1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Gluttony

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, we have a new question to contemplate that seems to go beyond the original post. Evangelist I recommend you might want to start up a thread on drunkenness and I must add sins that normally rely on alcohol such as carousing. It seems we are way off topic from just gluttony.

Romans 14:21 's application would be a huge issue for just about anything we do in America though. Many people struggle with all manner of things in this country, and I guess the issue is how best do we love our Brethren in this environment. Is it best not to drink at all as not to offend some brothers and sisters? What of video games or books with magic and other occultist trappings? Do we avoid them out of both a desire for holiness and a desire to not get people into magic and occultism? Do we avoid certain sports leagues such as the NFL for having half naked women dancing in an almost erotic fashion? Really this basic verse of Romans 14:21 applies to many things in daily American life we would have to avoid.

Do we allow people to claim we are being held hostage by those with weak faith and weak willpower?

Also, where do we draw the line? Drunkenness is wrong but even getting tipsy makes one very susceptible to carousing (being loud and boisterous from alcohol and out of control in a mad dash for pleasure which may lead to sexual sin, really a Bacchanalia). Should we avoid bars as those places entice people to all manner of sins? Do we allow ourselves to drink till we are tipsy, which may entice others to sin? Do we have no more than say two servings of alcohol in a two hour span so as to avoid being even tipsy? Must we stop alcohol altogether for those of us that cannot control ourselves?

This could just go on and on and on really.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you might want to reassess your priorities. Getting worked up because someone teaches teetotalism isn't the most productive use of time, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still, thinking about my last post, it seems that what we have to do is take an honest look at what causes people to stumble, then proceed from there. If that means teetotalism regarding many things in American culture, then I guess that is the cost of having Brethren who are young in the Lord and in need of encouragement. I could of course be wrong.

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I keep it to myself at home. I do not believe the Bible teaches prohibition from alcohol as what many IFB believe and personally enjoy a Mikes on occasion at home.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe the Bible teaches that. What the Bible does teach however is to abstain from a drink in front of a brother if it causes him to stumble and fall into sin.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No the very use of my time is to be out witnessing, open air preaching and also writing letters. However on occasion I like to read books and talk about alcohol because it interests me.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There comes a time when society becomes out of control (as seems in local situations - inner city).
    God often sends calamity and disaster to jolt humanity out of their sleep of godlessness.

The basic question IMO is why do people need alcohol, drugs and certain other activities to achieve a change of consciousness?

People need to know that the rebirth and being filled with the Spirit is the ultimate in a mind altering experience.

Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Luke 14:21 ... Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.

HankD

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those that cannot control themselves need to not drink alcohol and need to stay far WY from it. However not all are like this. I for example can control myself and enjoy a drink here and again.

9. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    New avatar suggestion:

IMG_0521.JPG

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist