1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Happy Spiritual B-Day!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Benjamin, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Upon hearing this claim of a mother to her child I took pause to think about whether this common phrase fit the act of Baptism.

Offhand, personally I can think of at least 5, I’ll call them “jumps” in spiritual awareness or growth and at least 3 were before being baptized.

So to think of my day of baptism as my Spiritual B-Day doesn’t really add up if I already had the Spirit and was realizing growth.

That said, I was baptized twice and the first one, water poured at a Methodist church, definitely felt like a spiritual hit, whereas the second, basically to appease my friend and Baptist Pastor to be dunked, although an honor and belief of joining a Christian brotherhood it felt more like going through the motion than a major spiritual growth step.

Or is baptism merely just traditionally known or referred to as your spiritual birthday?

Opinions?

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My spiritual birthday is March 13, 1971. That was the day that the Holy Spirit broke down my last resistance to believing in Jesus as savior. I ended up going forward at an invitation an evangelist gave at a service I was at on a Saturday night. I confessed my sins to God, repented, and believed in my heart that Jesus was risen from the dead and had paid the price for my sins. I was born again.

I was baptized about 5 months later.