1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas in sports

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Nicholas25, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I have been disapointed the last several years in the continuing trend of people saying happy holidays as opposed to Merry Christmas. This was also evident on sports television stations and websites. However I noticed that ESPN and ABC (same company) decided it was ok to use the word Christmas on Christmas Eve and today (Christmas Day) during Monday Night Football and the Christmas Day NBA basketball games. The scoreboad on the screen during the NBA game said happy holidays but it also said "Christmas Day Special." During breaks they cut to clips of the players saying Merry Christmas. The last two years the players said happy holidays. The announcers also used the word Christmas freely.

This might be insignificant to many, but it made me feel good. It is like the higher ups at ABC/ESPN decided all through December we will say holidays, but Christmas Eve and Day are what there name says they are. Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Christ, whereas the term holidays is generic. I just felt good that they returned to using the word Christmas this year. I never thought I would see the day where the saying "Merry Christmas" would offend so many.