1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God Bless America!

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While never having declared itself a Christian nation, America is a country founded on the idea of freedom, self governance and biblical principles. We have always given God the credit for our blessings and have been a beacon of light in the world providing aid when needed, assistance, a place to come for others who seek the same thing we do, and the gospel. We have not been a perfect country as it is made up of imperfect people. I ask who would want their own imperfect past to be what they are solely remembered for? It would then be hypocritical to do the same to others and to our country as a whole. Let us live in freedom that allows us to right our wrongs, love our neighbors, seek our God, and always remember from whom our blessing truly come from. God Bless America!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If possible, I would have given this post a hundred "WINNER"s!!
    In addition, I find it hard to believe some Christians feel that "if you are a Christian, you cannot be patriotic, or conversely, if you love your country you are not putting Christ first "!! False premise - one does NOT preclude the other!!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am thankful we live in a country where we have the freedom to worship.
    I know some say that the govt is trying to control our churches by being taxed exempt.
    Of course, there are some rules we must follow - fire exits, safety inspections, ect.
    But overall, we have a lot of freedom - freedom that many countries do not have.
    Think China, North Korea, ect.
    I proudly have the USA flag in our church.

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture tells us the whole world (politically and religiously) will follow the anti-christ. That includes the U.S. You will not be able to buy or sell (engage in commerce) without the mark of the beast.

Our churches have organized as legal entities of the state. Almost all are considered "corporations of the state of...." in order to get a tax exempt status.

Already there are anti-discrimination laws in place for all "corporations of the state". Most states give exemptions for churches in certain matters. That means lawmakers can take those exemptions away just as easily.

Just look at the lawsuits against Christian businesses that won't participate in in certain activities they believe violate their Christian beliefs.

I believe the active political attacks on Christianity in this country will continue in a relentless onslaught until the end of days.

I am thankful to God I live in the USA. But I consider myself an alien in a strange land and I long for the freedom of worship we will experience in heaven

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont know about other Commonwealths/States - but here in NY - our church is NOT Inc - yet we are still tax exempt.

Actually a good reason to be inc - is so the pastor and/or officers can not be held liable for any legal action. (thus the reason a corp is a "person")

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the moment, I feel like Obama's pastor J. Wright, but I do so for different reasons. The evil swine attacking Trump and the gutless RINOS letting it happen have me leaning much more toward God d..n America instead of God Bless America. We have become a nation of leftist liberal perverts. Why should God bless this damnable nation? We as a nation profane the name of God. We rebel against His ways and His commands. We choose evil. Why should He bless this rebellious nation that has kicked Him out of everything?

#6 Reynolds, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Think NINEVEH

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the argument... file those papers and put yourself under the authority of the state, so that the state laws protect you from lawsuits.

Until the lawmakers change the laws and if you don't comply, or compromise your beliefs to comply so you are in line with the state, then those laws condemn you.

When go to a secular court and argue you are a church, the judge can look you in the eye and legally say, "no, you are a corporation of the state and governed by state law."

9. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are more like Sodom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A church doesn't need to file for corporation to be a church or gain tax exempt status. If a church loses its corporation status it is still legally a church.

11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, the corporate umbrella is for liability purposes only. Our church did not incorporate until we bought a bus.

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, but when a church legally files papers to become a corporation of the state they are putting the fellowship at the mercy of state lawmakers.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No they are not.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Canadyjd, Do you have an example of that ever happening?

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Missouri Baptist Convention has been fighting in secular court for nearly 20 years for the permission from the state to have possession of their own properties.

Briefly, when conservatives began to assert themselves in the convention, trustees of several properties violated their charters of incorporation and decided to become self appointing, rather than allow the convention to appoint the trustees.

The trustees control the property as representatives of Missouri Baptists who paid for them. These properties are worth tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions. These trustees, my understanding, are no longer a part of MO Baptist Convention, but have taken the property and aligned with another group.

The convention went into secular court to have the right to run their own properties. They have spent millions of dollars and, as far as I can see, are no closer to regaining control of those properties.

It is not a big leap, imho, to see the kind of treatment evangelical churches (corporations of the state) are going to receive in court when a g*y couple sues because they wanted to rent the sanctuary for a wedding, or a tr*engender man sues because he visited and wanted to share the ladies room with our wives and daughters.

Like everything else, radical liberals are not interested in a "live and let live" approach. They want to destroy every institution that doesn't agree with them, and shut down every voice that would oppose them.

They will use the secular courts to do it and when a church becomes a corporation of the state, they put themselves at the mercy of secular courts for justice.

So far, it hasn't worked very well for Missouri Baptists

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the info - dont have time to digest right now - will try later (yea, right! Confused)

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. What other group have they aligned with?
    2. It is a false dichotomy to compare the church to the convention.

18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Easy enough to look up. No time noe but I suspect bb archives have discussed this.
    2. Respectfully disagree. Both are religious based institutions that have become corporations of the state for "protection."

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great please break down how they are the same thing.

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just did. Both are religious based institutions that incorporated with the state for "protection".

A "church", it can be argued, has secular protection under the U.S. Constitution against political activists trying to influence the way a church does it buisness. The "establishment clause" gives that protection.

When a "church" declares itself to be a corporation of the state, it can be argued and certainly will be argued by political activists, it is then subject to the laws of the state including anti-discrimination laws.