1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grace: potential or actual

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Greektim, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes that is what it says. There were two groups. One wanted to learn of God, one was self righteous and didn't see their need for salvation. Stop looking at it through Calvinism.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Aaron,

I have been waiting a long time for even one Calvinist to not misrepresent what I say and I am still waiting. We are conceived with the "old man" corrupted nature, and therefore we have a hard time not sinning from conception. Our corruption did not begin with our first sin, but Adam's did. And that is exactly what the Bible says, sir.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am just telling you the way it was.
    The heart was pure at creation and Adam chose to corrupt it.
    We have a choice.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I agree. When some see they are losing the battle they miss-represent what is said. Also you are correct about Adam. He chose to corrupt himself.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cry all you want. You have no choice but to say sin springs from a pure heart.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ said a good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit. You're saying Adam was good till he brought forth evil fruit. Gotta go with Christ on this one . . . sir.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Somehow Aaron, don't see that too many of us will be crying over this. If you wish to be content that your position on the matter has it all neatly "tied up", well that is OK.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Did God create a corrupt man? You seem to be saying that God is the author of Adam's sin.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Please show where Christ said that Adam was corrupt before he sinned.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already did. "A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit."

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Would you agree that there can be no temptation without the possibility of give into it?

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Matthew 7:15 and following Christ teaches us how to recognize false prophets. We can recognize them by their fruits. He illustrated this point using the example of a fig tree producing thisles, i.e. people actually teaching godliness will produce fruit, but people teaching deception and misrepresention will produce evil fruit. Adam is no where to be found. Yet those who advocate for Calvinism are undeterred for according to their standards of bible study, ripping verses out of context to support man-made doctrine is stardard.

And in the parallel passage, Luke 6:43 and following again we get the idea of what we say reflecting our heart condition, with out of a heart that treasures goodness come godly sayings and out of a heart that treasures evil comes evil. Again, Adam is no where to be found.

Yet this helter skelter approach to biblical doctrine is advocated by Calvinism's advocates. Go figure

13. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a fruitless (and gutless) accusation to hurl at a position that does not agree w/ your view. We all believe we have the biblical view (otherwise we would change it as some of us have). And we all believe that our view adheres to the context of Scripture (which is why it is our view). Therefore we all believe that those who dissent or disagree w/ our view must be "ripping verses out of context to support man-made doctrine". However, even if we believe that, it does not help at all to say that above since the same stupid accusation could be hurled right back at you only to accomplish one thing -- pontifical name-calling.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

You have ripped a verse out of context. Jesus was talking about false prophets, not Adam.

Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Everything that God made was "very good". This includes Adam since God made him, correct?

Your view has scripture contradicting itself, proving that you are wrong.

15. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Adam's sin came from a bad CHOICE, something we all have the ability to do.

16. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

[snipped - inflammatory]

#76 Robert Snow, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Greektim,

Here again we see yet another gang attack on my character, saying I am gutless, rather than my position. The problem of granting the possibility that Calvinists could actually believe their view is biblical is that they systemically misrepresent mine, or shift discussion to my character.

I showed that Matthew and Luke were talking about false prophets and not about Adam. For you to claim the quote was not ripped out of context is absurd.

Truth is never stupid.

Folks, no matter how many charges against me personally the Calvinists hurl, pay attention to the content of their posts. They have nothing!

18. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really??? You are going to sit there and say you were misrepresented when just a few words earlier you claim I called you gutless???????? I said your accusation was gutless. If you make your accusations equate to yourself, then I would propose that you have some deeply rooted issues. Otherwise, you should recognize a distinction. If you don't want to be misrepresented, then I would expect you to return the favor. Just sayin'.

19. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.