1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Going to the movies

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by musicforyou, May 5, 2006.

1. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Yeah and maybe a few times at that!! [​IMG] ;)

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    >>Should you go to the movie theatre?<<
    I guess if you want to. But I wouldn't personally risk 20 bucks to go see a movie so widely publicized and then have to endure cusswords and blasphemies every other dialogue.

>>What is the difference between going to the movie theatre and renting a movie to watch at your house?<<

Some differences.

1. You can fast forward or mute if the dialogue is getting ugly. Like f words, s words, motherf-words, and so on, or if the name of the Savior, which is the sweetest name in the entire universe is used in connection with sexual ecstasy, or as a form of expletive.

2. You can fast forward if the kissing and the petting gets too steamy or the blood seems to be flowing too freely.

3. You can rewind if you missed what the actor or actress said, or did, or you can pause if you have a 'growing' problem, or ate something a few hours back that your tummy would like to eject from both up and behind.

4. I don't know here in the good ole US of A, but back in me ole country, in my priime you sometimes look around after the eyes get used to the dark and see things you don't want to see if you're a believer.

>>Where do you draw the line on what movies you will watch?<<

the story plot. Adulterous relationships, fornicating relationships, homosexual lifestyle endorsements, violence for the sake of violence, and such preposterous plots as martians coming to earth.

But these lines thin when I know I'm renting, because, like I said upstairs, you got all those buttons to use.

>>Should you watch movies that you would not allow your children to watch<<

pass.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The DaVinci Code is NOT a Christian movie!

It grossly distorts the truth and rewrites history.

It would be better to watch Exposing the DaVinci Code. ;)

4. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

You missed my quotes around Christian. I have many coworkers that know I'm a Christian and know my testimony and seem to want to relate by asking me about these 'Christian' movies (or at least religious as far as they understand) and so that is why I included it since it is the latest controversial movie. ;)

Oh and don't get me started on the "Book of Judas" discussions that come up. :confused: [​IMG]

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Galatians 3:11 ... The just shall live by faith.

Romans 14:23 ... whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

HankD

6. I Am Blessed 24

You're right, MrCoon, and I apologize.

I completely missed the quotes around Christian.

7. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

[​IMG] , spanky!

8. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

Going to the movies... Hmm... I would say that it is better to not go to the movies. Is it a sin? No. One of the main things is that the money you pay for tickets, food, drinks, whatever else goes to support the bad movies also. Another thing is that people who don't know you, see you walking into a movie theater where they are showing a really bad movie and a good movie. Next sunday they visit your church, see you when they walk in, and wonder which movie you went to see. To me it's just better to not have to have people speculate; I think that it's just a bad testimony. My personal conviction.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

But Clean1,

If there's a great movie that comes out...shouldn't we vote with our dollars? That would have an effect on Hollywood, methinks.

Also...if I have such a judgemental bunch that, when seeing me on Sunday they're thinking to themselves, "I wonder what movie HE saw..." and they're looking for rope to hang me with--well, I'd have problems with that type of person, and church.

But having said that, if you feel a conviction...then by all means you should stick to it.

10. I Am Blessed 24

I don't go to the movies because of the expense.

I used to NOT go to the movies because I didn't want to support the 'bad' movies also.

I rent movies and just now realized that I am supporting their 'bad' movies just the same as I would in a movie theater!

Clean1: How do people know when you go into a movie rental to rent "Finding Nemo" that you're not renting an XXX movie?

How do people know when you go into a convenience store/gas station to pay for gas, that you're not buying a bottle of booze?

Most of the time, I buy used/new movies off of eBay - it's cheaper. Does that mean I'm supporting the 'bad' things people sell on eBay? :eek:

Abstain from all appearance of evil.
    1Th 5:22

How can we live in today's world and adhere stictly to this Scripture? :confused:

11. drfuss

drfuss New Member

What is the difference between going to the movie theatre and renting a movie to watch at your house?

Or watching soap operas on TV?

Years ago when going to any movies was considered a sin, the church ladies watched their soap operas on TV. In those days, the soap operas were worse than most movies of that time.

12. I Am Blessed 24

They still are...

13. musicforyou

musicforyou New Member

Thank you guys for your input. I really wanted to see how many people shared the same view as me without anyone basing their answer on my opinion. That is why I didn't post my answer. I feel that going to the theatre is not directly addressed in the bible. It's all about how you feel about it. I personally don't go to the movies because I feel that it supports the Hollywood industry. Most (but not all) of the movies that come from Hollywood (or Hellywood as my pastor calls it) are evil. I do rent movies because most of the movie rental stores that are around where I live don't carry the x-rated movies, therefore, I don't have to worry about what other people think that I am renting. You can also fast-forward or mute to get over the questionable parts. The TV guardian is also great. As far as, where do I draw the line, it really depends. You can't really draw the line at PG-13 or R because some movies that are rated PG-13 should really be rated R and some of the movies that are rated R are rated that way only because of violence not because of anything questionable.

14. pioneer

pioneer New Member

Our family does not go to the theater for any kind of movie. Our children range from 6 months - 21 years old. We have never taken them to see a movie at the theater. We don't rent movies either. We do borrow them at the library and we do buy them on occasion. Our guidelines are as follows:

#1 - We only watch G or PG.
    #2 - We do not watch anything that has a lot of foul language, violence, or sexual situations.
    #3 - We do use a filter on our VCR/DVD player that will silence foul language.
    #4 - Instead of watching a TV movie, we will record it and watch it later.
    #5 - We do not watch anything that is satanic or new age in nature.

Why don't we go to movies:

#1 - Waste of my hard earned money.
    #2 - Cannot fast forward commercials.
    #3 - Cannot silence foul language.
    #4 - Cannot switch to a different channel.
    #5 - Don't wish to be identified with worldliness.
    #6 - Don't like the ungodly crowds.

15. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

As I said... my personal conviction.

16. I Am Blessed 24

I understand and applaud you for that, Clean1. I was just putting out some examples of thoughts other people might have.

And I repeat my question:

Abstain from all appearance of evil.
    1Th 5:22

How can we live in today's world and adhere stictly to this Scripture?

17. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

AWARENESS Christ was always aware of the world around him. And we need to be aware of what we do, where we go and how it may affect our testimony. We need to be seperated from the world as far as Spiritual practices and fleeing sinful lusts, but we can't isolate ourselves from every facet of life. While I'm sure fishing vessels were used to smuggle or steal or whatever doing Christ's time yet Christ used vessels like this without some weird need for "seperating from all things of the world". I should not go into a place that paints my testimony or calls my Christianity into question. Now I use the "snapshot" approach if someone looked at my life just a 'polariod picture' at a time would they see a Christian or just another person in the world? Waht exactly should we do to seperate ourselves? Here's my long list and the most important is:

1. Let God convict you
    2. Let God convict you
    3. Let God convict you

**You get the idea [​IMG]

18. le bel

le bel New Member

Growing up movies were a big, big thing. It was something inexpensive and all of my family enjoyed, this before I had a preference for movies.

I loved horror movies, but now my taste has changed. Many scarey movies of today blur the lines between the supernatural world and reality. What didn't scare me before certainly freaks me out now.

I still enjoy movies, but my likes have changed in a big way.

19. musicforyou

musicforyou New Member

We all enjoy different things, but we can't let our likes and dislikes blur our vision of what God says is right and wrong. Now I completely agree with letting God convict you and God has convicted me about not going to the movies. I don't condemn anyone for going to the movies. I don't agree with it, but it is not up to me to say what God may convict other people about.

20. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I like to watch movies that are based on true stories. I enjoyed Hotel Rawanda since it was based on a true story. It was rated pg-13. I also enjoyed "Crash" with an "R" rating. It isn't a true story but is based on the reality of peoples' predjudgices. I question myself as I watch something, "would it be o.k. for Jesus to sit here and watch this with me?" That is, that I'm allowing God to convict me, or the Holy Spirit guide me on what to watch. I do go to the movies...rarely..but I do go.
    As for my children, they are 14 and 12, I sensor what they watch. They have to ask about a movie before I allow them to watch one.
    But....why do they make "Brokeback Mountain" movies? That is HELLYWOOD! [​IMG] [​IMG]