpretation to the hearers. 16 "For one who speaks in a tongue, speaks not to people, but to God: for no one hears. But in the Spirit he speaks mysteries" (1 Corinthians 14:2) .... For it was given to preachers, because of the diverse languages of people, so that one who was going to the people of India might bring the divine preaching in the language used by them. And again, when discoursing with Persians, and with· Scythians, and Romans, and Egyptians, they would preach the evangelical doctrine in the languages used by each” - Commentary on 1 Corinthians

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're a Roman Catholic and believe tradition is equal to scripture, you'll be interested in what some extant writings say.

I don't hold any of the person's you quote at the same level as the Apostles. In fact, I am not convinced that Origen was even saved. Using claimed experience as a reason for doctrine is dangerous.

What does scripture share?

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strange that they seemed to be waning during time of the Apostles, as Paul lost gift to heal, and Hebrews seems to indicate Apostles did miracles and signs, but not them!

4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Augustine was also a doubter at first, and then a full convert!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The sign gifts were given for a specific season, to the Apostles themselves!

6. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    so what all these Church fathers witnesed for themselves, first-hand, are all fake, or they are mistaken, or maybe lying? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of the above? Same way that many claim so many miracles being done today, so many healings, and yet cannot produce any confirmed case?​

8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you will note that these guys are not Pentecostals, or even lean that way. Augustine reports first hand terstimony, as do the others. These cases were confirmed. You have no reason to question their truthfullness

• Like Like x 1
  9. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's actually only a few writings from a few people of the era. Like us, they are products of their cultures biases and superstitions. I do not take their writings as inerrant or equal to the Bible.
    That being said, I am not a cessesionist. I do not see the Bible telling us that the sign gifts have ceased and I do not believe prophetic utterance has to be canonized at the same level as scripture. To prophecy is to forth-tell, thus sayeth the Lord. When I express the scripture and speak it into a situation, I prophesy to that person what God tells them. There are person's in the church with that gift of discernment and a correct word from scripture given for that moment. In that moment it is prophetic in nature, but it is not foretelling events, only speaking scripture into an event.
    I have personally witnessed God heal my son by directly answering my wife and my prayer for healing when the doctors had no clue as to why he was dying. In that outcry of prayer, Jesus willed my son to be immediately healed with no other treatment needed.
    As for tongues being given to saints today...I have no direct experience. God may give a gift to a brother or sister in a place where the gospel has never been spoken and no interpreter is available. If so, it would be extremely rare.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not not say the Lord cannot still heal today, nor do any miracles, but what passes as such in many instances is fake, and that none today have been gifted as the Apostles were to do such!

11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you say fake when you don't have any evidence to support your claim? Just because you don't believe doesn't make it false

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am speaking here of the Benny Hinns and oral Roberts types, as many claims to heal, and yet real medical evidence of such extremely rare!

13. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree but you cannot dismiss the testimony of the early church fathers

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are Baptists, correct?