1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Good Works"

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Ray Berrian, Aug 19, 2002.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again I ask the question:
    What are the good works that God wants us to do ?
    Alms ? Church-going ? Prayers ? Charity ? Abstinence from alcohol, tobacco, and the likes ?
    Bible reading ? Soul "winning" ?
    What good works can we name that the unsaved cannot do ?
    What is it that the unsaved does that we will not (not cannot) do ?

2. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Arminians agree that man cannot save himself - it takes intervention from the Holy Spirit to accomplish that.

Arminians do not block those verses - we interpret them by examining what election meant in the OT and apply it to the NT. God elected the church as a corporate body, not the individuals.

The Bible has more in it to show universal redemption than particular redemption.

There is scant Scripture with this - mainly it's a logical extension of the others. There aren't very many verses to "blot out" here.

Which many Arminians would agree with.

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GRACE AND WORKS

Good works do not proceed, or induce grace; but grace is before and induces good works. Good works then are not independent of grace, but good works follow as a result of grace. Works, whether good or bad, do not lead to repentance; but the "goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance." Neither believers nor unbelievers can induce faith and repentance in themselves nor in others but the Bible says faith "is given," and that Jesus is exalted to "give repentance." We are saved "not of works," but we are saved "by grace." Our works do not bring salvation; but the "grace of God brings salvation," and "teaches us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts we should live soberly and righteously in this present evil world." Men nor all their works cannot save from hell and bring even one soul to God. But "God CHOOSES and CAUSES the man to approach unto him." Since man cannot save himself, he is necessitated to cry unto God, "Lord save me." While we feel a deep concern for our fellow-beings here and hereafter, we cannot save them from death in sins. Salvation is not left with men. With men salvation is impossible, but not with God; "for with God all things are possible." So those dead in sin cannot save themselves, "can do nothing;" but Paul by the Spirit says, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." God saves us from hell and then commands, inclines and causes us to save ourselves from this untoward (bad) generation." God having saved you, dear brethren, by the renewing work of the Spirit, he commands you to work out your own salvation, while he also "worketh in you both to will and to do"--enabling you to obey. So grace and works are linked together as cause and effect. Grace is the cause and good works the effect. Dear brethren, good works are performed by us, but not without God then working in us. When we work out our salvation "it is God that worketh in us both to will and to do of his good pleasure;" for "God hath wrought all our Works in us." To God be all the praise. Dear reader, do you love God and his people? Then you are born again, and as a result of this grace you will be led to perform good works. And I beg you to abound in good works more and more. If some of you who read this have never felt this love for God, but you love the vain ways of the world and are pleased with sin, then your condition is indeed bad. Yet you need not conclude you are doomed to sin and to torment, and so increase in sin yet more. God is able to yet dispose and draw you to Jesus if it seems good in His sight. And him that is thus drawn in loving desire, or "cometh to Jesus He will in nowise cast out." If saved you must be saved, not of your works, but by God's grace, through the obedience of Jesus Christ. If according to his will, may God "put his fear within you" and shed abroad His love in your "heart by the Holy Ghost."

Mexia, Tex. M.D. DENMAN... I felt this article said what I wanted to say!... Comparing Grace and Good Works!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another flaw with the idea of working for rewards is the fact that God doesn't need our good works, the fact that we don't need our good works, and the fact that it is our neighbor who does need our good works. Once we do good works because we are looking forward to getting something out of them, they are no longer good works.

Do I hear an amen?

Ken
    A Spurgeonite

[ August 27, 2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Ken Hamilton ]

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "AMEN BROTHER KEN"!... Two thumbs up and a hearty!... "AMEN!"... Brother Glen [​IMG]

6. KayDee

KayDee New Member

Bro. Ray
    I have to chuckle on this one since if I had to put a label on my theology I would have to label it Calvinism. Sorry, Bro. Ray. My question is, why would any Christian blacken out a command of God? We are saved unto good works and are to walk in them. I also believe in the rewards but maybe a little differently than some. We will receive the rewards/crowns just as the Word says – But – we will lay them at His feet because we were only His tool in doing His works to begin with. In other words, the works we do are not our works, but His.

In His Grace
    KayDee

7. Me2

Me2 New Member

Amen Ken,

God Chose You To Share His Life With...
    Not To Make You His Slave

If You Love God, You Will Follow Him
    Its A Double Honor To Be A Doer, Than A Follower
    God Loves You..You Get To Love Others

And Those Memories Are Yours Forever..did you ever think how Important and unique you will be. You Have Been Chosen to Record Your Life So That In Ages To Come..You Will Be Able To Share It With Others who's Life Was Inadiquate To Be Used As An Example of Gods Mercy. Only Those Memories Of Life That Are Glorifying To God Are Remembered. The Moment You Entered Into The Rest of God. Your Recorder Was Turned On.

You Are The Judge Of What Is A Glorifying Moment of Your Life. and You Also Know When It Is Not Glorifying. Thats What The Law Is..The Blueprint Of What Is and is Not Acceptable Before God.

Your Becoming A Living Testament.....and If The Desires Is Strong Within You..You Will want To Be Sure of The Things You Choose To Do and strive For as Goals..So That Your Life Is Spent Becoming All You Can Be.

First Seek The Kingdom Of God And All These Things Will Be Added To You.

Treasure or Crowns or Jewels or Precious Stones or Fruits or Gifts...All Is From God And For God..and He Shares Them With You....

But First The Work Has To Be Finished Here On Terra Firma....

Gods Children Need To Be Reconciled Back Into The Family..Thats Where The Forgiveness and Mercy and Compassion comes To The Forefront of Our Lives.

....Offering That Cup Of Cool Water.....

We Often Think Of THe Power of God, but The Glory..Its Just Like He Made Us..In His Likeness.
    In The OT..We never Read Where Anyone Has Seen God's Face.... Jesus Says When You See Me You See The Father..Meaning The Face..That Is Where We See The Compassion, the Love and Forgiveness and Mercy...And We Are Made In HIS Image......God Works

Me2
    [​IMG]

8. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

KayDee,

I agree with your post. I too, will 'cast any minimal honor that I might receive', before the Lord, having followed the lead of the elders. [Revelation 4:10] Apparently, they will have received crowns of honor or otherwise they would have nothing to 'cast.'