1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Guns you own?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ivon Denosovich, Oct 30, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

This is quite an indictment.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Only if it applies.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I said that, name the post #.

I'm not looking it up (on short time right now), but it's in Luke; "And if you have no sword, it shall profit you to sell your garment and buy one." [Jesus]

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Fair point - you have given me food for thought.

5. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Lol. I have a knife collection too! :eek:

6. reformedbeliever

I have a Winchester 7mm mag that I would love to sell you. It kicks like a mule... lol.
    No, really, I don't want to sell any of my guns... or knives for that matter. :)

7. reformedbeliever

There was a woman mauled to death near Ada Oklahoma recently. About three men tried to get the dogs off her and could not. It was not until one ran home and retrieved a gun, shot and killed one, that the others ran off.

8. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Originally Posted by hillclimber1
    It sure is. I'm wanting a long range, high velocity rifle. Something that I could maybe shoot with reasonable accuracy out to 6-7 hundred yds, maybe even a thousand.
    Maybe a 300 Win Mag.....suggestions?

For plinking maybe something smaller?

For hunting? .270 with proper handloads. .300 Win. Mag, 700mmMag, .338 Lapua are all good for that range.

For target? .270, .30-06, .308 (.30-06 and .308 are close ballistically) M1 Garands are still used at Camp Perry for 1000-1200 yds shoots. I prefer bolt action for better performance.
    Nonsequitur

9. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Changed my mind after shooting a 300 win mag today. Too much kick. see pm reply Ns.

10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

It might help folk not in the UK to understand the position regarding defence of one's home, if I say that by far the majority of household burglaries here are committed by unarmed criminals. The latest figures I could find (for 2005/06) say that of a total of 300,555 burglaries, only 2,162 were committed by people carrying any sort of weapon, or to use the legal jargon, "aggravated burglary". That is a mere 0.72 per cent. So if every burgled householder that year had actged as judge, jury and executioner by "shooting the burglar between the eyes", 298,393 unarmed people would have been shot dead.

11. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Maybe a 7mm Mag. or something like a 25-06 will do nicely if you don't want a magnum. :thumbs:

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Sako TRG-41 in .338 Lapua

[​IMG]

#92 poncho, Nov 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2007
  13. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

An old Mosin Nagant captured and reworked by the Fins (heavier barrel, smoother trigger) with a good scope will give respectable groups out to six or seven hundred yards and only costs a tiny fraction of the Sako TRG's. A National Match M14 ($$$) will do the same as will a FAL or L1A1 when set up and used properly. Even an old worn out Lee Enfield will "keep their heads down" at that range. :smilewinkgrin:

I have a Mosin Nagant Model 38 carbine in 7.62 x 54r (75 dollars) that I have accurized in the old school Russian manner...free floating the barrel and magazine well and bedding with oily strips of cloth and paper that'll shoot 1 MOA with handloads all day long, with the original iron sights. Still working on mounting a scope to it using a Weaver Number One scope mount (40 dollars) like I have on both my Savages. Come to think of it I've been meaning to get around to making the trigger adjustable...yes, you can make a MN standard issue trigger adjustable for pre travel and over travel with a little time, a chunk of steel, a stove bolt four nylocks and some silver solder! Smoothing and decreasing the trigger pull itself consists of nothing more than (gently) removing the mill marks with a fine file and a bit of sandpaper. Not a bad deal for a good solid performing "long range" carbine that cost less than 200 bucks (minus the scope) huh?

Here's some info on building some fine shooters from Mosins and Mausers.

#94 poncho, Nov 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2007