1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gitmo to Close Within A Year

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Gitmo to Close Within a Year: Obama to Sign Order Tomorrow

The Obamanites are fools to do this! It is a shameful act not to continue holding these prisoners indefinitely and to proceed with prosecuting them by military tribunal as the unlawful enemy combatants they are. It is a slap in the face to those who've suffered at the hands of these terrorists and to those that have been fighting against them. It reflects Obama's level of inexperience and poor judgment. It confirms within days just what kind of ridiculous "changes" we're going to see in the coming years.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is fantastic news! I am glad that President Obama is already beginning to repair the image of the United States and is upholding our ideals once again for all the world to see. :thumbs:

3. targus

targus New Member

Ken, what do you think that we should do with the detainees?

Where should we send them?

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the article: " Earlier this month on "This Week," Obama outlined for George Stephanopoulos how difficult the closure would be: "I think it's going to take some time and our legal teams are working in consultation with our national security apparatus as we speak to help design exactly what we need to do. But I don't want to be ambiguous about this. We are going to close Guantanamo and we are going to make sure that the procedures we set up are ones that abide by our Constitution." "

Apparently, there will be about a year to make a determination on this. Once a determination is made feel free to ask me what I think about it.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, isn't it fantastic that prisoners who have been released have been full rehabilitated and no longer a threat to those who desire true freedom.
    For those of you who dont believe Ken and myself, check this link

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PS I am willing to listen to facts

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I'll donate some money to open a half-way house for them...

Half-way between Gitmo and Iraq ought to be about right.

That's in the middle of the ocean, you say?

Hope they can swim!!:tongue3:

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say you have your facts right:thumbsup:

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

People knew it and yet voted for him. They will get more than they wished for like open homosexuality in the military. That will result in fewer volunteers and possibly a return to the draft.

10. OldRegular

You mean we will return to a wimp nation like we were under Carter and Clinton and get a military full of sexual perverts as a bonus.

#10 OldRegular, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
  11. OldRegular

Sounds good to me. :thumbs:

12. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Great let's send them to your house Ken! :thumbsup: You could start a half way house for terrorists or should we say "assumed" terrorists. Just make sure it's up to par so they can pray to mecca and eat the right diet. Don't forget your gloves Ken when touching their Koran, I think Costco has a good price for cases of gloves.

13. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Finally, we will quit holding people indefinitely with no charges, no visitation, and no access to courts or counsel.

14. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Are there some detainees that you haven't been able to visit? It must be a bummer. Maybe you can visit them at Ken's place. He might need some help, it might get a bit overwhelming. :laugh:

15. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

We've been doing that a long long time for our citizens and residents. We just don't think it's smart to do that with unlawful enemy combatants captured in war. We always seemed to understand that in the past but for some reason we've now confused civil law, criminal law, and the laws of war. We've lost our ability to make common sense judgments. Now we wish to grant the rights of citizenship to terrorist bent on destroying us. It's a real shame!

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's your idea, Dragoon68? Just line them all up and shoot them without a trial? Hold them for the next 40-50 years of their natural lives without a trial?

Normally, enemy combatants are released when a war ends. How does a war against terrorism ever reach a conclusion? A person can commit an act of terror anytime, anywhere.

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I agree, but look on the bright side: they are going to find out how hard/impossible it is to put these prisoners anywhere but Gitmo. Many of the same people who demanded it be closed will get angry if Mr. Obama tries to put one of the prisoners in their state pen. I predict a great big mess.

18. targus

targus New Member

I am not asking you if you agree with where the Obama administration is proposing to put them...

I am asking you where you think they should put them.

I take it that you personally have no idea.

But you do have an opinion about closing Gitmo.

So you formed an opinion without thought or information?

19. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I agree with Ken. Closing Gitmo is great news! It is not American to hold someone indefinitely without any chance of even defending themselves.

These people should be charged or let go!

20. targus

targus New Member

Let go to where?