1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Growing Spiritually

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by steveo, Dec 19, 2004.

1. steveo

steveo New Member

Can someone grow spiritually buy just reading or studying at home(listening to tv preachers,etc), without being part of a church(group of believers)?

2. baptistk

baptistk New Member

Yes, I believe so but it is a great help to have a church and friends.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

You might grow some, but God has built us together, we strenghten and are strengthened by each other, we need each other for growth for fellowship. Why would a believer not want to be with other believers? There is no such thing as a Lone Ranger Christian, you can not and are not supose to do it alone. I wouldn't trust any tv preachers for spiritual growth, and you need peopel who are more studied and learned and who God has given understanding to, the gift of teaching, plus the joint public worship, these are al for our benefit, for our growth.
    Christianity is not a me myself and I religion.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't think you can grow much spiritually just reading or studying at home. Your knowledge and faith must be nurtured by fellowship, prayer, and worship with other believers. You must also be accountable.

I agree with DonnA.

To be a truly effective believer, you need to be with other Christians. After all, the church is the body of believers in Christ and you are cutting yourself off from that if you don't participate.

5. steveo

steveo New Member

The reason I ask is that a member of the family said they didn't need the church to grow, just the word and a preacher on the radio.
    But my question to them was, if you are not being obedient by worshipping with other beleivers and put yourself under church leadership(heb 13), then can you grow?

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

You might want to point out the 'forake not the assembling together of yourselves' verse, joint public worship with other believers(other examples in scripture), which they are in voluntry disobedence. So I would question, wheres the growth if they don't mind disoneying something so plain and simple.
    If they can't grasp the little stuff, neither can they learn the meat and grow.
    New borns don't eat steak, and I've seen some people who've been christands for 10 or 20 years and still on a liquid diet with not much understanding beyond the basics.
    Thats exactly where your relative can expect to stay, as long as they exclude God's people.

7. Brownov

Brownov New Member

Steveo,
    the real problem is that this family member is not being obedient to the Word of God. Growth is not the issue, it is just a deflection away from the real problem. The question he/she should ask is will you obey God's Word and go to church, or will you ignore the clear teaching of His Word and live in rebellion. See 2 Peter 1:3-9

8. steveo

steveo New Member

Thanks for all your input. When it comes to family, It makes things hard. This family member brings me & our family down spiritually all the time. I sometimes feel like just saying we don't want to see you anymore but at the same time I don't want to be nasty.

9. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

You can grow spiritually at home, which is exactly what I use to do. After awhile though, I really wanted to be around people I could share my passion with. Going to church every week is my way of showing that I love the Lord and want to publicly worship him. Maybe your family member just hasn't found a church they feel comfortable at. Be patient with them! Talk to them about what they are learning on their own and see if they have questions you can answer. My sister is very much like this and doesn't believe she needs to go to church. I just keep trying to find little ways to get her interested. I won't give up!

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

God is the one who does the growth in us, and if we are living in disobedience ignoring Him and His command to gather together to worship Him then why would He casue us to grow when we obviously do not want too.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No, because he is in rebellion to God's word. I agree with DonnA's last post and with Brownov.

This is how cults often start and how some people get in them -- those who start cults rebel against the "regular" church and think they can do better, or be more like the early church. Others who are dissatisfied with their church or are out of church or are in rebellion to their church get attracted to this "new" group or leader.

Your relative is disobeying God and is opening a door for Satan to use that disobedience and rebellion. It's not a good place. Unless he's a shut-in, he should be attending and serving in a church.

12. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

The brethren above are exactly right. There are occasions when God might isolate a Christian for a period of time, for teaching or another reason. Its unusual, though it does happen. BUT IT NEVER LASTS. Even in rare cases, when God is through with the work He is doing in His child, He will always lead them to a church home for all the reasons posted above. "We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren." 1st John 3:14.

But that is not the scenario you have described. Pray for him, and take the advice offered above.

FWIW, to listen to TV preachers or to learn from "Christian" television, is to play Russian roulette using 5 bullets. Radio is much better, more like using 3 bullets - then, on the first pull, there is only a 50/50 chance you will blow your brains out. Of course, no good thing ever lasts, so the odds increase with the second pull of the trigger.

Seriously, every Christian needs a healthy, Biblical, balanced church. It's the only way.