1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God and time

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by evenifigoalone, Feb 6, 2020.

1. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So in C. S. Lewis' Mere Christianity, he puts forth that God is a being that exists outside of time. What does this mean? Does God observe all of humanity and it's history all at once? This wouldn't make sense, because then that would also mean that to God, we're already all in heaven and spending eternity there?
    Or when we finally arrive in Heaven to spend an eternity there, will we then be removed from the constraints of time?

• Like Like x 1
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    others before have come before you and attempted to "figure out" GOD with similarly frustrating results.

NIV Ecclesiastes 8:17 then I saw all that God has done. No one can comprehend what goes on under the sun. Despite all his efforts to search it out, man cannot discover its meaning. Even if a wise man claims he knows, he cannot really comprehend it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, it makes complete sense. For God, time IS suspended, it is us here on earth who are caught in the time warp of now. That is why to orthodox Christian believers Christ can be truly present in the Holy Eucharist at every Mass. Time is suspended for Him and He can be right here now with us as He was on that day on Calvary. What more sensible thing for the believing Christian could there be but being at the foot of the Cross, the most momentous thing that ever happened in all of history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    of course Adonia - Christ being the second person of the Holy Trinity, He is omnipresent, although my view of the real presence is a fulfillment of

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

In any event, Christ in His atonement tore through the veil for us and made access possible to the holy place where we by faith are in His presence face-to-face.

1 John 1
    3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God exists in and outside of time. God created all there is (Genesis 1:1; Hebrews 1:2). The laws of physics were created by Him as well. While God is not bound to time, He works within it as a way to interact with His creation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I am has sent me to you.’”

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

The phrase "I Am" indicates that God exists outside of time.

Theologian, Lewis Sperry Chafer, in his 7 volume set on systematic theology, likens God to an observation of a parade weaving through a downtown and the person above sees the beginning, end and everything in the middle happening all at once.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he explained it as God being in the eternal now, as everything happens at "samrtime"for Him!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    jesus not in the mass, as Hebrews make clear that his sacrifice was a once and forever one time thing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CS lewis saw God as existing in the Eternal Now, similar to how Chafer did!

10. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since God created time, how can the Creator be bound by something that He created?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are not going to spend eternity in heaven, we will spend it on a new Earth.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  12. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only the 144,000 go to heaven.

13. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Might help to think of it like a vinyl record. You can hold outside of time. Your soul like a needle on the present moment of the record. God built the Record and the needle too.

Far as pondering God's experience. thats like 3 dimension understanding. Like he understands even your point of view. He knows everything.

Ergo God knows exactly what its like to be you right now at any moment. Even know your experience in a greater first hand then you do. Literally has to know what its like to only know what you know, so he's been there.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We cannot grasp eternal in an ontological sense. It is beyond us.

As an illustration - my dog likes toast and knows the bread goes in the toaster and pops up a bit later.... but I do not believe it is possible to explain how a toaster works to my dog because it is beyond him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HE decreed it so ...

16. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do we find that decree?

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A long time ago :Biggrin.

18. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Time is just another dimension of the physical universe, not that different from length, width, and height.

God created it, so He is beyond it.

As far as the final state, with the New Jerusalem coming seemingly to this (remade) world, I can't say what role time will play at that point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not only how a toaster works. God can teach a Dog to be the best doctor on earth.

So maybe "not yet".

I think omnipotence and omniscience is impressive to God as video games to us.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: