1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Godly Communication in Writing

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Guido, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a long time now, I've wanted to imitate the style and structure of books in the KJV Bible, trying to avoid intentions and actions of blasphemy. I have repented of that, though not of avoiding blasphemy, but nevertheless I have lately held to wanting to write in lyrical and high-level diction. However, having realized that such is not desire of many readers, I have resolved to turn from that want, Yet I feel as though there is something ungodly about this, because many Christians who hold to the KJV Only position promote it as the noblest monument of English prose, a piece of writing with very lyrical language and maybe high-level diction. And even in the original Greek, the Bible has aspects of writing which I have recently turned from desiring to imitate, such as some pertaining to purpose. Now, if God communicated in that manner, is it then godly or ungodly to follow modern writing advice, which encourages writing with characteristics different from that of the Bible, and especially the KJV Bible, as far as I know.

With respect to prose style, structure, content, and purpose, what is godly communication in writing?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God spoke Hebrew to the Hebrews
    Jesus and his disciples spoke Aramaic
    And the Apostles spoke Greek

How should you structure your speech?
    Communicate clearly what God commands you to communicate - the gospel.

He has told you, O man, what is good;
    and what does the Lord require of you
    but to do justice, and to love kindness,
    and to walk humbly with your God?
    Micah 6:8 ESV
    Rob

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was not the full answer to my question. My question was: What is the godly way to communicate? I was not speaking of only content, and there are certainly other things that must be communicated besides only the gospel.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much of the book of Proverbs is advise given to a son by his wise father.
    Proverbs is considered Wisdom Literature.
    These proverbs are not commands, rather they are wise suggestions.

Quite a few of them deal with a person's actions and communications.

The book of Proverbs has 31 chapters.
    Read a chapter a day, everyday.

For a start, look over Proverbs chapter 12, which has some pointed wisdom about communication.

Rob

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the godly way to communicate? Well, the "style" is absolutely irrelevant. Who cares if it "sounds" like the King James or not?

In whatever way honors the Lord and encourages others - that's the essence of godly communication in writing and in speech..

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That maybe the majority view point. But there are reasons to believe Jesus spoke in the Hebrew.

Matthew 27:46, . . . Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? . . .
    Acts of the Apostles 26:14, . . . when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? . . .

7. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is important is to know how God communicates to us. This has not been figured out yet. In fact we are much farther away now than any generation in the history of the world. We have the Bible translated in many languages and in the English we have maybe hundreds of attempts to satisfy people and it has not happened. Each little group must have their own translation and if God doesn't put a stop to it we can expect more and more in the future. So you are not satisfied with the KJV, eh? Well there is no other Bible you are satisfied with.

What I have learned from the KJV is that God communicates in a circle. Now one may learn that same truth from other Bibles. I do not know because I have not read and studied any of them. I know what I have learned. The preacher in Eccl. says there is nothing new under the sun. What will be, he says, has already been. He wasn't just saying something to fill up a page and to make his prophecy longer. It is truth from God. God begins his truths with metaphors, similitudes, figures and types. He rolls them out in a small picture like the size of a baseball in events or persons or names or numbers and then later he expands them in a similar way but now they become more clear because they have been increased to the size of a basketball. Next they will be like a beach ball and on and on until they are finally matured. Here is a for instance; how many times did the fathers of Israel, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob go from the promised land where God's blessings for them are down into Egypt. Did you realize that the Son of God went down into Egypt? Do you know that prophecy says Israel will be dispersed again in our future and they will go down to Egypt? Over and over rolls the prophetic ball.

There are not many doctrines in the scriptures. But the doctrines in the scriptures are worked out over and over. God does not think like we do. It is a great mistake to think he does. The only people who knows these great doctrines that God in his inspired scripture calls 'the deep things of God" are those to whom he has revealed them. It is the only way to know them. Does this mean all born again Christians know them? The answer is no. God is not a God of magic. Several things must be true of the man who learns them. Above all is he must be submitted to God through the scriptures. The pattern is our apostle Paul when speaking of the deep things of God he said he had determined to not know anything among us but Jesus Christ and him crucified. In other words he believed the gospel of Christ and now he is coming to God as an empty vessel desiring that God would fill him. He said it was the Spirit of Christ that is in us that must teach these truths and all that he has done is wrote the things down in words that the Spirit taught him. It is with these words that God is revealing by the Spirit these deep things. One must determine the same thing that Paul determined and not fall for human reason and illogical ideas of men because they are educated and charismatic.

One must understand that Paul put himself in the only place he could to get these truths. He determined to allow God to teach him. If one reads his testimony of his devotion to the law of God before his conversion he might get the idea that Paul was the most learned scholar of his day. This would take great humility and confidence in God that few Jews were able to achieve if one understands that his apostleship to the gentiles which was his calling caused great persecution from his Jewish brethren.

After reading comments of this forum and others like it I am convinced that not many on these forums are allowing God to determine their doctrines. It may be that some have never experienced the new birth and others have not determined for God to be the authority for their understanding depending rather on the teaching or writings of the sect of the church they have decided to fellowship with. I know this must be true because of the hundreds of denominations that are scattered in the earth today. There is no agreement on anything between these groups and it is in the big picture that God himself is the one who is gathering them into clusters to burn them in the great tribulation that is still future to this day. God calls them tares in Matt 13 where he gives the parabolic teaching of this entire age from the cross to the gathering of the wheat into his barn. This is commonly called the rapture but the biblical name for it is the gathering. See Eph 1:9-11. Well, here I will just quote it for you;

9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
    10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
    11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

He has predestined to gather us to himself to receive the inheritance and it is reserved in heaven for us according to 1 Peter 1.

This truth is a circle beginning early in the OT times but hidden in the events and the people and things etc. only to be revealed after there is enough time passed for the NT church to make the connection of the types. It could never have been seen without some history.

All of Paul's prayers for the church seems not to have found an answer yet except in some individuals. Here is one of those prayers and notice what he asks the Father for.

Eph 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
    16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;

What he prays for.

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
    18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
    19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
    20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
    21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
    22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
    23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

I say just WOW. Meditate on that.

6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
    7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
    8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
    9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
    10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater (over and over and over like a wheel turning in a circle)
    11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

#7 JD731, Feb 26, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  8. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Th
    Thank you all for all the exhortation and information.

Is it a sin to consciously command tone, that is, the emotive and attitudinal quality of the sound of language, in written communication to someone, as long as you do so honestly? I want to write something, in a certain kind of voice which I have yet to determine, commanding my tone consciously for great emotive and attitudinal effect, being kind of course. Also, I think I may not be skilled enough to convey the right emotions and attitudes through the sound of my language, smoothly and realistically, in a more literary style. I know I showed you all something written that was a mistake. I intend to handle content, structure, flow, clarity, and style a whole lot more carefully, in a godly manner, not sacrificing my stylistic and rhetorical desires, except for the sake of the reader, if I think it necessary for their sake.

#8 Guido, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024