1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Global University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone ever heard of Global University?

I don't like their name. They are the result of "a merger between ICI University and Berean University". They are accredited by "the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council", a organization I have never heard of. On their website, DETC claims:

"the Secretary of Education has officially recognized DETC since 1959 and by the Council for Higher Education and its predecessors since 1975."
    http://www.detc.org/frequentlyQust.html#stu

Does anyone know anything about this school at all?

https://www.globaluniversity.edu/

2. UZThD

UZThD New Member

How CAN it be a good school???

It doesn't offer a bunch of easy/quicky docs in various areas. How atypical! [​IMG]

It requires serious prereqs to do grad study like a BA with a high GPA from an accredited school! How demanding [​IMG]

It employs a faculty who actually have accredited degrees. How novel [​IMG]

AND ( OH NO!!! ) it is accredited by a REAL accreditor!! How unusual for this place [​IMG]

So, how CAN it be agood school???

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

From what I can see, this is no Andersonville, Bethany, or Covington, offering all kinds of degrees through doctorates of a variety of flavors with a faculty comprised primarily of teachers whose terminal degrees come from the institution at which they teach.

The credentials of the faculty are pretty impressive, and the accredition is genuine. DETC is a legitimate accrediting agency--the fact that it is recognized by USDE and CHEA assures that.

That noted, I know nothing about the theological persuasion of Global. I see several faculty members who have degrees from Assemblies of God and Church of God institutions. That leads me to assume that the university may be Pentecostal/Charismatic in its leanings, but a cursory examination of its graduate catalog did not really indicate that. It's an issue you would want to investigate.

Concerning its accreditation, though, it's genuine.

Where are you in NC? Would driving to SEBTS be too far?

Bill

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

Bill G.,

I see you posted while I was looking at the catalog and writing my post. Do you know of any theological issues, or would you be concerned about that?

Bill

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southeastern is about 2 hours away. I have looked at SEBTS but I don't see any programs there that interest me that much (However I have the up most respect for that school and its faculty). They do have a PhD (New Testament) there that I may consider one day. At this time I am really looking for a second MA degree, a MA-New Testament program to be exact. I like the program at Regent, and that is probably where I will end up. I also like the program at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, but I don't think I will make a move that far from home. Both Regent and Global are pentecostal in their theology, but I don't have any major differences with them. Any differences are small enough for me to "look over". I am just looking for a good, solid, academic, MA-New Testament program. Distance learning, on campus is not an issue this time around. I am finishing my MA in Religion from Liberty through distance learning. Thats fine, but I really want to get to a campus so I can have the interaction with other students that I don't get through distance learning (no matter how good the program from a academic stand point).

I have often wished SEBTS would offer a New Testament graduate degree of some sort. If they did, I would jump at the chance.

Martin.

6. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

I don't know about Global's doctrinal statement. Haven't read it. Could be an issue.

IMO one's BA/masters in Bible/Theology is generally best done at a school that reflects one's own doctrine [although my MA in Theology is from Point Loma Nazarene and my convictions more closely are that of Conservative Baptist]. The BA and lower masters as MA/MDiv can be laying foundations and molding opinions, therefore, IMO, those studies probably should be done in schools theologically approximating one's denominational distinctives.

But then the higher masters , the ThM, and the doc [which Global doesn't offer anyway] IMO might be well doable at a school which is not necessarily teaching exactly according to one's belief system. By that time exposure to other views by those who hold them might be profitable, academically speaking.

7. Broadus

Broadus Member

===

I don't know about Global's doctrinal statement. Haven't read it. Could be an issue.

IMO one's BA/masters in Bible/Theology is generally best done at a school that reflects one's own doctrine [although my MA in Theology is from Point Loma Nazarene and my convictions more closely are that of Conservative Baptist]. The BA and lower masters as MA/MDiv can be laying foundations and molding opinions, therefore, IMO, those studies probably should be done in schools theologically approximating one's denominational distinctives.

But then the higher masters , the ThM, and the doc [which Global doesn't offer anyway] IMO might be well doable at a school which is not necessarily teaching exactly according to one's belief system. By that time exposure to other views by those who hold them might be profitable, academically speaking.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I agree. It appears that Global is theologically Pentacostal, in view of such statements as "The General Presbytery of the Assemblies of God recently approved major changes to the Berean School of the Bible Ministerial Studies Program. These courses will not be available immediately—they will be phased in one ministerial level at a time (Certified, Licensed, and Ordained). The process will be completed within approximately three years" and "More than 1/3 of the ministers in the Assemblies of God (U.S.) have received their ministerial preparation through Berean School of the Bible. But these courses are not limited to those serving in public ministry. They are ideal for personal enrichment, home Bible studies, and midweek Bible studies": http://www.globaluniversity.edu/student_info/level3/bsb/bsb.cfm .

Still, the university is legitimately accredited with a faculty whose members have unquestionable training, which is more than many Baptist and other evangelical DE institutions can say.

As a Baptist, though, I would get my master's elsewhere.

Bill

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

I doubt we'll see SBC seminaries offer MA's in biblical areas since they emphasize the MDiv, and the MDiv is usually pre-requisite to the PhD at Southern Baptist seminaries.

Have you thought about doing an MDiv at SEBTS, using your electives in NT studies, and then pursuing a PhD in NT? Your MAR hours should all be accepted toward the MDiv.

BTW, I had several current SEBTS professors when I did extension MDiv work in Georgia before moving to Kentucky to finish the MDiv and do the PhD at SBTS. I enjoyed them immensely. Dr. Maurice Robinson was my faculty advisor when I did a DMin at Luther Rice in the late '80's/early 90's, and Dr. Danny Akin, now president of SEBTS, led a PhD seminar I took at Southern when he was VP of Academic Administration and dean of the School of Theology.

I hope you the best as you seek to determine where to study next.

Bill

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I doubt we'll see SBC seminaries offer MA's in biblical areas since they emphasize the MDiv, and the MDiv is usually pre-requisite to the PhD at Southern Baptist seminaries."

==Yes, I agree. I think that is mainly because they focus on ministry careers(which is great) and not so much on the academic careers. Though I am aware that a MDiv. can offer both.

"Have you thought about doing an MDiv at SEBTS, using your electives in NT studies, and then pursuing a PhD in NT? Your MAR hours should all be accepted toward the MDiv."

==Yes, and it is still possible that I could go that route. Like I said, right now I am just at the point where I need to start looking around. I am leaning towards Regent's MA/NT because it has an academic focus and prepares the student for teaching, and the PhD(even at SEBTS as long as the PhD is in New Testament, and my grades are high enough, which should not be a problem). However I am only leaning in that direction.
    Also, the MA-New Testament program is more directly related to my field of study (New Testament backgrounds, historical Jesus, etc). That is why I have really focused on the MA programs. However I have not ruled out a MDiv program at Southeastern, Liberty, or any place else. The MAR does directly transfer into most Baptist MDiv programs. Liberty designed the program for that purpose.

"I hope you the best as you seek to determine where to study next."

==Thank you. God Bless.