1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hall of Shame

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TexasSky, Aug 9, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

As I said earlier in the thread, I think that website serves as a reminder to us that we need to follow God, not men.

As to the accuracy - many of those stories made National News, with the men involved confessing. After people asked me about the accuracy, I did some quick internet searches on those I didn't already know about - and each of them are apparently documented in things like biographies, autobiographies or AP wire services.

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Regarding the issues of divorce - the fact it is so rampant is one reason I think it is imperative that men of God step aside when they find themselves in that situation.

It is very difficult to teach a message of "do as I say, not as I do," and be taken seriously. If marriage IS important, and if our families DO matter second only to God, the church leaders need to set the example. We would tell a compulsive gambler or someone openly fornicating "its fine."

We treat divorce like, "it is something that happened to you." We often feel that way, because in the end, while we struggle to put a marriage together, and a spouse is struggling to pull it apart, it feels that way, but we need to ask ourselves, how did we get to the point of no return in the first place?

3. patrick

patrick New Member

Is not Stanley, still the husband of one wife? As far as I know he nevere remarried. I am just wondering?

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Patrick,

What should keep Stanley out of the pulpit, in my opinion, is the instruction to have his house in order.

5. Songbird

Songbird New Member

When I read that list I was saddened. I almost felt like one of the pharisees who stood with the stone ready to kill the adulteress--who was caught in the very act. It doesn't say (to my recollection) that she acted like she wanted to repent, but Jesus saw her and He forgave her and encouraged her to sin no more.

The folks listed I know are "high profile" Christians--simply meaning they are/have been in public leadership. But they are still human--no make that sinners saved by grace (I know not all, but most are). Yes the sins they committed were horrible and many people were hurt. But if they have repented (truly repented), we can no longer point fingers at them. We need to let them live their lives and let the Lord use them--not saying they need to be restored back into the pulpit. But God can salvage their lives. One thing I am careful about is harshly judging other Christians, b/c I don't want to find myself in that same sin (think Jimmy Swaggart in the Jim Bakker situation). And it's by God's grace that I have not found myself in some of their situations.

I'm not saying just to slap their wrist and let them back into the pulpit. There are consequences to sin. Sadly, some the men (and women) listed may have ruined the ministry God called them to. But I have to go back to repentence and forgiveness. God can use broken people.

Instead of reading that list and thinking, "how dare he/she" can we add those folks (still living of course, lol) to our prayer list.

Take care.

Linda