1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God's coercion of the thoughts of men.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jope, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

2. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see this as a problem.

I think I disagree with Boethius in the fact that both God and men make decisions (thus allowing for the free will of men, a position which, in this post of yours, sounds like Boethius is against).

God, being sovereign, makes the decisions that I will make.

Or else How could he choose saints to believe, and others to be destroyed?

2 Thessalonians 2, NASB, bold emphasis mine
    13 But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth.

1 Peter 2, NASB, bold emphasis mine
    8 and,

“A stone of stumbling and a rock of offense”;

for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed.

James 4, NASB, bold emphasis mine
    12 There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and to destroy; but who are you who judge your neighbor?​

3. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Acts 17 and Job 7, the event is necessary.

Acts 17, NKJV
    26 And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings,

Job 7, KJV, bold emphasis mine
    1Is there not an appointed time to man upon earth? are not his days also like the days of an hireling? 2As a servant earnestly desireth the shadow, and as an hireling looketh for the reward of his work: 3So am I made to possess months of vanity, and wearisome nights are appointed to me.​

(In this case, the event is "their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings", and Job's question implies that man's days are "like the days of an hireling").

According to Jeremiah 10:23, the event is necessary. God directs the steps of men.

NASB
    I know, O Lord, that a man’s way is not in himself,
    Nor is it in a man who walks to direct his steps.​

#23 Jope, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  4. Inspector Javert

Jope...I think you are jumping back and forth in between both sides of the issue. I can't make heads or tales of which position you take.

You are denying Boethius one minute, and affirming him the other. I can't reasonably respond to this.

If you agree with Boethius I'll respond, if you don't, I'll respond as well.

But you are both affirming and denying him all at the same time.
    I can't make heads nor tales of what you are submitting. You are seeming to take Both sides of the same issue. No one can respond to that.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

To answer the op, this is one of those times we must appeal to mystery. Nobody knows how an omni everything God chooses to interact and react with his finite creation.

6. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It may sound like that to some. And that's why I posted the thread about the rational apostle.

Just because I asked if anyone has ever heard of Boethius doesn't necessarily mean that I've read all of him or that I agree with everything he has to say. I just asked if anyone had heard of him.

It turns out, I don't agree with Boethius' doctrine of no-free-will (if that is indeed his doctrine, and the stanford encyclopedia is correct). What I think is that men still have their free will, but I think that God also coerces that free will, so that both God and men are responsible for the decision. I see this as the position that all scripture agrees with.

#26 Jope, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  7. Inspector Javert

At brass-tacks...I think that statement is self-defeating and absurd. That's an explicit contradiction....

Sorry my man...Much love :1_grouphug: :flower:
    But what you said is absurd.

8. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...Just like, if I were to say that I was thinking about a specific love song, it doesn't mean that I'm thinking it about someone. It could mean that I'm thinking hypothetically and that this song may be what marriage is inevitably like (me being unmarried)...

I digress. (Felt it was necessary though :p).

'Night Javert!

#28 Jope, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  9. Inspector Javert

'Night Jope...:sleep: sweet dreams: :sleeping_2:

10. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much love to you too ;)

Perhaps the only proper designation such a doctrine can be filed under is "dichotomy" or "paradox".

Paul preached a dichotomy (or paradox) in Romans 5:13-14:

ESV, bold emphasis mine
    13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. 14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.​

The fact that death still reigned from Adam to Moses, even when there was no law to count that sin as death, is a dichotomy (or paradox).

Definition of Dichotomy:

a division into two especially mutually exclusive or contradictory groups or entities <the dichotomy between theory and practice>; also : the process or practice of making such a division <dichotomy of the population into two opposed classes>

dichotomy. 2013. In Merriam-Webster.com.
    Retrieved August 16, 2013, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dichotomy

Definition of Paradox:

a statement that is seemingly contradictory or opposed to common sense and yet is perhaps true

paradox. 2013. In Merriam-Webster.com.
    Retrieved August 16, 2013, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/paradox

#30 Jope, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2013