1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God the Son's Assent to The Eternal Covenant of God's Giving Salvation, by Grace.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alan Gross, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wright missed the mark big time though on not seeing that Judaism at time of Jesus had gone apostate, as was under rules and Law keeping!

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Provide a quote from N.T. Wright saying that Judaism at the time of Jesus had not departed from the Hebrew religion and we can discuss it.

So as not to hijack this thread (sorry, I know I'm the one who brought up N.T. Wright this time) I started another. Have at it.

N.T. Wright

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 2 Gurus of the New Paul gang
    E.P. Sanders and N.T Wright

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I caution you to avoid "theological politics" as that would be dishonest and not befitting a Christian.

The "New Perspective" is, of course, not new. It is just not the view of the Reformers. It is still the view Judaism holds (although they do not apply it to Paul).

Important NPP scholars include Sanders, Stendahl, Dunn, Gathercole, and Wright....BUT you need to add tgat all of these men hold different conclusions. The NPP was an appeal to look at the doctrine of justification as it relates to first century Judaism apart from 16th century issues.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The majority of their conclusions were based upon a liberal and critical bible viewpoint though, and tried to read back into Judaism was was just not there at time of Christ!