1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Halloween?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Calminian, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Curious how you all view it. I've had a change of heart in recent years. Can't get into it now, but will explain soon. That said, I've been back and forth over the years.

[​IMG]

#1 Calminian, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have no problem with it, in principle, but my sister and her husband used to have epic Halloween parties and my brother in law and I had such a competition over costumes every year, that it kind of took the fun out of it for me. So, now, I'm not really into Halloween. Ate so much Dominoes Pizza when I was a Dominoes manager back in college that, thirty years later, I still can't stand Dominoes. I feel about the same way about Halloween.

Although, I will be expected to wear a costume this year, so I have a Confederate officer's uniform I will be wearing this year.

3. Calminian

Site Supporter

That should go over well, in today's political climate (at least in my neck of the woods). :) LOL! Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of political incorrectness.

As for me, I loved Halloween as a kid and then shunned it as an adult Christian. Saw some videos linking it to Samhain and the occult, and we just decided to skip it in protest. Also, in my reasoning back then, I couldn't find a way to put God in the middle of it. How can you have a holy day without something pointing you toward God? I can focus on God in all other holidays, just not thing one.

I changed when an epiphany hit me. What could Halloween teach us about God? ...Not the watered down harvest festivals and trunk or treats events, but the dark one? What biblical lessons could I teach my kids from the traditional American Halloween, focused on death and wickedness?

Then it dawned on me. With the infiltration of evolution and millions of years in Church thinking, most Christians are probably confused about the origins of death and wickedness. Most don't really understand the bad news that preceded the good news....... especially kids in the Church. Lightbulbs lit up immediately.

Now my kids and I participate in the traditional halloween, but look at the symbolism with very different eyes. I've used this season to explain thoroughly the bad news of the fall, which made the good news of the Cross necessary. Halloween has become creation/fall/flood season for my family. Instead of avoiding the symbols I now explain them—their origins and their eventual doom. We even look at the candy as a symbol of God's grace in the midst of a fallen world.

Not saying this will work for everyone. I respect Christians choices on these matters (Romans 14).

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's why I chose it. I'm a history buff and am descended from the Lee family, so it's always been an interest of mine, anyway, but now, I feel like I kind of have to, to both honor the men who fought and died for my state and to poke the Obamunists in the eye.

I can understand that. But you've got to be really careful with those videos. I learned that the hard way. When I was a new Christian, I fell for a lot of that stuff, only to find out that it was nonsense.

So, at the very least, I would caution you to learn from my mistakes and use discernment. Don't just believe the first thing you hear. A lot of these "ministries" use Satanism and Eschatological events for the sensationalism factor to drum up business but are, in fact, about as reliable as the Weekly World News. So check out a couple of sources, talk to some older saints, and consider it prayerfully before you believe them.

Very good point. Before we can share the Good News, they first have to understand the bad news.

5. Calminian

Site Supporter

As far as the Samhain and occult connection, I think I'm on the same page as you. Did a lot of research on the history of Halloween, and I don't believe there is a connection. I think you can make the case that the catholic church moved All Saints Day to November to eclipse pagan celebrations, but there really isn't much there after that. Halloween in American morphed into something very different and very few Americans have even heard of Samhain. It was originally a prank day, after the Depression.

Regardless, I don't believe we're bound to uphold traditional meanings of symbols. We're free to pour any meanings into them we wish.

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Full disclosure, I opposed it until I had kids.

7. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

It's that time of year again, folks! Time for two to three threads to be started concerning Halloween, with half the board claiming it's Satan's holiday, and the other half saying it's an innocent nothing.

And if this doesn't sate your holiday debates, stay tuned for late November when we get into whether it's ok to lie to your kids about Santa clause, how a Christmas tree is/isn't pagan, and more!

... Obviously, I'm making light of the fact that the same threads are started year after year after year. But you're new here, Calminian, if I'm not mistaken. But seriously, do a search for the topic and you will see that every year it comes up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

8. Calminian

Site Supporter

Its the first time I've talked about the issue here. Wasn't sure if this was a big topic here, but it certainly is on other forums. And yes, they all seem to get hostile.

I defer to Romans 14. I don't think God wants me to shame or lecture anyone over how they handle Halloween, especially having been on both sides. I hope it stays civil.

And for those who do participate in Halloween, I'd like them to consider using the Holiday as an opportunity to teach their kids about the origins of death and evil in the Creation account.