1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Oct 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I interpret that as God is being patient towards giving the saints justice, because He desires salvation for all. I have applied this verse into my tragedy of a life. When prayers for justice go unanswered, I know there is the salvation of my enemies in the balance. I do pray for my enemies salvation and that they are blessed. So, when they go unpunished for grievous sins I remember to have mercy and grace until His patience is exhausted.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe that John 1:13 refers to believers, but to Jesus Christ, where the singluar reading has been corrupted to the plural

3. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    looks like you are more interested in your theological position, than what the Bible actually says. There is no point in any further on this, as I have said all that I need to.

4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looking carefully at the language in the verse, I clearly see that the new birth is of God...not by blood, by the will of men, nor by the will of the flesh.

I don't understand it any other way.
    With respect, my theological position was developed strictly from reading God's word.
    I agree.
    To me, the Bible actually says that God chooses sinners to salvation ( 2 Thessalonians 2:13 ), that believers were chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world ( Ephesians 1:4 ) and that only the foreknown will ever experience the benefits of being predestinated as conformed to the image of Christ, being called by the power of the Spirit, being justified by His grace, His blood and by faith, and someday being glorified with new bodies that do not sin ( Romans 8:28-30 ).

Therefore, if God truly desired all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth, as the passage in 1 Timothy seems to say when isolated to the exclusion of other Scriptures which speak to the same subject, then God's will is split between being selective in who He saves ( Romans 9 ) and not being selective.
    I for one cannot dismiss "unconditional election", because to me, there are far too many passages that describe it in no uncertain terms.

I've said all that I think should be said.
    I wish you well.

5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some points on this

1. Instead of the plural reading, "οἳ οὐκ... ἐγεννήθησαν", there is another which is just as old, and according to Tertullian, the original, is, "ὃς οὐκ... ἐγεννήθη" (Who was begotten)

2. "not of blood", the the Greek is, "ουκ εξ αιματων", which is plural, "not out of bloods", which shows the exclusion of the male sex, which is seen further

3. in the use of, "ουδε εκ θεληματος σαρκος", "nor of the desire of the MALE", where the masculine is used, to exclude the human father.

The Jerusalem Bible is probably the only English version that has this reading, "who was born not out of human stock or urge of the flesh or will of man but of God himself"

the language of the text supports the reading referring to Jesus Christ, and His Virgin Birth.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In every verse listed,only the elect are in view. Now you are getting it.

7. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you are blinded to the Truth by your theology!

8. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to better support us who are nor born again in Christ though!

10. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you cannot account for the use of "bloods" in the plural, and "male", if the reference is to believers instead of Jesus

11. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. I think you mean POTENTIAL salvation ("pontential" isn't listed in the dictionary, but this is the second time I have seen it spelled that way).
    2. Setting spelling aside ... If God wants to save the entire human race, then why doesn't God save the entire human race?

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    thanks, must be my age! :D

13. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is like saying, if God did not want man to sin against Him and fall away from fellowship with Him, in the Garden, then, since He is all knowing, why did He not stop this? Or, that the devil would cause so much wickedness and sin for thousands of years in this world, why did God simply not destroy the devil?

"I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore CHOOSE life, that you and your offspring may live" (Deut. 30:19)

ALL humans have to CHOOSE whether they will follow the Lord or not, as with the time of Elijah and the false prophets of baal

"Then Elijah approached all the people and said, “How long will you hesitate between two opinions (CHOOSE)? If Yahweh is God, follow Him. But if Baal, follow him.” But the people didn’t answer him a word." (1 Kings 18:21)

Same CHOICE is for all sinners today, Jesus Christ, or the devil. Nothing has changed!

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of us are born as sinners, and already in the Kingdom of darkness, so we need God Himself to intervene to save us, as we cannoli decide that by ourselves!

15. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    God COULD have prevented the fall if God really wanted to prevent the fall. The angel with the flaming sword that prevented return to Eden, could have prevented access to the tree. Since God DID NOT prevent access to the tree, I do not claim that it was God’s plan that people not access the tree.

Since God chose not to save all, I do not claim that it is God’s plan to save all.

God CAN do anything, so what God DOES do must be what God intends to do.

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has God changed?

"21 “But if a wicked person turns away from all his sins (REPENTS) that he has committed and keeps all my statutes and does what is just and right, he shall surely live ; he shall not die (BE SAVED). 22 None of the transgressions that he has committed shall be remembered against him; for the righteousness that he has done he shall live. 23 Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord God, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?" (Ezekiel 18)

THIS IS THE GOSPEL MESSAGE! Nothing has changed with the Lord, only with "theology" that is man-made!

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 9:40 PM Pacific.

18. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that I am still waiting for that generation that CHOSE to obey. All the generations that I can remember reading about CHOSE to be unfaithful and disobedient.

That said, I have no disagreement with the quoted verse. I do not think that God delights in evil or draws pleasure from punishing sin. I think that people are VERY VERY stubborn and only an act of God will change a heart of stone into “good soil”. IF a God will give the gift of faith, then the wicked person will turn from his sins.

19. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh, I have already pointed out why Ezekiel 18 is not about salvation of the soul, nor is it a message to the non-elect. You are misinterpreting Ezekiel 18 and thus your prooftext is a false assertion by you.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.