1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God's Two Pictures of the Atonement in the Sacrifices

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Aaron, Mar 15, 2022.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Penal Substitution theorists will claim Clement of Rome taught the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement by offering this:

By love have all the elect of God been made perfect; without love nothing is well-pleasing to God. In love has the Lord taken us to Himself. On account of the Love he bore us, Jesus Christ our Lord gave His blood for us by the will of God; His flesh for our flesh, and His soul for our souls.

Clement of Rome

But all Christians believe that in love has the Lord taken us to Himself. We all believe it was on account of the Love he bore us, Jesus Christ our Lord gave His blood for us by the will of God; His flesh for our flesh, and His soul for our souls.

What I am arguing is not that penal and substitution is foreign to Scripture....far from it.

What I am arguing is that the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement is a false doctrine.

By this theory I mean the idea that Christ suffered divine wrath so we would not.

The problem with the theory is it blinds people to Scripture. Some have even gone so far as to hold what the ECF's considered heresy - that the Father separated from the Son.

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it best to ignore your pathetic and increasingly frantic insults If Christ suffered punishment for our sins, who punished Him?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly so. Penal Substitution. His flesh for our flesh; His life for our lives.
    You need to stop using this silly term which means nothing to me.
    You must know perfectly well that I have consistently denied over the years that Christ suffered divine wrath. He never ceased to be the beloved Son. But He bore our sins in His own body on the tree. God laid upon \him the iniquity of us all and He paid the penalty for that iniquity, and it was God who inflicted the punishment (Isaiah 53:10). If He didn't, we shall have to bear that punishment ourselves.
    You and as many ECFs as you like can believe that Scripture teaches the opposite of what it says, but I cannot do so.

Your issue is with the plain teaching of the Bible in multiple places.
    In Isaiah 53:5-8, we learn that the Lord Jesus was 'pierced,' 'bruised,' scourged,' 'oppressed,' 'afflicted, ' 'led to the slaughter, ' 'cut off' and 'stricken.' And we are told that this was a 'chastisement' (KJV, NKJV) or 'punishment' (NIV, ESV). So who chastised Him?
    Well we read in v.10 that 'It pleased the LORD to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief.' So it is actually God Himself who has inflicted these sufferings upon Christ, or, more accurately, it is God Himself who has suffered those things on our behalf in the Person of Jesus Christ.
    For what reason? 'For our transgressions,' ' for our iniquities,' ' for our peace,' ' for our healing.' And to achieve this, 'The LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.' He bore our sins, and He did not just bear them away somewhere like a refuse collector bearing the garbage off to land-fill. He willingly bore our sins 'in His own body on the tree' He bore the piercing, the scourging, the oppression, the affliction etc. in His own body, an it pleased God, in His great mercy, to inflict these things upon His beloved Son to satisfy Divine justice and 'be just and the justifier of the one who believes in Jesus.' It is worth adding that Christ also took upon Himself the curse that God placed upon creation as a result of our sin (Genesis 3:17-19; Galatians 3:13; Revelation 22:3) and expiated it.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I offered no insults.

I agree with the ECF's on this one. There are two biblical ways to look at it.

Punishment was inflicted by the "powers of evil" (that we all suffer under) through the hands of men by the will of God.

But more than that, it was Christ Himself, in obedience, laying down His life (His flesh).

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with everything in the above quote.

What I reject is not Penal and substitution in Scripture or the Atonement.

What I reject is the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement.

That is, that God punished our sins on Christ instead of punishing us. That God separated from Christ on the cross.

You constantly provide passages we agree on and call it "Penal Substitution", but you NEVER provide any passages supporting what you actually refer to as Penal Substitution.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God was not passive in what evil men did to His Son. Yet they are not the ones who pronounced the curse.

What was the curse of the Cross? What does it mean to be made a curse for us.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God was not, I agree. God offered Himself. And the Father offered the Son who lay down His life. God remained on the Cross.

It means sharing in our infirmity, bearing our sins, experiencing the wages of sin.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It means being damned.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Jesus Christ was not damned.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only because He could overcome the righteous curse by His own power.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Because He is God and is sinless.

That is the point of the Cross. He suffered under the curse but never sinned.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be cursed is to be damned.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it isn't. But to be damned is to be cursed.

14. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? According to you I am a rapist and a pagan.

Can you show me where it is explicitly stated that the "powers of evil" inflicted punishment Christ? I can show you where it is explicitly stated that God inflicted punishemnt on Christ. 'The chastisement for our peacee was upn Him.' The context for that chastisement is striking, smiting, wounding, bruising, whipping, oppression, affliction, being led to the slaughter.
    In answer to the question, who inflicted these things upon Christ, we look to Isaiah 53:10. 'Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief.' And if you are inclined to argue that this is not punishment, I refer you to verse 12: 'He was numbered with the transgressors' (cf. Psalms 59:5).
    This is not at issue (John 10:18), though that verse ends with our Lord saying, "This command I have received from My Father.' It was the delight of the Lord Jesus to obey His Father (Psalms 40:8) and indeed to be obedient unto death (Philippians 2:8), but this does not alter the fact of Isaiah 53:10.

15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you agree with this:
    [QUOTE="Martin Marprelate] Well we read in v.10 that 'It pleased the LORD to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief.' So it is actually God Himself who has inflicted these sufferings upon Christ, or, more accurately, it is God Himself who has suffered those things on our behalf in the Person of Jesus Christ.[/QUOTE]
    I'm not sure whether you're trying to fool yourself or the rest of the board here. The very word 'penal' has to do with punishment. Both words come from the Latin poena which means a penalty or punishment. And 'substitution' has to do with one person or thing taking the place of another.
    And this is just your straw man to avoid seriously engaging with the issue.
    Well, what you are doing is making the Scriptures say the opposite of what they do say.
    The Scriptures say, 'Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief.' @JonC says this means that the LORD didn't bruise Him; He has not put Him to grief.
    The Scriptures say, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" @JonC says this means, "My God, My God, You haven't forsaken Me."
    I do so consistently and constantly and you consistently and constantly ignore them. That may be because you don't read my posts properly; I don't know. What I do know is that you have constantly avoided answering my points and questions about Christ being the Mediator of the New Covenant and its Surety.

16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here you are proving the point I made above. You do not believe in any sort of Penal Substitution. Christ, according to you is 'sharing our infirmities' That is not penal, nor is it substitution. He is 'Bearing our sins.' Unless He is actually paying the penalty for them and suffering God's righteous anger against them, that is nether penal nor substitution. He is 'experiencing the wages of sin.' Again, unless He is experiencing them in our place and experiencing the wrath of God against that sin (Psalms 5:4-6; 2 Thessalonians 1:9) so that we do not have to, it falls far short of penal substitution.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You? No. Your idea of sacrifice is identical to ANE, Roman and Greek paganism. But I do not think you are a pagan. You just have carried over pagan ideas into your faith.

And you are deliberately misrepresenting what I said about reinventing history. I said you rape history (you violate history, which should be preserved as pure as possible, l for the edification of the future, for your own gain).

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that it pleased the LORD to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief. I disagree this means that God was punishing Christ.

Look, I understand your tradition. I shared it for a very long time.

But you need to understand that others who disagree with your interpretation do not do so at the expense of Scripture.

The ECF's you quoted viewed the Father as forsaking the Son to suffer and die on the cross. They taught that this was Christ suffering in the flesh (not the Spirit, not abandonment, not a separation, but it being necessary that Christ suffer and physically die).

You disagree, which is fine. But then you pretend your view is the only possible understanding, that the Early Church was stupid, that the ECF's were biblically illiterate, and that most of Christianity has ignored most of Scripture.

You are wrong.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a sin. You are intentionally making false claims against a brother in Christ.

Scripture tells us that God hates a lie. John tells us he gave his account of Christ that we would not sin.

Do you not fear God? How can you do casually forfeit your integrity simply to slander another person on an internet forum?

You sell your character far too cheaply. Do you not realize you were purchased with a price, with the blood of Christ? Yet you mock God, trample Christ's blood, simply because you do not like it that I disagree with you?

I know we do not get along, but I do care about you. I urge you to examine yourself, to recover from your transgression. Your sin against me does not matter, but your sin against God is a serious issue. You are better than this.

If you need a break from the forum then take it. If not, then stay. But please consider your posts more carefully. We will be held accountable for every word, even if we think our true identity is unknown. And you just made a false accusation.

For the members - Martin and I both hold our views strongly. To my knowledge he is not prone to make outright false accusations. I do not know what made him do so in this instance.

For the record I will restate my view, which has been stayed dozens of times already.

Christ was forsaken. He was forsaken to suffer and die on the Cross. And God was faithful to deliver Him, not from death but through death.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe in the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement. I do not believe that Christ experienced God's wrath instead of us experiencing God's wrath.

But Christ is our Substitute (Ontological Substitution). And He did experience the wages of sin for us (which is a penalty).

But this is because you seem not to understand, not an intentionally misrepresenting. I encourage people to argue their views, but I hate to see Christians lie to try and "win" arguments. Thank you, at least, for not lying with this post.