1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "given" is inclusive of "draw" in John 6

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by The Biblicist, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is not that we do not understand how you feel. It is that you are totally incapable of defending your position intelligently and capably. That is the problem.

I placed before you an example you admit that totally destroys your whole position and yet you have no intelligent capable response. God's will is under the coersion of his nature and it is IMPOSSIBLE for HIs will to choose contrary to His nature and if God is OMNIPOTENT are you really suggesting a creature who is not omnipotent is yet capable of exercising his will contrary to his own nature when God cannot do it??? We have heard you nonsense, ridicule, bloviating but do you have any intelligent response?

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

#203 The Biblicist, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
  4. Inspector Javert

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

7. Inspector Javert

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

If man is controlled by his nature, then man would ALWAYS choose to do the worst possible thing he can do. The fact that he does not shows that man has the ability to choose good.

The scriptures themselves show this;

Isa 7:16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

And Jesus implied that he could lie.

Jhn 8:55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.

Jesus never lied, he never committed any sin, but he implied he was ABLE to do so.

So Biblicist is all wet and does not understand scripture. Men are able to do good, and Jesus was able to do evil. Otherwise it would be nonsensical to tempt him, it would be utterly meaningless.

#209 Winman, Feb 1, 2014
  10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

That is not true simply because man is not omnipotent AND because God controls circumstances. Circumstances limit options. In addition to circumstances, their are other factors that limit man from doing the worst. There are fear factors that act as inhibator's such as social response, the law of reaping what you sow, etc. Moreover, doing the worst thing possible is not always the best option for pure selfishness. So your argument is wrong on many fronts.

No, I have just shown your whole rationale does not consider all factors and so this is not a rational conclusion. It is not a Biblical conclusion as the Bible repeatedly over and over again make UNIVERSAL DENIALS of the very thing you are asserting.

Notice, the text does not say "before the child shall know how to CHOOSE EVIL and refuse the good." However, that is what would be required of this verse to support your interpetation.

There is not even a hint of implication that he could lie in this verse but an absolute explcit denial to the contrary. The only way he could be a liar like them is "if" this was possible but he clearly denies it with the words "BUT I know him, and KEEP his saying."

Why not keep this conversation out of the gutter and just exchange ideas? Every argument you give above has been shown to be based upon lack of facts, misinterpretation of scriptures and outright contradiction to repeated universal statements to the contrary. Such are the facts.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh sure, God can prevent any man from sinning any time he chooses, that is not the point.

The point is, if the man is controlled by his nature, he would ALWAYS choose the most evil thing he could do. The fact that men do not choose to do the worst thing they can do proves they are not controlled by their nature, but they themselves determine what their nature is.

Oh, I am sure in your mind you believe you have provided invincible evidence, but you are in a world of your own. You have done no such thing. Anybody can look around and see that men do not always choose the worst thing they can do. You are living in a fantasy world of your own creation.

The verse is simply showing that children are not born knowing good from evil, and this is why a little child cannot be guilty of sin. But the fact is, once a child is old enough to understand between good and evil, they are completely able to choose good and do so all the time. They do not all kill their little sister.

Sure there is, Jesus said, and "IF" I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you. If Jesus could not lie, it would be a lie to suggest it is even possible. The word "IF" denotes option and possibility.

You are all wet, I call a spade a spade. Everybody in the world except Calvinists can see men can choose good. Actually, even Calvinists admit that men are not as bad as they could be, which is saying they can be "better" or "good". Like I said, you didn't kill your family when you were a kid, but you had the ability to do so. If you were controlled by a totally depraved nature, you would have killed them.

Actually, your parents would have killed you first. :laugh:

12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are repeating absolute falsehoods again! Man does not control his circumstances and would have to do so for him to always carry out the worst choices. There are consequences that the most evil of men fear (government, social, other men's evil responses, law, etc) which restrain them. Pure selfishness is not always served by doing the worst. You cannot simply ignore these facts and hope they go away but that is what you are trying to do and what you must do to make your irrational argument to be rationale.

Is that why you cannot respond to the problems I presented to your assertion? Is that why you ignore the problems placed in front of you?

This scripture proves they can choose evil and refuse good even if they are not capable yet of discerning which is which. Tags don't change what something is by its very nature. The nature of every infant is as self-centered as it comes and the entire young life must be taught by parents and circumstances to CONTROL its appetites and actions.

First, the word "if" does not always suggest something is possible but in many cases demands it is not possible. For example, "If I go away, I willl return" does not infer he might not go away. For example, "If it were not so, I would have told you" does not infer it might not be so, but in each of these cases the word "if" means "Since" and that is what it means in this text.

Furthermore, this is a third conditional class clause in the Greek text according to A.T. Robertson:

And if I should say (καν ειπω). Third-class condition (concession), "even if I say," with και εαν (καν) and second aorist active subjunctive. "Suppose I say."

It does not suggest the possibility but only provides a hypothetical argument which is contrary to fact.

Your probelm is that "everbody in the world" is not the final authority for determining whether this is true or false. The Word of God repeatedly with universal language explicitly repudiates you and the world. Finally, good is not defined by God according to "everybody in the world" but according to His own definition of "good" which he judges by the roots of motive in the heart behind whatever you choose to think, say or do.

However, let the reader look at your authority for your doctrine ("the world") rather than the Word of God.

If I had a body that was mature to match my evil nature not only I would have killed my parents but so would every child ever born and mankind would have self-anihilated. That is why infants come in small packages and why older more mature self-controlled parents have children.

#212 The Biblicist, Feb 1, 2014
  13. Winman

Winman Active Member

What a bunch of baloney. If man is controlled by his nature, he is going to do the worst thing he can do every time, just like the lion is going to choose the meat over grass.

You are demonstrating how phony Calvinism is. You guys talk out of both sides of your mouth all the time. You will come here and insist men cannot choose to listen to the gospel or believe it, even when men are threatened with eternal death by God, but now you tell us these same evil men are going to obey the speed limit because they are afraid of getting a ticket. :laugh:

You guys are full of it, you constantly move the goalposts so that you always come out on top. The only ones fooled by this are you Calvinists yourselves.

If men are afraid of going to jail and so do not choose to kill other people, they can also be afraid of God and choose to trust Christ.

What a laugh, I am ignoring problems? Now that is funny.

Nonsense. You think you can simply interpret scripture any way you want don't you?

Here we go again, Calvinism redefining words. What a shocker! :laugh:

Right. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry I used the word "everybody", I should have remembered that means "the elect only" to you. It is difficult to talk to you Calvinists because you have different definitions for words than MOST people. (I almost said "everybody else" there)

I am glad to see that you admit that if we truly were enslaved to our nature we would all be the worst we could be and would have annihilated ourselves many centuries ago.

The fact we have not PROVES man is not compelled to do evil and has the ability to choose good.

#213 Winman, Feb 1, 2014
  14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are making yourself look very foolish. Any intelligent reader fully comprehends that omnipotence is essential for the worst choice and action to be accomplished. Mutual evil is a restraint as one mans worst choice and action may be met by another equally worst choice and action by other evil men - thus fear of retribution does in fact restrain evil. Limitations due to circumctance restrains the worst desires and actions. Pure selfishness prevents this as the worst possible choices and actions. Government, armies, police, war restrains the worst of choices and actions. If you are not capable of understanding these restraints are real and effective that make your argument completely foolish, then no one can help you as I have spelled it out three times now and not one time have you even attempted to address a single item but simply repeated your irrational statement and then provided nothing else but ridicule.

That is simply not true and you know it. We believe that large numbers of mankind every day EXTERNALLY hear, MENTALLY are convinced, and VOLITIONALLY choose to come to Christ but nevertheless are no more genuinely saved after they choose to come to Christ as they were before they come to Christ. This is the experience of all tares, false professors and those identified as "his disciples" in John 6:64 who were NEVER drawn by the Father as Jesus defines drawing in John 6:44-45.

Again, no substantive response only ridicule and personal attack.

Coming to Christ out of fear of hell is not the basis for true salvation as coming to Christ due to hunger for bread and fish is not the basis for true salvation. There must be a condition of true "repentance" logically preceding faith or else it is a false profession. Repentance is turning because God is turning you from sin to righteousness from darkness to light and that is impossible apart from God giving a new heart and spirit.

Again, I provide substantive reasons, grammar and your only response is ridicule. Don't you realize how this makes you look to any intelligent reader??? At least attempt to address the reasons I give and show why they are either wrong and/or unreasonable.

Unlike adults infants have not learned any restraints except their physical limitations. Learning to restrain/control yourself comes by consequences alone. So really this is an admission by you of universal depravity beginning from the womb.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Any intelligent reader can see how ridiculous and contradictory your arguments are.

Men can choose good and do so all the time. If men can choose to do good because they are threatened with jail or prison, they could certainly choose good if they were threatened with hell.

Again, you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Calvinists often teach that men cannot be willing to hear or listen to the gospel or choose Christ unless they are regenerated. Now you are directly contradicting your own self.

And well deserved. You guys think people are stupid, you insult people's intelligence. The only ones fooled are Calvinists themselves.

Of course it is, or else God would not warn people of hell.

Jud 23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Mat 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

You provide a bunch of nonsensical double-talk.

You have already admitted that if a baby was physically mature enough he would kill his family. Therefore you agree that if man was truly enslaved to his sin nature he would be the very worst he could be at all times.

The fact that men are not the worst they can be shows they are not enslaved to their nature and that your view is a complete fallacy.

No amount of double-talk is going to make your false view correct. You are only fooling yourself.

16. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

If that is so, then why can't you point out the contradictions rather than just making unproven assertions and repeating the same line?????

If that is so, then why can't you point out how I am speaking out of both sides of my mouth rather than making unsupported accusations?

You are only demonstrating your own misunderstanding of our position. We have never denied the GENERAL call brings in bad fish who are more than willing to embrace the gospel for a variety of reasons, all of which are wrong.

Coming wrath can be used to get our attention to what the real reason is for that wrath which is our sin. No amount of fear of hell can acheive salvation or obtain salvation or be the proper cause for coming to Christ as the greater issue is the cause for the coming wrath which is our sins. Jesus said "repent or perish" (Lk. 13:3) as there is no salvation for the unrepentant regardless how much they fear hell or come to Christ to escape hell.

You are selective in your reading. However, I will repeat it again. Infants are without SELF-CONTROL which is only learned by consequences. Infants anger and selfishness is controlled by things greater than themselves - restraints of a weak and small body; larger parents able to overrule their anger and selfishness. So, babies are not able to carry out their worst desires because they are not omnipotent and because there are restraints placed around them. If no such restraints were in place, then yes they would kill parents and sibblings alike.

The same is true for adults. They are not omnipotent. Trial and error has taught them self-control due to consequences, restraints, fears. So once again you seem not able to comprehend these simple factors that completely destroy your theory.

The majority of your posts are composed of ridicule without any substantive responses and readers can see this. Why not drop the ridicule and empty assertions and provide some substantive responses?

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am not going to keep arguing with you. When it comes to being obstinate and stubborn, you beat me hands down (and everyone else for that matter).

Your debate technique is simply to talk your opponent to death.

Folks can easily see who is the double-talker.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to super-qualify that one!
    At your age you have had to run into some people who are so defiant that the notion of Hell doesn't scare them at all. These individuals would then go on to even more perversity of speech regarding Hell and their eternal torment.

The radical corruption of humanity doesn't mean that they do the worst sins all the time.It means that they are are affected by sin in their whole being --it affects their whole being.

19. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

All scripture is to believers to do the great commission not to tell them some can't come. The scripture is not to teach what a unbeliever can't do, but what a believer is to do.

If they do not hear, they can not be drawn. They can not be given if they have nothing to go to.

I praise God for the one who brings the good news, if people do not believe it is on them not me, not God.

I still believe and always will believe that God does not want any to die but rather them to repent and live. If they do not repent they will not live and they will die in their sins.

I am believer and see that scripture, His word is for me to believe in.

Peter got it right, because he was a believer, where shall I go you have the words of eternal life. The crowd did what they were always doing who left they did not listen and learn they were following the crowd not drawn by the Father for they did not listen and learn as Peter did.

Peter at the time did not understand everything, but he listened and learned and let God the Father through the words of Jesus change who he was into the person God wanted him to be.

#219 psalms109:31, Feb 1, 2014
  20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How long have you believed in the sovereignty of man Winman?If people have the kind of power you so vociferously argue --why do they need God?

Not as bad does not = good. Richard Nixon was not as bad as Obama does not mean that Nixon was good.

And the words 'good' and 'better' are not synonyms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.