1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God's judgement on a pastor!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bruren777, Sep 26, 2005.

1. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

James 3:1, Let not many of you become teachers, my brethern, knowing that as such we shall incur a stricter judgement. NASB

The above scripture applies to pastors and teachers as well as anyone in a leadership role.
    The point here is, a pastor in unconfessed sin will receive stricter judgement than a Christian whom is not a pastor, teacher or other leader.

2. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Okay, but Romans 8:1 says "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus"

So what is this stricter judgement we incur?

3. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I'd really like this explained in detail for my understanding,Please. I think I understand Romans 8:1 but Idon't understand: greater condemnation in James 3:1

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

wouldn't Romans 8:1 be referring to the condemnation of Hell? This does not mean that our works are not judged and deemed worthy or not worthy to stand. As believers we will have our works judged, for they have no bearing on our salvation. And as believers we face no condemnation (or hell) because Jesus paid it all!

5. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I understand Romans 8:1 as condemnation of Hell,but Ido not understand greater condemnation in James. Is it not the same word? I'm not disagreeing I just would like to know how to explain it.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

A stricter judgment may apply to loss of rewards. My pastor teaches that believers will be rewarded in heaven according to our works for the Kingdom. Those who are saved but whose works are burned up get less rewards. A teacher will be judged more strictly because they have a greater responsibility and influence.

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I believe it is a different word, Sample. there is no "condemnation", but there IS "judgement."

Judging, or testing, the quality of our works done on earth for Christ.

The judging in James 3:1 is not unto condemnation, which is an eternal hell......but it is a judgement of our works to determine rewards.

8. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

I agree, we need a more detailed explaination. I opened this thread for discussion, my understanding is, that James 3:1 is quite plain, but thats my understanding.

Would one of that pastors or Bible scholars please explain this?

9. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

But there is judgement. That makes sense!

Marcia, using a clear Scripture to make a unclear scripture is the best way to make things crystal clear. thanks

10. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Marcia, I heard a pastor, I think it was Greg Laurie, on the radio explain that Christians whom have more works will be in the Mansion in Heaven and Christians with fewer works will be in Heaven, but not in the Mansion.

I've not found anything in the Bible that coinsides with his statement. So I don't agree with him. If it's not in the Bible, then it isn't true.
    I'm strictly speaking of the pastor on the radio.

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

</font>[/QUOTE]I think this sums it up quite nicely.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I disagree with this,too -- there is nothing about being separated in heaven from other believers. But there are plenty of passages about rewards in heaven.

(PastorSBC, thanks for the comment!)

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like Mormonism.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The cointext is teaching. As teachers we are not only accountable for our own actions, but for those who act according to our teachings, hence the stricter judgement and the warning not to rush into teaching.

15. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I think Marcia is correct.

16. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

C4K,
    I agree with you!

17. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I believe the consequences are a little more dire than whether or not you will live in a mansion. ("and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works")

Rev 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
    Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
    Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
    Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Also, look at the description of the Judgement in Mathew 24.

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
    Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth [his] sheep from the goats:
    Mat 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
    Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
    Mat 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
    Mat 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
    Mat 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed [thee]? or thirsty, and gave [thee] drink?
    Mat 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took [thee] in? or naked, and clothed [thee]?
    Mat 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
    Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me.

and so on.....

I don't understand how Christians can read these two descriptions of the Judgement and not get the clear message that after acepting Christ as our Savior through grace, what you do has eternal implications. God expects us to be truely 'born again" into a new person and a new lifestyle. We will continue to sin as Paul says in Romans but we must repent and return to a close relationship with Christ.

18. bapmom

bapmom New Member

because the unsaved ARE judged by their works, the Great White Throne judgement is only the unsaved people.......the saved are NOT judged BY their works in order to determine salvation.

19. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Could it be he was talking about everyone wanting to be a teacher and that it was a heavy responsibility and there is accountability for teaching, first to teach rightly and second I think would be the burning of the stubble(bad teaching being bad fruit).At that time many were wanting to be teachers just to be heard some whether they had anything to teach or not( sound familiar).

20. I heard something very interesting by Charles Stanley while listening to a tape series last week.

He said not everyone will be able to appreciate Heaven the same. For those who live Godly by having a close walk with God and are obedient and such. They will appreciate Heaven to a greater degree than someone who just got in by the skin of their teeth or someone who spend most of their time pleasing themselves.

He gave an illustration of two people who go to a musical. One person has musical talant and appreciates all the fine arts of music and how it all fits together, and the other has no appreciation since he has no musical bent towards the arts at all.

The one who appreciates Music and all it has to offer will leave more uplifted than when he came, he will be thinking about what he experenced and just basically thoroughly enjoy the experence. The other will walk away and say well that was ok and move on to other thoughts and so fourth.

That is how Heaven will be. It will be experenced differently for each individual depending how they spent their life. This is one of the down falls to living our life the way we wanted and not Gods way.

When witnessing to people and for those who say they will be in Heaven ( and I KNOW they are not saved ) I ask them well how do you think Heaven will be ? what will you see and experence ? I have yet to have anyone who wasn't saved be able to discribe what they thought Heaven would be like. I then have proceeded to tell them if you are not Glorifying God and enjoying him NOW here on Earth, what makes you think you will want to do so in Heaven ? They will not, plain and simple.