1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God's existence

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the eternal state though...

Why would there be even time existing, for wouldn't god be remaking creation/retoraing fully back to original pristine state as before sin of Lucifer and Adam, so hence no time even?

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My view is that God will be remaking creation back to the Garden of Eden, so there may be some kind of space-time continuum.

3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Please don't mistake my case as an appeal to the majority, I mainly wanted to posit that an alternate reading can be a valid, and that it is the most accepted opinion among commentators and translations. If you were to acknowledge this then we could discuss further... and maybe you have so I'll try not to appeal to that any further.

I really don't think that all of chapter 10 and the 'mystery' is about the ending of the 'space-time continuum'. Anyway, moving on... You use the phrase "...and space/time as we know it will cease to exist." I would have no problem with accepting this claim. The use of "as we know it" seems to be an equivocation since it is a far cry from arguing that space/time of any fashion will cease to exist as it seems that you have been arguing. Is this a shift or did I misunderstand your previous view? These discussions can easily be misunderstood so I'm just seeking to clarify my understanding.
    Peace.

4. humblethinker

Good question.. It sounds like you are confusing 'metered time' with 'time'. They are very different yet it is sometimes difficult to grasp the distinction due to the problem inherent in language :tonofbricks:. It can be said that prior to day 4 that 'time' existed. It wasn't a metered time but there was definitely 'duration' and sequence. This thread I just created should be pertinent to the subject.

#124 humblethinker, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
  5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By saying the original is ambiguous I was saying that both your and my interpretations are valid. Regarding whether xronos can mean "delay" I still have my doubts, but obviously much greater scholars than I believe it can. I'd have to do a full bore study to find out, and my reference books are in Japan. To get your interpretation without the word "delay" you can translate "There will be no more time."
    I haven't meant to say that there will be no space-time continuum in eternity, so I haven't communicated very well. (I originally quoted Rev. 10:6 about God existing outside of time.)

What do we know about the physical state of eternity?

(1) There will be a new Heaven and earth, including the New Jerusalem. They will be perfect, so the 2nd law of thermodynamics (and maybe many other "natural laws") will be repealed. What does that mean about time? I don't know, but it certainly won't be time as we know it.
    (2) What God has prepared has never been thought of by us humans (1 Cor. 2:9). I know some say this can't mean the afterlife due to the Corinthian context, but looking at the OT source I think it can (Is. 64:4).

This is a minor part of the discussion to me, but I've enjoyed discussing it with you and I think you've made some good points. My view is by no means set in concrete. I might change it tomorrow. :smilewinkgrin:

6. humblethinker

10-4.

:thumbs::thumbs: Me too!