1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God's Picture Book

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Aaron, Jun 29, 2023.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child... - 1 Corinthians 13:11

And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. - Matthew 18:3

The discussions about the Atonement have compelled me to appeal to the types and shadows in the OT to clarify the prosaic and poetic didactics of the apostles and prophets, especially when they touch upon the Person and work of Christ.

Though the pictures begin in Genesis 1 with Creation week as a picture of the stages of Redemption from the advent of light to the entrance into Rest, I'm going to begin with the question of whether or not Christ was touched with the wrath of God 'instead of us.'

However, I don't intend to limit this thread to that topic. This thread is about God's picture book, so any type or shadow that is discerned is game.

It begins in Genesis 3:21, where God made coats of skins for Adam and his wife. The judgment was that in the day that they eat of the fruit, they shall surely die. And they did die, in the substitutes that were killed to make their coverings.

So there we see the offering dying of the judgment on their sin instead of them in the day of judgment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The picture is more clear in the narrative of Noah and the Ark. The pitch used to waterproof the vessel is the covering, and is the same term employed in Leviticus but translated as 'atonement,' and means 'covering.' So the Ark is a picture of Christ.

We all know the story, so let me cut to the chase. The heirs of salvation entered into the Ark, then judgement came. The same judgment that came upon, and destroyed the world and the inhabitants thereof, also fell upon the Ark, but it didn't fall upon the heirs of salvation.

So, judgement came upon the Ark instead of upon those in it.. or rather, instead of upon those in Him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the picture of the Ark and of the Cross is more refined by the Psalmist and the Evangelists. First, there's no question about the easily recognizable Messianic Psalms, and their prophetic nature. Psalm 102 is one. But I can say with authority that every Psalm is a Messianic Psalm. They are the prayers of the Spirit of Christ offered up in our behalf, not only in holiness, but in confession of our sins as if they are His own, (and they are by virtue of His union with us).

In Genesis 7:17, we see the Ark "lift above the earth" by the flood waters, or by the judgment of God upon the sins of the world.

Christ said, "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me."

We're told in addition, that "this he said, signifying what death he should die." - John 12:32-33

What was the cause of His lifting?

Mine enemies reproach me all the day; and they that are mad against me are sworn against me. For I have eaten ashes like bread, and mingled my drink with weeping, Because of thine indignation and thy wrath: for thou hast lifted me up, and cast me down. - Psalm 102:8-10

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another emminent picture to which were directed by the Lord is the brazen serpent.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: - John 3:14 (Numbers 21:1-9)
    If there is any question as to the meaning of one's laying his hands on the head of the sin offering, it can be put to rest here, because what we plainly see on the tree in this picture is not a spotless lamb, but a venemous serpent, worthy of indignation and wrath.

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. - 2 Corinthians 5:21
    This serpent isn't His sin, but ours. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. - 1 Peter 2:24

Anyone bitten by a serpent and looking up at the brass serpent was healed. Moses lifted the serpent, and the law brings a curse. (for he that is hanged [that is, lifted above the earth,] is accursed of God; ) - Deuteronomy 21:23

Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: - Galatians 3:13

His bearing the judgment of God upon our sins in his own body, saves us from that judgment.

There's much more in this picture. Matthew Henry was an able commentator. Commentary on Numbers 21 by Matthew Henry

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    8 And Jehovah said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a standard: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he seeth it, shall live. Nu 21

Note that the brazen serpent was lifted up for those that were bitten. Those NOT bitten had no need to go to the brazen serpent.

.........They that are whole have no need of a physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners. Mk 2:17

6 Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Mt 5

It is the Spirit working within His children that causes them to feel their need for the Savior.

How To Be Saved

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1