1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gotta An Actual Person Problem and Church Related

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Oct 18, 2010.

1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It is horrific to me that you would advocate someone breaking with a church over this incident, which is, let's face it, not a huge issue.

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Uh...911 is for emergencies. Unless someone's life was imminently threatened, there is no emergency here.

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Dropping an f-bomb can be offensive and shouldn't be used with children, obviously, but it's a minor infraction in the grand scheme of things. And Christians are set apart to save, which is not talking about regeneration, but the entire process of "being saved."

That means some of us will, because of the flesh, be offensive sometimes...and will also be offended at other times.

4. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

911 is a direct line for dispatch, if you want someone to be dispatched immediately you call 911. Emergency, minor as it maybe, emergency is determined by the caller and the dispatcher. Don't pick apart someone's post when you understood their intent. Sometimes people don't have the local authorities number memorized believe it or not.

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

What it says to *me* about him is that he is a normal Christian with normal flaws.

What it says about the church is "hey, if they include him, they won't be shocked at me. That's a church I can be a part of." :eek: How about that? A church that accepts people as they are, flaws and all!

Isn't it a bit of a double standard to excuse bad language in nonChristian, but not have the grace to excuse a brother in Christ when he slips up? Remember, by that which you judge your brothers, you in turn will be judged.

I find it more "fake" that you are harboring this bitterness against your brother and HE HAS NO IDEA HE OFFENDED YOU! What do you suppose he would think about you if he knew you were discussing him in this manner and with such vitriol?

6. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

I have trouble figuring this whole situation out. In many, many, many years of church work I have never heard the F-Bomb used a single time by anyone who had a leadership role in the church. In fact, the only time that I ever heard a swear word, it was a "lesser one" (as judged by men) and it was someone that I knew quite well and was an isolated event in a moment of heartache.

I am aware of an instance where a parent thought they heard a Youth pastor curse adn it was brought to the church pastor after the parent confronted the YP directly. The YP claimed that she misheard what he said...the youth were consulted and backed up the youth Pastor. She continued to claim he was not truthful.

This is why the church needs to be very careful in who it allows to work with youth. It is hard to imagine that an experienced RA leader would slip-up so badly around a new church member he barely knows.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I'd be careful and make sure I heard that for sure. I've mis-heard people before when I thought they swore but they had not.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't believe reporting the vile molestation of a child is an emergency? I am glad you are not around my grandkids!

9. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

That was my intial thoughts as well and I hope that's the case; but in context, there really isn't another word it couldn't have been. We weren't talking about duck hunting, so that couldn't have been it.

10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

So have you followed the Biblical approach and spoken to this man one on one? Or are you still just whining on an internet forum about it?

11. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Tap your brakes brother. I don't know why you want to bow up to me on this, I was just merely picking the brains of the group. Sorry, did your toes got a little squished or you were rubbed the wrong way and your feathers got ruffled for some reason.

I wanted to get some opinions and scriptural support, now I have it. What I do with it is what matters. I didn't bash the good ol' boy, I just pretty much stated the facts.

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Don't be absurd. If you're sitting there talking to the guy one on one, as is supposedly the biblical mandate in this situation, and you actually get the guy to call the police to turn himself in, it's not a life-threatening emergency.

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go ahead and cover it up. See if I care. Been there. Done that. Called 911.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is up to the individual local church.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This is the exact reason that some people have no business in leadership positions, that is, the person quoted. Some people lack such discernment that they equate the severity of the punishment for the offense with a Biblical solution. The two have nothing to do with each other. Here is a step by step procedure that has nothing to do with the Bible.

Cursing out of any leader must be addressed, by the Holy Spirit lead wisdom of the local church. That may or may not mean dismissal. It may mean repentance and restoration. It may mean some other solution. What is does not mean is a self appointed know it all making the decision driven by stupidity.

How did molestation ever get into the thread? Was that the original problem presented? And we wonder why the church is in the shape it is today? Is this the thought processes of the typical chuch leader?

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My advice FWIW, you need to talk with him.

Though he is a leader he may be a babe in Christ.
    He may also have a military background.

I was saved while in the military and it took a couple of years for the Spirit of God to clean up the nooks and crannies of my life including the use of vulgar language.

I agree with others and would at least give him the scriptural allowance of godly counsel.

Look at it this way, don't feel a sense of dread, you may be God's human instrument of sanctification in this man's life.

HankD