1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gluttony and drunkards

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Absolutely. We often pick and choose certains sins to elevate for "special condemnation" status.

There is no shortage of folks who hold up "God hates fags" signs. There are hardly any that hold up "God hates fat people" signs. The fact is both homosexuality and gluttony are sins. But the fact is that neither will keep you from the Kingdom any more or less than any other sin. Further, the fact remains that there is no sin that will keep a believer from the Kingdom. If that were not so, we'd all be hellbound.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely. We often pick and choose certains sins to elevate for "special condemnation" status.

There is no shortage of folks who hold up "God hates fags" signs. There are hardly any that hold up "God hates fat people" signs. The fact is both homosexuality and gluttony are sins. But the fact is that neither will keep you from the Kingdom any more or less than any other sin. Further, the fact remains that there is no sin that will keep a believer from the Kingdom. If that were not so, we'd all be hellbound.
    </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG]

3. insuranceman

insuranceman New Member

Chapter and verse please. Where in Scripture does it say gluttony is a sin?

4. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Proverbs 23:20-21

According to Proverbs being a glutton is just as bad as being a drunkard. Again, gluttony is mentioned in close context with other examples of greed, such as becoming rich by dishonest means.

Proverbs 28:6-8

It probably doesn't mean a lot to many here, but gluttony is listed among the Seven Deadly Sins.

5. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Hear is another perspective.

One reason church people tend to be overweight is their activities on Sundays. They get up and rush to church with little or no breakfast. After church they are very hungry so they pigout with a big Sunday afternoon meal. Ask any dietician and they will tell you that such practice evenually leads to becoming overweight.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not convinced about that second part. Trying to avoid a debate about the definition of "spirituality," I would say it may be spiritual to pray all night about a certain important matter; but if the next day is a work day and you may be lessening your ability to earn an honest living that day-- which is practical, not spiritual-- you probably went "to excess" in spirituality. And doing that too often may cost you a job, an important client or contract...

Another reason I am unconvinced is that people have different limits of spirituality. Some people consider themselves really "spiritual" and make a nuisance of themselves calling or visiting, wanting to know what's going on with everyone else, offering to pray with them and put their names on lists, et al et al; and then trying to dominate discussions in Bible Study with their great spiritual ideas about exactly what heaven, or judgment day, will be like, telling about their "gifts" and how they've used them.... "spirituality" can be taken to excess and get sickening, just like food and drink.

7. insuranceman

insuranceman New Member

In both passages the Hebrew word, zâlal,is translated "glutton" in Prov. 23:20-21 and "riotus" in in Prov. 28:6-8. According the Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Dictionary "zalal" means:
    1) to be worthless, be vile, be insignificant, be light

1a1) to be worthless, be insignificant
    1a2) to make light of, squander, be lavish with
    2) to shake, tremble, quake
    1a) (Niphal) to shake, quake
    The 21st century word we use for overeating is gluttony. However I find little evidence from the Hebrew that it meant overeating as we understand it today. In the context of the culture of the Bible it was not unusual to hold drunken orgies which involved eating till the point of vomiting. Thus the reason for tying drunkeness and riotus living together.
    The Bible teaches our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and yes we should not overeat. However, we should be careful about making overeating a sin like drunkeness. No where in the NT do we find gluttony or overeating in the list of the sins of those bound for destuction.(1Co 6:10) Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
    9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

That is not a fact from the bible. The fact is if you do these things you may be hellbound.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
    9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

That is not a fact from the bible. The fact is if you do these things you may be hellbound.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Uh- is verse 11 found in your Bible? Lemme' quote it for you:

I especially like the WYC here, for the tense rendering. as in "ye be hallowed (or set apart/sanctified)", showing the indefinite continuous present and the definite point in time past as well as the passive voice, in two words. And this is written to the church that is the sorriest that received any NT writings directed to a particular congregation, except for Laodecia, and the only church to be called carnal, and that four times. So apparently this sorry bunch 'in their state' :eek: [​IMG] was 'holy, in their standing'. [​IMG] [​IMG] At least, that is how I read this.
    In His grace,
    Ed

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Washed, sanctified, justified people can still commit all those sins. Washed, sanctified, justified people can miss the kingdom. Be not decieved.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
    Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
    Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
    Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

What is sanctified by the blood of the covenant, yet worthy of sorer punishment than those under Moses law? A believer who is using grace for a cloak of maliciousness, or who believes we should sin that grace may abound.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just checked the Transdimensional Metaphysical Almanac. On Feb. 27, 2006 (Earth time) a thin film of ice covered the Lake of Fire.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You're kidding, aren't you? You've never heard of the "seven deadly sins"? Selfish pride, greed, unrighteous anger, envy lust, gluttony, and sloth?

On the topic of gluttony alone, there are several scriptures pertaining to it, including Proverbs Proverbs 23, which in one verse, admonishes gorging oneself with meat, and in another place that it is better to put a knife to one's throat than to give in to gluttony.

BTW, IMO, a big error about Gluttony is to think it only pertains to food. Some people "can't have enough" toys, television, entertainment, sex, or company. Gluttony is about an excess of anything, imo.

13. mima

mima New Member

This question is most disturbing to me. While I am not a drunkard or for that matter even a drinker the part about gluttony exposes one of my Chiefs sins. I have many sins of course, but this one has been a lifelong struggle( I am 68 at this time)five ft. 11 inches and weigh 145 pounds. I realize I have been forgiven for this sin and in fact for all my sins, still the question is an unpleasant one for me to contemplate.

14. mima

mima New Member

I made a mistake in my last post. I should've said 245 pounds.

15. mnw

mnw New Member

I wonder, turning this round a little, if a recovering glutton would get as much help and support from fellow beleivers as a recovering alcoholic.

16. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I know I am a recovering glutton. I used to weigh 250 and have lost 100 pounds, but man is it ever a struggle. And its DAILY. I know it will always be a struggle, and much as I hate it, its there. God uses it to shape me, though, and as painful as it has been over my lifetime, I am thankful for the struggle. (If that makes sense, lol)
    And as for help for recovering guttons, there aint much. I do have a friend to help me be accountable, and thats about as far as it goes. Food everywhere - at church, in the teacher's lounge, - it has to come from within.

17. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I just checked the Transdimensional Metaphysical Almanac. On Feb. 27, 2006 (Earth time) a thin film of ice covered the Lake of Fire. </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG] [​IMG]

18. insuranceman

insuranceman New Member

How does one define the sin of gluttony? If the speed limit is 55 mph and I am going 56 mph I am breaking the law. I use an objective standard of a speedometer to measure my miles per hour. How much does one have to eat to commit the sin of gluttony? What is the objective standard? It cannot be just being overweight because I am pretty sure there are some skinny gluttons around. So how do I know I've committed the sin of gluttony?

19. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I know when I have. But I cant tell you when you have. Its one of those gray areas.