1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured GOP leaders to skip Selma event

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It goes a bit beyond that Salty. Yea, so many years ago when my then girlfriend, now wife, went to register in a new town she was put through a wringer. Sure, she was white, but they did not know her and were afraid she might not vote the right way. She is just a tad stubborn and stuck with them and their harassment and finally they registered her. There was a black man waiting to register. As she left she said, "Good luck. They are going to give you a bad time."

Same thing can easily happen now. Many people are intimidated easily and would have given up and left unregistered. It happened then and I bet you a Mountain Dew it still happens now in some places.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:applause:

And no matter how many times you try to explain this to people, they are not going to hear it. They don't care that it creates a hardship for other people as long as it doesn't create a hardship for them.

Experienced the same thing after my wallet was stolen TWICE. It's a headache. I found myself praying that someone would just return my license. I didn't care about the other stuff.

It is a royal, very time-consuming, costly process to get a license or state ID in Georgia if you don't have one.

And when THAT keeps certain protected classes from voting, it's illegal and a legislated way to repeat the Jim Crow laws of the past.

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #63 church mouse guy, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
  4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It took me all of 30 seconds to find the Georgia website for their Department of Driver's Services.

It appears that you aren't as familiar with the long list of documents that can be presented in lieu of a birth certificate and utility bills.

The homeless veteran can present his military discharge papers, a medicaid card (which can be obtained via one phone call and on set of filled -out papers) and more.

Yes, I realize that for many people, getting identification can be a hardship. The state should help people here. Friends should help people here. The church should help people in this regard.

But because it's hard, doesn't give cause to say that it just can't be done or shouldn't be done.

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

If you aren't in a stable enough situation to obtain legal identification, then you shouldn't be voting. You are clearly mental unstable or completely irresponsible. It's not about skin color to me at all. We shouldn't let anyone vote that can't manage their own life.

7. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone like you would say that.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, hmmm.....what am I like?