1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Had Enough

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by steaver, Jul 10, 2017.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The wife and I have had enough of this dysfunctional Republican party. Ashamed to be named among them. The only reason we registered Republican is so we can vote in the Pa Primaries. We are going to go ahead and change our status to Independent.

I can't believe these idiots cant come up with a basic bill that keeps the government out of the people's health care choices. If they fail on this they can kiss the House goodbye in 2018. And then there is Trump, why isn't this great negotiator knocking heads together and making things happen? This aint rocket science! Get them together and ask them all what they want in the bill so they can vote yes...and put it in!

• Like Like x 2
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, well, well...I'm quite taken aback. You're throwing in the towel a bit early, aren't you? I've never thought Trump could get the big items on his agenda passed but I'm willing to give him until, say, next summer to get something done. By next summer House members who are up for election (which is all of them) will get cold feet and turn into bowls of quivering jelly. It's very doubtful that tough votes will be taken in Sept and Oct of 2018.

It seems that Trump does not know how to govern. He knows how to campaign and hold rallies, knows how to insult and fight the media, but accomplishing his agenda is proving difficult.

The latest on the health care bill is that Cruz wants to allow insurance companies to offer bare bones policies to the healthy people while also requiring companies to offer plans for people with pre-existing conditions. He seems to want to trade-off requiring many of the Essential Health Benefits so people can save money on insurance for increased government subsidies to insurance companies called Cost Sharing Subsidies to cover the increased costs of sick people. I'm not sure if that is the best cost-effective strategy, but at least it would restore consumer choices and freedom in the marketplace. I don't need mental health coverage, addiction coverage, or pregnancy coverage, for example. I ought to be able to pick a policy that doesn't have these coverages and save money on my premiums.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Time will tell.

HankD

4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm...If I remember correctly, Pennsylvania has that strange primary where you vote for delegates? So you kind of have to know which delegate on the ballot supports which candidate. I suppose that creates more intelligent voters, but fewer voters overall.

After voting for McCain and Romney the past two elections, I said I would never vote for a lukewarm so-called conservative Republican again. I did register as Republican and voted for Rubio in our Minnesota primary. But keeping my promise to myself, I didn't vote for Trump in the general election; I didn't vote for anyone for President.

Join the movement to third party candidates or abstaining. It's the only way to force the major parties to change.

• Like Like x 1
  5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and when will your own personal deadline occur? I've said mine is next summer.

If the GOP loses control of the House in Nov 2018 you can bet there will be no movement on Trump's agenda, except perhaps the infrastructure program. That one if full of pork and House members can be bribed to vote for it with earmarks.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes next summer if there is still a stalemate the Trump reign will be OVER.

Even his loyalist (like myself) can only take so much.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's what Dear Leader said about the GOP Senate health care bill:

“This will be great if we get it done, and if we don’t get it done it’s just going to be something that we’re not going to like, and that’s OK and I understand that very well.”

Doesn't sound like he's all revved up about repealing/replacing ObamaCare to me.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if its something I don't like, even to the point that its still an entitlement AT LEAST they DID SOMETHING together!!

HankD

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't understand why anyone would be a member of any party. Welcome to the ranks of the independents.:Thumbsup

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The only down fall to being registered as an Independent in Pa is you don't have any say in the democratic or republican primary unless you are registered as one of them.

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He is acting just like Obama on this topic. Rather than LEADING what the bill IS GOING TO BE, he is just waiting for the bill to show up, any bill, and he will sign it. Same thing Obama did 8 years ago with his party and look at the crap we got thrown upon us.

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just repeal the Obama Care bill unanimously first and this forces them to start over and come up with something else. And if they don't, we are better off not having any government bill at all. Let the free market compete for our dollars from coast to coast.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that Obama actively campaigned for health reform. He even gave a nationally televised speech to a joint session of Congress. He also called in to a televised Republican confab.

Trump? A tweet here and there is all he's really done. Insulted some reluctant congressmen.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yup.

15. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL! No, not for these guys. If Trump succeeds in one area, they'll ignore it and move to another. Just look at their track record. If the Senate does act, they'll say it was in spite of Trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They do not want to pass a bill. Trump is herding cats. It is an impossible task. The Rinos talk a good game, but have no desire to really change anything. The freedom Caucus wants to change everything, but get nothing done because the will not compromise on anything. Its a mess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He does not like the concessions he knows the house will have in the final bill.

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What concessions does the House want?

Traditionally the Senate gets the last cut at legislation, then it goes to conference committee. Here the Senate usually holds sway. I don't see the House having much to say about it at that point.

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am hearing they are going to try to strip some of the government subsidies to the insurance companies.

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Subsidies are like drugs. They will take all they can get and continue to beg for more. They should get zero, they can make plenty of money on their own, even giving customers truly affordable rates.